User Tag List

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: April 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am still using the "expired " jar that was in my fridge and all 3 loaves of that bread I made has turned out perfect. I can only imagine how nice they will be when I begin to use fresher yeast! ha ha
    Oh and also I misread the date on the jar...it actually says BB August 28 2017....good grief!
    DD tried to snag me some fresher stuff while she was at work, but as you said Ashley...no stock available.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I actually read an article on yeast yesterday and the companies that produces (makes? not sure of the right term) have said that this has taken them by such a surprise that it will take one but more likely two months to recover. They were not prepared for some many households to start using yeast.

Locally I have seen a lot of people are actually buying it from restaurants that are now limited to take out only and are not consuming as much. A number of restaurants are now offering "Take-Out" Boxes which are basically boxes of supplies you cook at home. Everything from meat to produce to baking boxes are being offered. Well actually this is the bigger town about 30 minutes away, most of the restaurants where I live including those who only ever offered take-out have decided to just close for the time being. It is a good idea and most of them are even offering these boxes through uber eats and skip the dishes so it is all contactless delivery, something my small town does not offer.

Just as this was all starting I managed to find a store that had a case of yeast on the shelf so I grabbed 2 jars just to be safe. So far we are still using the open jar we had in the fridge when this all started but that might change as I need to make buns either today or tomorrow and I am sure we will have pizza soon too.
    One of our local restaurants were selling boxes of meat and I found it strange. People were raving on the boxes of "frozen" meat they bought and it was far from a good deal in my books. Surprised you are seeing this too lol
    Giseledta, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

afternoon -just cleaned out a second drawer (the one that holds my freezer bags ,waxed paper ,saran wrap etc .Stopping for a tea and slice of banana bread.

Hubby doesn't want to go for a walk ,and I can see a tiny bit here and there of snowflakes .

Called my husband,s sister who lives alone she is 56 and she had just gone for blood in a clinic (only 3 people in there she told me)she has never married or had children ,but she laughed when I told her about the granddaughters in the tub I watched on my tablet last night at 6.30 p.m

Just did a load of laundry ,man it hasn't been this cold since the 80's they said on this date .I remember I met my dear hubby on april 19 many years ago (around 43 years ago )and it was super hot out that year ,shorts type weather.

Is food heightened in taste or drinks for anybody on here? -I really enjoy my Tetley tea now ,savour is sip.lol

Supper tonight fish and French fries with corn on cob.I may make scalloped potatoes for me .
    Last edited by coupon girl; Thu, Apr 16th, 2020 at 12:41 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I ordered from amazon on march18/20 $46 worth of these dry mouth tablets I really need as I deal with this a lot I already paid off my credit card and I still haven't received them yet ,amazon is not taking any calls and I cant email them .But I was able to contact the seller which is a medical firm in florida ,at least amazon has a record of this it said .I will see what they message me back with ,it said to give 2 business days to hear from them.

Has anyone else dealt with longer times with items coming from amazon?

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I must admit, most of the boxes I have seen even though I am not shopping the sales and am spending a bit more on groceries (although more so to be honest it isn't as much paying more as it is buying more or buying early or where I have paid more it has been like $0.50 - $1 so when you factor in gas) the prices have no impressed me. Plus buying these boxes blind concerns me as are you getting the stuff that is about to turn so that is why they are selling it off where they use the fresh for take out orders? I know, I know I shouldn't think this way but it is the same feelings as I have with grocery pick up, do they have my standard for picking out meat and produce.

Actually the best one I have seen so far is someone posted about a box they got from one of the local Mexican Places and it was a fajita kit, yes everything was chopped up for you but the savings of buying the box to cook yourself vs them cooking them was not a lot. Granted I would have to chop it myself (but this is me, I love chopping, I might need a 12 step program) but for what they paid I could have made multiple meals including possibly paying more for some of the produce (anyone else noticing peppers not going on sale???).

