User Tag List

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree773Likes

Thread: Covid-19

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Ciel it is funny you mention coupons, I was not looking for them but oddly I noticed our No Frills had coupons. We do not have a coupon board, they are just placed on product shelves of there were some on the freezer doors. Normally finding coupons here is rare so to see them now was weird.
    Ciel likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hard to find eggs. Don't know if this is because of COVID-19. The store is out of the sale eggs and they did not get enough delivery trucks. Found the liquid eggs and liquid egg whites. Will use some and freeze some. COVID-19 is making me become more creative.
    Ciel, coupon girl and 2shopmom like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Hard to find eggs. Don't know if this is because of COVID-19. The store is out of the sale eggs and they did not get enough delivery trucks. Found the liquid eggs and liquid egg whites. Will use some and freeze some. COVID-19 is making me become more creative.
    Yes, it's due to COVID-19. https://nationalpost.com/life/food/c...19-food-supply
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

Thank-you, Ciel, for all the information that you have been sharing!
    Last edited by avoncallingu; Fri, Apr 17th, 2020 at 08:58 AM.
    Ciel likes this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ooh and Jamie Oliver posted a food processor recipe for eggless chocolate cake...just in case you wanted cake but wished to save any eggs for meals. https://www.facebook.com/jamieoliver...6847438671583/

I informed Mom that I won't use any of the precious yeast in her cupboard for tomorrow's baking. She does expect me to colour eggs tomorrow as I said no to doing that activity today.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

SDM had lots of eggs for $2.29. This is the price for the past couple of weeks.
    I got 2 and DH got 2.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Forgot to mention that Jack Monroe on Twitter (TinCanChef) is running a #LockdownLarder thread helping those in UK with various food items make use of them. You might find some inspiration there.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Came across a health care app (developed in Burlington ON) for chronically ill. The app was recently expanded to help with virtual care and is currently free for use (at this time) for first-time users. https://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...=&utm_content=

The latest version of the application includes a comprehensive symptom tracker for temperature, pain, fatigue, cognitive ability and nausea, as well as medication dosage and prescription tracking, which are all key factors in managing a chronically ill patient’s progress and treatment, according to a press release accompanying the new health-care app’s launch.

This is how the app, which is being offered at this time for free to first-time users, works:
    Patients and caregivers can access Chronically Simple’s free trial at chronicallysimple.com or by downloading the app through the App Store or Google Play.
    Thought to share this item in case it helps members assist someone with virtual care needs.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Apr 21st, 2020 at 03:58 PM.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

recorded and shot pre-pandemic

how did they know?!

Ciel, luvthefree and Linda Evans like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I think this is a pretty creative way for a real estate agent to drum up business and help out with food banks at the same time. She posted on our towns website that if you contacted her and let her know that you had a food donation for our local food bank that she would pick it up and leave you a lawn sign that says thank you to our front line workers. We know it is legit because our mayor approved it. My wife contacted her and she emailed my wife back that if we put our donation on the porch at 9:00 the next morning, someone would pick it up. The following day the donation disappeared and a sign appeared on the front lawn. She also left her business card and a hand written thank you card in our mailbox.

Here is a pic of the sign she left

Name:  covid.jpeg
Views: 300
Size:  115.0 KB
    Last edited by Thatdone; Fri, Apr 24th, 2020 at 01:22 PM.
    heartgirl99, Ciel, GoJays and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@heartgirl99 Someone in Toronto made a similar video of an empty Toronto. https://twitter.com/Ctrice/status/1253368148172161029

Over in the All Purpose News thread, I posted two articles about two things that COVID-19 can do to people who have it. I don't recall media coverage here in Canada about either situation but the eye fluids/pinkeye and bloodclotting are real.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by heartgirl99 View Post
    recorded and shot pre-pandemic
    how did they know?!
    Sorry to correct you, but technically the "original lyrics" of the song was written a year ago by Keith Richards but never recorded. This was according to a blurb I saw on TV yesterday. The song was re-written (according to Richards) to be less "dark" than the original but to also match the current times, he says... although not much re-writing was involved, Richards admitted. I had also heard that they recorded a demo of the original song last fall, but never released it as it was supposed to part of a possible new album. (although it's possible the song was finished pre-pandemic, I'm fuzzy on that part)

The video, on the other hand, was definitely NOT shot pre-pandemic. It was filmed recently, during lockdown in various major cities around the world (London, Toronto, New Orleans, Los Angeles, New York, etc). Note that the signs in Picadilly Circus in London identify to stay home, save lives, and protect the NHS... (at 0:06) ... that's not faked. -- Neither are the signs that mention Covid-19 and "Happy National Pet Day" (which was April 11th) in a similar shot at Young-Dundas square in Toronto (at 0:40). The in-studio parts of the video were (I assume) from the studio session demo recording last fall.

Either way, it's a very timely and impressive song & video for the times.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Fri, Apr 24th, 2020 at 07:05 PM.
    heartgirl99 and Ciel like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

And since we're sharing videos... this one struck me the other day. It's a bit eerie, but powerful at the same time.

Last edited by bhlombardy; Fri, Apr 24th, 2020 at 07:07 PM.
    Ciel, Darth Penguin and luvthefree like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thrift Store.ca sent a link to some versions of face masks one can make at home (sewn or no-sew):
    http://thriftstore.ca/creative-style...diy-face-masks

About the MGH plan to use hot water to wash all donated masks -anyone with familiarity with elastics or nylon knows it's a cold water wash situation. The hot water is going to make all the elastics scratchy and warped; in other words, single-use!

And cotton is pricey and it'll likely shrink in hot water.
    I personally would not use quilting cotton (tightly woven & pricey-you've heard me rant about how hot my blouse made of this cotton is on a day above 25C or a humid day)--imagine how you'll be panting on a hot day or in a hot room! I have a patterned pastel pillowcase (300 thread count cotton for outer layer, men's cotton handkerchief for inner lining) set aside for project mask. Not sure what I'll use for the "elastic" but the stretchy straps on my Uniqlo Airism are in the running for use (they are pale pink and would go with white/pastel floral print of outer layer fabric).

Here's Bernina Canada's instruction link:
    https://19336922-b49e-4eaf-943b-c356...1b6c6b3bdc.pdf

Tips on elastic alternatives (sewists know that bias-cut fabric strips have the most stretch):
    https://www.facebook.com/TSPNewmarke...1149?__tn__=-R

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Not sure what I'll use for the "elastic" but the stretchy straps on my Uniqlo Airism are in the running for use (they are pale pink and would go with white/pastel floral print of outer layer fabric).
    Have you considered hair elastics or stretchy sewing elastics from the dollar store?
    Or just plain elastics from like Staples?
    Ciel likes this.

Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information