User Tag List

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree2871Likes

Thread: March 2018 Frugal Chatter

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@Ciel : If you happen to be at No Frills, check the clearance section as they were getting rid of all their dry seaweed at the location I was at. It was 20 sheets for $2.22, I think.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@sweet sparrow -I'll see if one of the Hamilton No Frills stores is doing a clearance! I'm out of seaweed for about a week and I'd like some more. Thanks for the tip! @barbis9 -the second Value Village is at Millcroft Centre, one of Burlington's Big Box developments. I had a marvellous transit operator who gave me directions of where to disembark (still was several minutes hike to store) where to get the bus again. Since I had the transit map with me that helped but basically I exited the store after 1 hour (some departments needed a good checking!) and I saw a bus 1/2 block from a bus shelter and I sprinted across the parking lot to the now closer pickup spot. The operator said she saw a flash and thought it might be me (I had informed her I planned to be back on the bus on her return trip). My scores: a sparkly dark purple 800w Vidal Sassoon hair dryer (tested it as per @Lindaevans tip at the test station) for $4.99 (no discount), a slightly small for me black Banana Republic notched lapel jacket (too good to leave behind though I did for 20min then snatched it off the rack again)-if it does not fit, I know someone who might! for $7.50 (after discount), a ramie/cotton 3/4 sleeve women's spring weight jacket (slightly shiny sheen due to the weaving of gray/white/black threads-for Mom)-$2 (after discount), and a 14W black cotton panelled skirt with stitched roses all over (my local store had a much smaller size in stock once but this skirt has more fabric so more room for alteration)-$5 after discount.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The ramie/cotton jacket only had one of its two buttons but hey, I'm willing to shop for new matching buttons!
    Did not see sewing patterns at the Millcroft store (2030 Appleby Line where it intersects Upper Middle Rd (centre is on the NW corner)) but!! I saw more of the opaque large round plastic Sears shower rings (early 2000s vintage)-$2.99 for a set of white ones packaged with a smaller brand of clear rectangular rings in one back but there was a second white set bagged, as well as a third set of Sears rings in light beige (like the ones I got in Ancaster last week).

I did go to the other Value Village store on Fairview Street-no major finds but did spot a Twik (Simon's brand) cap sleeve black knit top-$1 after discount. I can wear it under sweaters. Sewing patterns-very few fashion ones are on the back pegboard. This store uses category cards with white text on black backgrounds, not the red and white cards (older version).

After three snacks and a library visit, I headed for Stoney Creek. What was meant to be a quick 5min visit ended up being more like 30min search and seek mission. Sewing patterns are mostly crafts (toys or coats for dogs) or loungewear/sleepwear. No luck finding pants-I seem to always find a large size 11/12 section and either see some brand names that sound good but look like the pants were in a catfight or keep finding stretch or casual pants. Coats/blouses/hosiery-no real finds. Random discovery-a lightweight cotton beach type towel in powder blue tones-thought it was a wave design (when I opened it at home, it seems to have a swan in flight design)-$3.50 after discount. There is one set of white Sears curtain rings in a bag for $2.49? in the Stoney Creek store (yes, it was a thing for me to go and spot them).

So as the store closed and I had 30 min for the next bus home, I thought it was time to have Harvey's for supper. However, Taco Bell was right before Harveys, so time for a Double Layer Nachos Big Box meal (which had a large pop). Somehow I ate everything within 20 min and still had a few minutes left to wait for the bus after a quick walk back to Eastgate Square! If you love Taco Bell, don't forget to print off their free double layer taco coupon for when you spend $6.99 or more on a combo (coupon expires on April 25) from the website. I also completed the receipt survey and now have a code to get a free taco (hello, Lime Ridge Mall food court).

Ran a load of laundry in the washer last night and did a container of hand laundry-all of it dried overnight-happy!

This morning, I found a beer can and a dime on my way to the library! I had cooked the tricolour quinoa with some lemon juice and zest for breakfast and also put my pepper strips to roast with oil and salt. Combined both food items and that was breakfast with some Oasis juice.

I did not take my 4 can finds from last night in to the store as the sky seemed to promise rain and I was keen to return my library items dry.

Made the mistake to head for the clearance section at Shoppers-found some marked down red and white gummy bears to buy. Must walk off those calories...
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Mar 6th, 2018 at 12:32 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Where's Ms. Sunshine in Hamilton today??? Waiting for me to post those two one pot or pan meals? I'll type them right now.
    Angela273, barbis9 and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The recipes are now posted in One Pan Suppers over in the Food subforum.

Afternoon plans: launder the "new" clothing and towel, check to see if the button collection at home does not have suitable buttons before visiting the sewing store, and visit the Mall Rd Fortinos/go to Taco Bell at the mall food court. Have some tea and make more progress on recipe wrangling/making an index to know which recipes I do have.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Mar 6th, 2018 at 01:03 PM.
    Angela273, barbis9 and macw1960 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

nice finds and great buys at value village ceil ,I missed it but I gave my daughter-in-law an awesome day by visiting and holding fussy baby cara while she hung pictures ,a mirror and went thru ashlyn's clothing ,hubby and I got a meal out of it too as son said stay for pizza
    -supper tonight fish ,French fries and peas -maybe a meat pie for me

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

todays unlock deal on checkout51-is apples .I have made an extra 1.00 this week from the unlocked deals ,yes .Wish me luck I have to hold 5-7 bottles of water in me for an ultrasound today -wow that will be hard
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I received my new Chapman’s coupon that I requested in January. I also received a trade.

