User Tag List

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree773Likes

Thread: Covid-19

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks to the Twitterverse (I followed an account called @countFloyd2020 and a follower of account posted about the survey), I learned that StatsCan has a short survey on COVID-19 where Canadians can chime in on what they are doing during the pandemic, rank their level of concern about health for selves or others in home plus related topics like what is your primary social channel for news or which authority you look to for updates on pandemic. Survey runs until Apr 16 and you can opt in to be contacted for future surveys (I only entered my e-mail address, not a phone number, and that worked).
    Correction-found the link via Twitter with dates:
    https://www.statcan.gc.ca/eng/survey.../5311-COVID-19
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Apr 5th, 2020 at 08:02 PM.
    Newfiescreech and Linda Evans like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    I saw a post on facebook from someone that works at a Walmart customer service desk, showing 7 or 8 big containers of formula. Said it was panic bought, then returned because the people claimed they didn't need it anymore.
    And it all went in the garbage.
    Such a waste.
    And here I am waiting 1 month on Amazon for my formula order that Loblaws has not been able to fill

SMH on those people but also, shame on Walmart for taking it back. Panic buys should be final sale. You hoard too much, you pay the financial consequences. Our friend in Barrie was picking up a Walmart order today and said there were people trying to return toilet paper they hoarded and they got turned away
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Laser toy and temp gun in one? Guess you always look away when someone is using the thermometer (thinking of eye precautions around laser lights).
    Ciel, most temp guns with a laser aim have the ability to turn the laser off to get a reading. It's more of a "sight" to target the infra-red sensor. But yes, pointing it near someone's face with the laser on would be a bad idea.

Also depending on the temp gun, many arent rated for accurate body temperature readings.
    Anyone using these infra-red surface readers shouldn't rely on the "usual" ranges (eg 36°C or 98.6°F) for a fever reading.
    Because heat escapes from the surface quickly, these readers tend to read low. For example: When using an IR gun, I typically read about 31°C (87.8°F) while I will register about 37°C (99°F) from an ear or oral thermometer at the same moment. (I have been testing all three regularly lately... I gave up on the IR one)

However if you're going to use the IR method, you should benchmark what "normal" is for the person based on that device, and then gauge a fever from that. For me, reading 31°C as "normal" on an IR gun, a fever would probably be 37° from that device, even though 37° from another device wouldnt normally be considered a fever.

Additionally, because it's reading the surface temperature... if the person just came in from the sun, for example, or a hot shower, or was just cooking over a stove, or just finished a workout, etc the reading will be higher than expected as it's reading the surface temperature as heat is escaping the body and not necessarily the "body temp".

These same activities don't affect the inner ear nor oral temps (nor rectal temps, but nobody really wants to be taking those)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

My condolences, @walkonby , on the passing of your musician, John Prine. His death was announced via headline on the morning program today.
    Newfiescreech and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Postal services impacted for some destination countries from Canada to them. See my post:
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/437265...1/#post7041931
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Bernina Canada will be doing a Facebook Live on Thursday at 3pm ET to show viewers how to sew a face mask. You can also read this post and access the pattern: https://www.facebook.com/berninacana...type=3&theater
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    And here I am waiting 1 month on Amazon for my formula order that Loblaws has not been able to fill