To each there own, I know my one brother did one of those fundraising meat buys, he was ecstatic about what he ordered (do not think he has received yet) but the rest of the family either said the quantities where not worth it or a few us said the prices seemed a bit high. Again you are buying unseen, he was all excited about the amount of chicken they were getting but me I question how "nice" are the Chicken Breast. I have admitted it before I only buy Chicken Breast from Costco as last time I got them from both RCSS and Metro they were not nicely butchered and by the time I cut off the gross bit they were tiny. Not to mention I find grocery store chicken breasts so small we have to use 2 to 3 for a meals where is at Costco if I cut it up 1 Chicken Breast feeds both of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    One of our local restaurants were selling boxes of meat and I found it strange. People were raving on the boxes of "frozen" meat they bought and it was far from a good deal in my books. Surprised you are seeing this too lol
    Giseledta, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I have seen people say that right now amazon is only guaranteeing delivery of essential items. all Non Essential items may be delayed, someone said yesterday when they were looking on Amazon all non essentials have a delivery date of May 15th.

Do you know, was Amazon shipping it directly or was the company in Florida shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    I ordered from amazon on march18/20 $46 worth of these dry mouth tablets I really need as I deal with this a lot I already paid off my credit card and I still haven't received them yet ,amazon is not taking any calls and I cant email them .But I was able to contact the seller which is a medical firm in florida ,at least amazon has a record of this it said .I will see what they message me back with ,it said to give 2 business days to hear from them.

Has anyone else dealt with longer times with items coming from amazon?
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I must admit, most of the boxes I have seen even though I am not shopping the sales and am spending a bit more on groceries (although more so to be honest it isn't as much paying more as it is buying more or buying early or where I have paid more it has been like $0.50 - $1 so when you factor in gas) the prices have no impressed me. Plus buying these boxes blind concerns me as are you getting the stuff that is about to turn so that is why they are selling it off where they use the fresh for take out orders? I know, I know I shouldn't think this way but it is the same feelings as I have with grocery pick up, do they have my standard for picking out meat and produce.

Actually the best one I have seen so far is someone posted about a box they got from one of the local Mexican Places and it was a fajita kit, yes everything was chopped up for you but the savings of buying the box to cook yourself vs them cooking them was not a lot. Granted I would have to chop it myself (but this is me, I love chopping, I might need a 12 step program) but for what they paid I could have made multiple meals including possibly paying more for some of the produce (anyone else noticing peppers not going on sale???).

To each there own, I know my one brother did one of those fundraising meat buys, he was ecstatic about what he ordered (do not think he has received yet) but the rest of the family either said the quantities where not worth it or a few us said the prices seemed a bit high. Again you are buying unseen, he was all excited about the amount of chicken they were getting but me I question how "nice" are the Chicken Breast. I have admitted it before I only buy Chicken Breast from Costco as last time I got them from both RCSS and Metro they were not nicely butchered and by the time I cut off the gross bit they were tiny. Not to mention I find grocery store chicken breasts so small we have to use 2 to 3 for a meals where is at Costco if I cut it up 1 Chicken Breast feeds both of us.
    I don't think I will ever use the Click and shop method. As you say, My standards are way too high. Even my guy drives me crazy that he never looks at the expiry date when he buys stuff.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

RE: Amazon. I haven't bought anything lately but my oldest has and seems to get all his packages right away and I know for a fact they are not essential! Unless Music gear/accessories is essential...well to some it is

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

sassy -it was not from amazon but another business I take it in florida (medical outlet I guess).Oh and the food I ordered last night said may22/20 it is expected and it was all food .Again I don't have prime but regular amazon ordering .

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Could be a couple of issues, one is the company still open and shipping, not exactly sure for Florida what is deemed essential vs non essential.

Also I have found anything crossing the board is taking longer, even if considered essential. Right now shipments coming in LTL (less then truckload) that normally take 1 to 2 days are taking 5 to 7 days. Not sure if this could also be effecting parcel post.