I have a question. I received an FPC with a max value of $10. Do you know any stores that will put it through for the full $10, regardless of the price of the purchased item? I don’t want cash back, but to use the overage towards the other items that I am purchasing.
    Thanks.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    todays unlock deal on checkout51-is apples .I have made an extra 1.00 this week from the unlocked deals ,yes .Wish me luck I have to hold 5-7 bottles of water in me for an ultrasound today -wow that will be hard
    I hope all goes well. I sure know it is hard to hold all that in!
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I received my new Chapman’s coupon that I requested in January. I also received a trade.

I have a question. I received an FPC with a max value of $10. Do you know any stores that will put it through for the full $10, regardless of the price of the purchased item? I don’t want cash back, but to use the overage towards the other items that I am purchasing.
    Thanks.
    I have no idea but feel that if your item is not that full value, YMMV in getting that overage.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I did not make it to Fabricland for buttons but did get a ticket to a local draw that has a lovely jackpot sum and got my food bank donation shopping done. Will admit that I spent time with the current flyer at home to adjust my shopping list and stuck mostly to it. Do check dates on products-the first Quaker Super Grains cereal (on sale this week) I picked up had a March 2018 date so I put it back and look for something later like June.

Fortinos Mall Rd's clearance rack at the back of store near Nature's Health/Chilled area had several Off Clip-ons on clearance. The price on pink stickers said $9.60 each. I found a Yoga apricot nectar tetra pack (3x200) pink-stickered that cost me $1.10 to buy. Drank the drinks on last bus as I was feel dehydrated.

I stopped into my local Sobeys in Ancaster after my bus ride and looked for something to buy. What is the meaning of no Paldo seaweed snacks with little red cards that state Do not Restock without Authorization (@sweet sparrow )? I did not stop at the Upper Paradise No Frills to check for the clearance deal you posted (my transfer was almost out of time). Have to see what the state of seaweed is at Fortinos, as my Shoppers has not had snacks for about two weeks (little space has been empty).
    barbis9, macw1960 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The button bag at home has about three possible contenders to land on the light jacket. Thought I had a similar blue-gray button close to the somewhat shiny charcoal gray button on the jacket but I was wrong. Walmart offers two black suit buttons in two plain styles that don't suit the jacket--even took my measuring tape along to verify the button size.

The flaky snow will freeze tonight, so please ensure you give your walkways and driveways a quick cleaning before suppertime. Weather forecast shows -10C for Hamilton ON tonight. Yesterday's fine snow was just powder snow and very light.

I happen to see the Len's Mill flyer preview for March Break and laughed at the cartoon at the top where there's a Mom with crossed arms-one child says I'm Bored and the other child says Me Too. Guess the flyer intention is to offer craft ideas for March Break. I'm not a parent and feel concerned for SCers who are parents of minor kids on March Break soon-make sure to plan for some quiet time or serenity for yourselves during that break. Imagine if Lowes or Home Depot would run a similar cartoon with a Dad character with the same two kids for March break flyers...

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Happened to see this information card taped to car seats for kids whose parents may not be able to speak for them:
    https://ca.style.yahoo.com/genius-ca...1&noRedirect=1

I can see the merit of a card, but one with more privacy (folded and in a marked sleeve). This personal information should not be easily seen through a window.

Thoughts?

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Thanks.
    @Angela273 : I pricematched an $8.99 item at WM and used an FPC with a max value of $10 and the cashier put it through for the full $10. He was adamant that his was the correct way of doing things, but I think it's the exception rather than the rule. Usually, if it's an FPC, it just covers the cost of the item, not overage unless it's save $X amount on an item. I do have some other FPCs that I need to use before the end of March, so I guess I'll be testing that out again soon.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Yes nat it was hard holding in 6 bottles of water but they called me in 10 minutes early at 12.50(thank goodness) then daughter-in-law had to feed cara before she came and got me so bought a few scratch tickets won $3.00 on a bingo only spent 7.00 after the win last night hubby's brother called he won 5,000 on a poker scratch card either it was a 3.00 or 5.00 card (good for them as they need it)
    I may buy my daughter-in-law a gift card for picking me up the 3 times now from all the tests at the hospital (as its quite a drive for her)-she prefers timmies over mcdonalds
    I will find out next week the results of my ultrasound when I go and see my urologist-nope its not a baby in there either infact I think I had an easier time than the pregnant women sitting there today as I didn't have a baby pushing on my bladder -lol
    -off to make an easy supper spagetti
    Last edited by coupon girl; Wed, Mar 7th, 2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Natalka, Angela273, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread Information