User Tag List

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
Like Tree2565Likes

Thread: December 2022 Frugal Chat (when Autumn turns into Winter)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Giseledta View Post
    good morning.
    and Merry christmas to all

ok. it is boxing day. boxing day shopping has never been my thing. i did go one year with ex mil to white rose.... hows that for dating myself. just not my thing.

With the 25th past , i am thinking of my goals and plans for the next 3 months. i like to think 3 months at a time.

i am finding crocheting really helping with my mental health. so i would like to continue that. i need to expand my friend base for bugging people about crochet stuff though. lol. my hubby gave me a 25.00 gc to indigo, so i am picking up a book on stiches. hopefully that will help.
    i do have several items i want to make. some for the dc.. some to figure out if i could sell them .

i am also working on ..... boundries. .... easier said then done
    i am blissfully off this week. plan is to get the house in order and possibly list something for sale.

i will unfortunaly , need to go to costco tomorrow. my mom wants something, she mentioned going on boxing day ( today) and i said no. i cannot imagine how crazy that place will be today. just thinking about it sets offmy anxsitiy. not happening.

roast is in the crockpot. and laundry is going.
    hugs to all.
    @Giseledta is it easy making a roast in the crockpot? I have one still in the box that I have never used and would be interested in a recipe. I wanted to make a turkey for the holidays but the prices were so high! Ended up having Chinese for Christmas eve and Boxing Day.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I did my last Salvation Army kettle shift on Christmas eve, and was so embarrassed when I spilt coffee all the the chair and the bag at the beginning of my shift. Luckily I was at Walmart and they had a huge roll of paper towels close by. When they picked up the kettle, the fund raiser lady was so nice and said not to worry. I checked her lottery tickets on my phone olg app. as Walmart does not sell lottery tickets.

Christmas was nice and quiet. After years of family drama from significant other's family, it was nice to have peace and quiet.

Ordered some things yesterday online, looking forward to the deliveries this week. I cancelled my Amazon prime as I enjoy going into the stores now, and I like to help the local economy.

I bought this cute little cat toy, that ran on batteries and somehow it got stuck in-between the wall and the cupboard. It kept on making noise, and vibrating against the wall, I thought I was going to pull my hair out in frustration as I couldn't get to it. Thankfully the battery eventually died. I had debated cutting a hole in the cupboard to get it to stop making so much noise! Note to self - do not buy this again. The previous homeowners never finished the kitchen completely and there are tiny gaps between the cupboard and walls.

I hope everyone had a safe, happy Christmas. The storm was terrible, and I have never seen the barometric pressure so low in all of my life. The gauge that I have had for a long time was below 95 and several people told me they had horrible joint pain and migraines. Once the storms pressure stabilized, they were feeling better.

Off I go to walk the dog and than watch the rest of Handmaids Tale before Amazon Prime is cancelled.
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Good earlier evening everyone!!!
    My dad auntie offered me to go to Costco today but I faced the reallity as I just have already too much stuff and food to be used and no freaking space in both fridge and freezer so refuted and pass my turn,oh well maybe another time in the new year,she goes really regularly
    Dad is at her home to have dinner.Me I just dont feel really well so I pass it..I cooked all the appetizers to be ready and had some.
    Christmas is always a struggling time for me because of the sadness of not celebrating the season with brother and mother.Even if I have good food to eat...

So the fondue will not happen with the lack of space in the freezer...
    I checked the news flyers only a few things and we will be good.
    Have a beautifull evening and night

QODT: Do you still make new year resolutions? Goals? What they are?
    Last edited by cath007; Tue, Dec 27th, 2022 at 05:48 PM.
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 2 others like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@barbis9 Do you have any friends/neighbours who bought a coat extender during their pregnancies? No need to lose your warm winter coat. I saw this one while browsing online:

Make My Belly Fit Universal Jacket Extender | Snuggle Bugz | Canada’s Baby Store (The store's Boxing Day sale ends tonight.)

Just as a temporary fit remedy for the meantime! I've seen it priced at $134.99...not sure if it's possible to find it at thrift stores, so that's why I asked about people who may have purchased one that you may know.

I managed to walk to Fortinos with my shopping cart and cane but let me tell you, I had a harder time lugging full cart plus smaller items crammed into my stroller bag--barely managed to breathe with everything. So grateful I had a couple of small beverages with me-one in bag was needed after halfway point home. Then when I smelt the industrial park's roasting wave of coffee (plant that roasts coffee for Tim Horton's-coffee beans smell like scorch to me) on the bridge, I nearly lost it with coughing.
    Giseledta, harbie, barbis9 and 1 others like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Fortinos has marked down the Kelloggs Ltd Ed Gingerbread Pop Tarts to $3.74 and moved the merchandise to the Seasonal Power wall with the other Xmas treats/crackers priced to move! SCORE! I noticed while in the back of store horizontal aisle, the endcap had changed while I was still 3 aisles away. Decided to head to front of store and I spotted my PRECIOUS quest.