I believe since you bought it through Amazon even though they were not shipping it you can still dispute it with them. I have heard of Amazon giving refunds on third party sales. Only issue is right now not sure where this falls on their priority list. Since it is medical it should be deemed essential but everyone has their own interruption.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    sassy -it was not from amazon but another business I take it in florida (medical outlet I guess).Oh and the food I ordered last night said may22/20 it is expected and it was all food .Again I don't have prime but regular amazon ordering .

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

everything i am ordering from amazon is fast. equally.. i have order 2 boxes... 1 - 2 kids crafts, and some gardening stuff, 2- puppy pads, and more gardening stuff. and i have prime. my amazon shopping is way, way down.

my youngest called in for work tonight. she is .. stressed. and sleeping. middle child is on thier way home. should be here in 20 ish min,

lady across the street ( with the 17 yr oldish teen age daughter ) is at work... how do i know.. her car is gone... and the 17 yr olds boyfriends car is there....

i made a chicken pot pie for supper. one of middle childs favs. it will be nice to have them home.

my brother is back to not talking to me.. I called him a Dumb A!! as he is not liking paying for his meds 1 month at a time.. to many service fees... granted his service fees add up to 50.00 per month. but... he is being a dumb a!! .

ok. need tea.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

I decided to make scallop potatoes for me with my steamed fish today ,don't want hubby's French fries ,using up the fresh corn I got on Tuesday .

I went for a walk today 18 minutes as it was snowing this afternoon and cold, had my toque on and gloves
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks @sassy Ashley for the yeast shortage update! Mom and brother went out to Fortinos (lines moved well) and Food Basics (bit of queue) and there's no dry or fresh yeast to be found and flour is gone as well.

I managed to make 12 chocolate cupcakes (well, I intend to make an orange lemon frosting as I have lots of orange rind but no orange juice and I have lots of lemon juice cubes. To be MacGyvered as I don't think there's powdered icing sugar in the house. Had to almost double baking time as the recipe was for two dozen med. cupcakes and I make 12 large ones. Oops.

Frugal win-had some lotion in two separate pump bottles that pumps don't seem to reach. Could not wrench tops off. Used a paring knife to open bottles all around (4 inches from bottom) to scoop lotion in a metal Nivea tin. Now can use the lotion!

Just had a late lunch of a second ginger peach match tea and a bowl of instant oatmeal. Wondering if I should attempt to bake a flatbread as Mom is in the kitchen or wait until Saturday morning and go to town with a double batch of flatbread and so on. Not much in the baking supply cupboard but I can scare up some tea biscuits on Saturday and probably two kinds of cookies.

My cable item FINALLY arrived. See First World Problems in Rants for comments about shipping (so you don't get the same problem).
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Our kitchen garbage pail broke after 13 years. I already mended it once in that time about 5 years ago with duct tape. We used the plastic insert and a pot lid for 2 weeks. I had enough of that. Bought one at Canadian Tire online. Also bought bike helmets because kids are riding more and they don't have. Bought a couple of other things too. Hubby drove up and they loaded the car. It was a good experience.

I've had another stare at the computer all day workday. I am better managing the working at home than last week though.
    Last edited by Granger; Thu, Apr 16th, 2020 at 06:16 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We baked a pan of rocky road squares this afternoon. Ds wanted to use the original recipe and not substitutions. It used finely crushed pretzel sticks, I don’t like pretzels...would have preferred graham crackers crumbs in this case. Hopefully the rest of the family likes it more than I think I will. It’s an expensive recipe to make (sweetened condensed milk, milk chocolate, etc).

It’s cool and windy, but we’re outside. We made a race track/obstacle course in the front yard. They are each taking turns racing through it. They’re having fun!

Our solar panels are producing more power than we are using. Our power bill will only be $30. That amount includes the hookup fee and taxes.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 21 of 39 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information