SMH on those people but also, shame on Walmart for taking it back. Panic buys should be final sale. You hoard too much, you pay the financial consequences. Our friend in Barrie was picking up a Walmart order today and said there were people trying to return toilet paper they hoarded and they got turned away
    Some people are monsters. Wow...what a horrible waste. Get what you need folks!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sheridan College recognizes that there could be college students in need of bursaries to help with housing/basic needs or even technology. College started a $1M fund. https://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...us-in-the-gta/
    Effective immediately, Sheridan students are able to apply to the COVID-19 Emergency Financial Aid Bursary, kick-started with an initial sum of $1 million provided by unrestricted donor support and funding from the provincial government.Students, both international and domestic, are eligible to receive up to $1,500 to assist with immediate needs like food and housing as they cope with the loss of part-time jobs.
    The fund can also be used to help students who lack access to technology, like the internet, so they can participate in remote learning.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I think today I am shocked by how many people think they are following the rules and staying home....well, except, they did stop at their grown son/daughters place, but just for a minute, you know to give the little ones, the school aged grandchildren, a hug! Or, that since they have an Easter THING planned--its ok, cause it is just the local family (you know the ones who live within 100 kilometers), they will be ok. Just following the rules!
    I want to yell at them (by text message), but it won't make a difference.
    I have spent the last three weeks hoping that a family member would recover from a health issue that required an air ambulance ride to another city. Not able to visit, talking to a doctor/nurse every day on the phone. Having to make serious decisions from a distance.
    ---- But what do I hear from people? How important being with their family is at Easter! Well, I would like to be with family...but that is not going to happen soon, if people don't realize that their actions can have consequences.
    Done ranting...going to make masks.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Given that my brother seems to be going through AAs at a fast clip (headphones etc), I realized both local places to access the spent battery drop-offs may not be available. The municipal centre is closed until late May and Fortino's barrel is at the west end, now the emergency exit.

Each little thing is adding to shorter tempers. I already get comments about my use of his Internet.

Since our Prime Minister is indicating that we might be into summer before restrictions ease off, we may as well think about making our own victory gardens (veggie patches/fruit orchards) and figuring out which online places might best cover once per month supply needs.It may mean paying for direct delivery if the grocery pickup/delivery services remain on a two or three week backlog.
    Newfiescreech and Linda Evans like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olivercat View Post
    I think today I am shocked by how many people think they are following the rules and staying home....well, except, they did stop at their grown son/daughters place, but just for a minute, you know to give the little ones, the school aged grandchildren, a hug! Or, that since they have an Easter THING planned--its ok, cause it is just the local family (you know the ones who live within 100 kilometers), they will be ok. Just following the rules!
    I want to yell at them (by text message), but it won't make a difference.
    I have spent the last three weeks hoping that a family member would recover from a health issue that required an air ambulance ride to another city. Not able to visit, talking to a doctor/nurse every day on the phone. Having to make serious decisions from a distance.
    ---- But what do I hear from people? How important being with their family is at Easter! Well, I would like to be with family...but that is not going to happen soon, if people don't realize that their actions can have consequences.
    Done ranting...going to make masks.
    You should report those people. In Toronto you can call 311. It's illegal to have gatherings of more than 5 people in Ontario and more than 2 in Toronto. It's because of people like these that we are all in indoor jail. My loved one has been unable to walk since January. How am I supposed to go help now if I am an asymptomatic virus carrier? People are suffering and people like the ones you mention need to be called out and pay financial consequences. Tickets around here cost $1000. I hope your loved one is recovering
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Seems like everyone has a facemask on when I went to grab groceries today.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Indigo is doing author talks on Instagram Live. First one is on tonight 7pm EDT: https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca...C-A1F9B1E0DD48

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

https://www.mississauga.com/news-sto...ing-from-home/

Noticed some changes at Fortinos Ancaster:

Looks like the coupon board and hand baskets have been taken out and most magazines are gone but daily papers are sort of obscured by a mobile checkout cart. Ditto the mobile candy/gum/phone card racks-they are in a closed hot food area. Actually saw Kleenex pocket pack tissues on shelf but most packaged tissue club packs and single boxes are out of stock. Limit of 1 dozen eggs per person. Have to queue up by the sale Easter chocolate for checkout and wait for employee to call out an open or about to be available checkout clerk. The crowd control barrier (across the front of the store by checkouts) is very much like how Target funnelled customers in its early days at new stores.

There are still random shelf pad coupons-the Kraft roasted dark peanut butter or whatever the brown coupon is for was the one I saw in the breakfast foods aisle.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, Apr 14th, 2020 at 06:13 PM.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

How to plan for a 14 day food supply before you head out to the stores:
    https://www.sachem.ca/community-stor...14-day-supply/

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information