There were lots of reduced veggies and fruits (huge variety instead of 3-5 only) so I got wild-$1.99 for grape tomatoes, $2.49 for 4 pomegranates (I expect up to 1 lost fruit as these pomes are likely to have started to turn), $2.99 for 5 Bosc pears, $1.99 for sweet cherries (so what if plastic had a hole and cherries were tumbling-I wanted cherries), $1.49 for green bunch of organic bananas, $1.99 for black/red plums. Paid full retail for English cuke $2.99 and 1 lemon (US this time hurrah) to have something different from carrots and radishes for a change.

Added a Country Harvest Ancient Grains with Red Fife (odd but front of shelf had another variety while the Red Fife was behind it) to my cart (did a chance search online to see if bakery had anything with the grain). Giving Red Fife a try but if it does not suit, I will go to Longos for the round Red Fife loaves at $4.49 each to try the heritage grain. The Country Harvest loaf has a very long ingredient list so...I will give one try and see what happens.

Spent time looking at clearance racks in First Aid-mm, not much to report; by shipping doors #1-spotted reduced price Life Brand long contour liners ($3.99 reg-50% off)-got 3 to donate. 2nd shipping doors racks-found 50% off Mio blueberry-lemonade water enhancer (1 at $4-50% off), then healthcare/food/household clearance-2 Baby gourmet flavoured oatmeals at $5.49 -50% off but cashier gave me better price at $2.25 each. Donated all the items.

FOund a 50% off Peach Snapple ($3-50% off) as well for me (lifesaver bevvie for walk home).

Ener-C supplements were on bottom shelf-I reached for regular Raspberry flavour and completely forgot to look for sugar free varieties. Glad to have used the $5 off coupon-product is now $15.99 before coupon. SURPRISE find at Fortinos-Boost Simply+ is now stocked in 4pks at Fortinos for $14.99. Yikes. Pity the last two coupons for $2 off expired on Dec 15 and I ended up binning them (no wonder product isn't at Walmart locally anymore). Can't wait to see what Shoppers might charge for same product...

Someone had ditched a lingerie laundry bag on a clearance rack-went to laundry aisle pegged merch to get price of $4.59. It's a one zipper one compartment bag, so not sectioned off like the 4-pocket Woolite bag I got at WInners some years ago. Score find-can add bag to a baby gift bag for future parent to save time reaching into a washer for socks or something small at the very back of machine.

While Shoppers has the better price on Fry's cocoa ($4.99 vs Fortinos $5.29 for 227g can), I had no energy left to walk over and check. Forgot that banks are closed today but ATM check showed the expected refund did finally reach my account but that other transaction has not happened. At least one bank customer was swearing at seeing the bank closed sign/lights off in main bank area. ATMs were popular today.

When I used the website for a flyer check of which store has the better Oasis bevvie price, Freshco came up at $3.49 plus a Scene+ pts offer if you buy 2 . SO if you still have Oasis Health Check coupons for $0.75 off (that expire this WEEK) that is your best spot. SHoppers listed same bevvie for $3.79 this week but I seldom see product in store during the week (or just one or two varieties if there is a carton left) as your second option.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@cath007 The only two resolutions: I am considering is committing to a new planner for 2023 and tentatively planning to do that embroidery machine class in mid-January (in case I don't buy a cake for my birthday or do something else like buy a huge chai latte at Starbucks). The one planner I bought at Shoppers (the $5 clearance deal that rang in for $8 and I did not catch error at the checkout counter) that I had to write the months and dates in-last day was Dec. 25. And I like planners, so I will look for deals or just see if Staples has my favorite one for under $7 (I hope). With my health being a concern and winter weather basically making me subject to limits on outings except for fairly mild/low snow days, I have to take what I can get safely and not get overly upset about what is beyond me now (still a few tears shed now and then, then I move along by the next distraction, like spending hours looking at deals on baby gear, or Pop Tarts, or Boxing Week clothing deals).

While Paramount+ Canada now has the new Top Gun movie streaming, I haven't really moved to watch it. Brother is off this week and he's been taking most of the TV time during the days. Mom is lucky if she gets 2h of TV time each day. I'm keen to watch some more of Tulsa but again, not a priority this week.
    Giseledta, harbie, barbis9 and 3 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@cath007 , I do not believe in new year's resolutions. I feel like if I need a new year to make a change I am probably not fully committed.

With that being said I did notice I have not been taking care of myself again. Living off tea, skipping meals, working longer hours, and not making good dinners, so my goal for Shut Down is to get myself back on track and take better care of myself.
    Giseledta, harbie, barbis9 and 4 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

No “resolutions” per day but I intend to continue with my physical health and mental health but keeping my ability to make and set boundaries.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    @cath007, I do not believe in new year's resolutions. I feel like if I need a new year to make a change I am probably not fully committed.

