User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree273Likes

Thread: 2022 financial resolutions

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Put in a category for Savings.

It can be as little as you want, but be certain that you have it as a category. Even $10-20/week can amount to a significant sum at the end of the year. Also, make saving a priority. Treat it as a vital necessity, like rent. Anyone who says that they cannot afford even a small amount must already be living underneath a bridge.
    harbie and cath007 like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    As that beeing said...I regret to not having simple finance skills...nobody in life appart my uncle talk to me about how to spend money in life.do a budget and etc...Only 1 time after my mother was dead he did me a 4 years budget with the total ineritance money I received. to back to school and working in 4 years but that did not happen so now I am on my own to do my budget with what is left remaining....
    huh...I dont know where to start....any idea tips are welcomed!!!
    Do you do it by week,by month...categories,subs categories? Thanks
    I have been budgeting for over 50 years and keeping track of ALL purchases We don’t and have never made a lot of money - but have managed to be mortgage free for close to 20 years. There are many apps - for both phones and computers - that are reasonably easy to use. Usually takes a bit of time to set it up - but once you have - just keep track - daily - of your expenditures and income then you can balance your checking account and credit card statements each month. I’ve used both Mint and Quicken. It really helps at income tax time - especially if you can claim car expenses or in home office costs. (BTW I started with a pen (pencil- easier to erase) and paper ledger - didn’t even have a calculator at that point)

My Mom used to use the ‘envelope’ system. Took out her budgeted amount each week - or every 2 weeks (depending on the pay schedule) and had an envelope for each category - doling out the cash as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by endi2000; Sun, Feb 20th, 2022 at 06:47 PM.
    Giseledta, harbie, cath007 and 3 others like this.
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

https://surveys.gobranded.com/users/...f49b113b291653

Starting a new Chapter in the Golden Horseshoe in 2017!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Worked on my taxes yesterday and figured out how much to put in my RRSP to offset the extra income. So happy to have that done!!!

Groceries- We are eating well. Using up stuff too.

No plans to touch my PC pts this month. Let them build slowly.
    Don’t forget to put more of your savings into the TFSA I always do it at the beginning of the year so I don’t have to pay tax on any (ha ha) interest I might earn through the year

Giseledta, harbie, cath007 and 2 others like this.
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Had to shop for work so planned it with a PC point offer. $15 PC pts for me.

Paid the 1st 1/4 property taxes today. (due Feb 20th) Glad to have that done and out of the way.
    I made myself a separate savings account - each month I put 1/12 of the tax amount in there - so when the quarterly comes around - I’ve got it in a separate account - don’t have to dip into the general coffers

Giseledta, harbie, cath007 and 1 others like this.
    My Orange Key 44990243S1

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I will be pulling my cash binders later this afternoon and organizing stuff and making a plan. But I realize I paid an extra $325 on one of my credit cards and now it has a credit of $325.00 and I have no idea where that card is at the moment (I put a hold on it) Once I find it I will have to make sure to use it for gas and then transfer the gas budget money where I want it. Damn. I don't plan on using it really in January. What a silly mistake.
    Could you not ask the credit card company to reimburse you?

My Orange Key 44990243S1

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I base my budget per pay, it is easiest for me that way. Each pay I know what money needs to go where. Each pay cycle I update my budget to see what was spent, did I overspend in any categories, did I under spend and have a balance to move forward.

Although I know some would frown upon overspending, in some categories it happens but it will all balance out in the end. For example this may happen with my grocery budget if we take a trip to Costco I may go over that cycle but it even out the next cycle. Or sometimes if we buy something for the house I will spend more than what is my budget but will even out as those are not purchases we make each pay cycle.

The categories in my budget are:
    Household - All our monthly expenses, Mortgage, Hydro, Internet/Cable
    Groceries - All household consumables, groceries, cleaning supplies, pharmacy (anything you buy at a standard grocery store, not a superstore)
    House Items - Non consumable products needed for the house, Kitchen Gadgets, Decor, Updates, Renos
    Take-Out - I was hesitant to add this category as I did not want to promote Take-out but it is nice for a treat and if needed I can move overages to groceries
    Special Occasions - Holidays, Birthdays, I set aside money so when they come around I have the $$$
    Savings - I have a set amount from each pay cycle I put into long term savings
    Emergency Fund - This is for those unexpectant expenses, a major appliance breaking, unexpected expense
    Misc - Anything that does not fall into another category but comes up
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i have a catagory for ... irregular bills... things that come up 1 x per year.. memberships ect.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by endi2000 View Post
    I made myself a separate savings account - each month I put 1/12 of the tax amount in there - so when the quarterly comes around - I’ve got it in a separate account - don’t have to dip into the general coffers

I do the same. Always have

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My PC pts are at

$470 Card #1
    $27 Card #2

Really watching for the May 24 long weekend summer sale that tends to happen. Hoping for good BBQ deals so I can redeem points and stock the freezer up.
    We are slowly going through our stuff so will have room.
    cath007 and Ciel21 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Budget Update.

Paid all bills.

PC PTS
    $494.00 Card #1
    $27 Card #2

Not seeing May 24 meat deals that I was hoping for DS is stocked up on burger and sausages. Will keep an eye for deals to keep him stocked up.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Paid all the bills.

Going to try for a no spend till next Monday. We have food. We have lots of projects to do around the house to keep us busy.

PC points

#1 28,190
    #2 495,600

Have annual insurance premiums to pay next month for House and car so that will bump up the points.
    coupon girl, cath007 and Ciel21 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Cleaning up the budget since it is payday next week but I am on vacation starting at 4pm today till next Wednesday

PC pts
    #1 507,000
    #2 29,090 (going to try and beef this one up a bit and then redeem for a week of fresh stuff to get us through the week)

Will pay house and car annual insurance premiums next week. Will use PC MC so the points will get a bit of a boost.

Groceries- See some good stocking up deals with points (cereal- my kids wants cereal- I have a stash started in my closet ) Other then that just fresh stuff on sale so don't think I will spend much on groceries the next week (also going away for a few nights but free meals )

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Intend to update my CRA account once laptop comes into my hands soon so I can get direct deposit for the three July credits. Not keen to wait for three separate cheques in the mail! Update completed on June 20!

Shopping list:
    New runners ($115 is not enough; $130 seems what I'll need as I found a style I could live with online)

New gas mower (cheaper than a battery operated mower with a battery and charger, alas) unless Bro decides to get one first (then I may give some cash to offset his purchase)* Pending(Mom says I'm not to buy one, but she has yet to go to buy the mower-I'm looking at $225 if there's no assembly charge for the display model that is ready to mow...)

One or two summer fun events locally (food truck or festival)

If funds allow, a consignment store piece of desired furniture if I can figure out delivery!

Hot weather treats
    Last edited by Ciel21; Mon, Jun 20th, 2022 at 04:45 PM.
    cath007 likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

My financial resolution is to watch what I buy and track my expenses.
    lilo0003, HermanH and Ciel21 like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For those home owners who have the June third tax instalment payment due by June 30 in their municipality-you should plan to do the payment (if this item is not an automated one for your residence) earlier in the week in case on the last day, the office staff close the office by 1pm due to the Friday holiday. Canada Post also stops mail services by lunchtime the day before Canada Day.

I have to see how I can get Mom to hustle tomorrow on this very thing. She balked when I told her to make payment earlier this month when the senior's property tax grant came in.

In advance of the receipt of tax credits, I am using some of my personal July expense cash (received yesterday) to get online items (have 3 more debits left for June) this week.
    lilo0003 and HermanH like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information