With that being said I did notice I have not been taking care of myself again. Living off tea, skipping meals, working longer hours, and not making good dinners, so my goal for Shut Down is to get myself back on track and take better care of myself.
    @SassyAshley How did your Mom react to the new computer gift? Did it come with any preloaded free Microsoft trial programs?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

RW& Co has a couple of enticing conversational print socks (vinyl records on navy ground, and boomboxes on charcoal grey/black background) for men-a surprise find; I liked some of the ties there as well. I'm too late to find the socks at a local store-I'd have to go to a Halton area store or order online. Bro is not worth the effort. There is a women's dress print that is stunning (no idea if such a fabric can be found on Ottawa Street) but the style is too fussy to bother altering. I was looking at the Boxing Day deals on the site...at least 30minutes!

Popped over to the Costco East fan site and while I'd love that Richelieu pull-out basket system for a cupboard if it was in epoxy white rather than metal, no way would I want a Richelieu product. The kitchen cupboards at home have Richelieu hinges (at least 3 styles) and at least 4 hinges (2 of the styles) have broken since mid-2010s (cabinetry was installed June 2000). Bro and I have not had success matching the hinges to the ones on website (over 600 of them). Maybe I need to try again with some diet cola at hand to get through the search this week. And it won't surprise me if I were to find the hinge matches that they might not be available or on back order after all these years (because all the hardware stores don't have our hinges in stock). I also noticed the 3 pk of VIM cleanser with bleach (no idea what pureboost is) for $7.97--Bro would not likely go to Costco for just that for me.

The portable sewing machine came out for Mom to work on a skirt. I had to wind a bobbin for her and the process stalled when bobbin was half full. Tried unwinding a bit of thread and tried to restart winding 3-4 times. Guess something is rusting or needs oil? Haven't oiled the machine in months (maybe in summer I put a drop into the bobbin area). So another "to-do" to work on tomorrow. Had to put machine away after my return from grocery shopping, as Mom had vegetables roasting and kitchen/dining area were steamy.

Had one packet of Pop Tarts. Gingerbread flavour starts off light and then is almost but not quite full strength as the flavour from eating the gingerbread from a house kit! So good I'm sure a cup of tea will make the treat even better (say at breakfast with some protein).

Time to wind down the screen time and start the relaxing part of going to bed and even read a little. Have a warm evening, everyone!
    Giseledta, harbie, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

roasts are so easy to do .
    take roast, brown all sides.
    cut 1 onion or leek place in bottom of crock pot. add roast. i usually add some garlic, a bay leaf , some oregano, a few peppercorns. bit of beef boulion. put lid on . low 8 h or high 4 h. usually it will be done.
    about half way i toss in some carrots and potatoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    @Giseledta is it easy making a roast in the crockpot? I have one still in the box that I have never used and would be interested in a recipe. I wanted to make a turkey for the holidays but the prices were so high! Ended up having Chinese for Christmas eve and Boxing Day.
    Skippy, harbie, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

good evening.
    made a huge pot of chili . all packaged up and put into the freezer. future me will be happy. think i may make a pot of bean soup tomorrow. just sounds good.

hugs to all
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@Ciel21 , Mom loved her new laptop although, I had planned to open the Laptop and set it up for her before Christmas so she would not have to, that did not happen because I ran out of time. So we had a few small bumps in the road setting it up. but it is up and running and she is super happy.

I think it took almost 2 hours to run all of the updates on the laptop for Windows. We had to take the laptop out of S-mode but most of the stuff from her old laptop moved to the new laptop easily which was great.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Morning,
    Up early and it is so nice but it did still take me an hour to get out of bed, baby steps.

I do not know if my body is like, it is shut down and we are going to relax or if something else is going on but I just feel off. Honestly, it is slightly annoying me.

I am up and need to tackle some things. I wrote out my list for New Year's Eve and then I planned a prep list. I have come to the conclusion I am not a fan of holidays because I find them stressful. Everything gets left to the last minute and then the day of it is just insanity and I get stressed which set off my anxiety. So although I have a lot to do for New Year's Eve since I am making most of the appetizers now, I have broken it down day by day.

Today, I will do all of the prep, chop and slice everything and have it ready to go. Then each day, I will make 2 recipes a day so on Saturday I just have one recipe to make, the pickles because I cannot make those ahead of time and cook everything off.

I think tonight's dinner will be Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Carrots & Potatoes, it will be a one-pan meal which is nice.

I am on a mission to get out dinners back on track well I am on Shutdown.

Happy Wednesday
    Skippy, Giseledta, harbie and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

New Year's Eve prep is done for today, I had it done in under an hour.

I chopped Green Onions and Dice an Orange Pepper. Cooked Bacon Bits, Sliced Mozzarella and Grated Cheddar.

Dishwasher has been emptied, hand dishes are done.

I cut the carrots for dinner so will just need to cut potatoes at Dinner time. I know some people prep their potatoes but that seems like a lot of work and dishes to put them in the fridge soaking in water.

Think I just need to so some general tidying up now. Just feels like there are a lot of things not in their home so I think I will just walk around and put things awya.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread Information