User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree1339Likes

Thread: July 2023 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Another scorcher! 34 and of course humid. Work was extra challenging today but it’s done.

Making potato salad and bbq soy curls with garden salad for dinner. When it cools down we will head out for a walk instead of a ride.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! Looks like a beautiful start to the day. Hope we get rain but we will see.

Today- Get work done. Do some more laundry. Put away the dry stuff hung up yesterday. Clean off top of tall dresser. (it has been collecting stuff- I have a box I am putting everything in and then dealing with all the stuff) Give the fridge a once over so I know what to use up today. Will pop out for some groceries since the sales started today and I don't like going on the weekend. Clean my work space.

My basil pots look great! So green and fresh looking. Need a rainy day so we can make a homemade pasta sauce for dinner Can't wait till my cherry tomatoes start producing.

Enjoying my coffee now and thinking I will make eggs and rye toast for breakfast.

Have a great day!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

My truck is fixed $1,500! This is going to be a rather expensive month - first dental and now the truck. Our property taxes are increasing 7% thanks to Doug Ford and his developers deals. Now I get why everyone is moving to Nova Scotia as several of my friends have sold there homes and got significantly more house for less money.

Expected more from the grocery rebate, and received confusing paperwork from the government. The GST is based on 2022 but the rebate on 2021 income tax? I would call Revenue Canada but you never get a good answer for the frustration of waiting on the phone.

Another hot day and I have to wear a Holter monitor for the next three days.

Stay cool and well hydrated.

Belated happy birthday to @harbie

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I hear ya @barbis9 . We think about moving out of the lower mainland for the same reasons. Cost of living here is insane ( and I’m not downtown Vancouver) but holding us back is my parents are here and while they would be ok to move it’s a bit more complicated. We are fortunate enough to have a family doctor especially when our unexpectedly retired. Jobs aren’t too much of an issue but still a factor. I really hate this adulting thing .

Hope things turn around for you quickly

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thunder and Rain happening here now. Finally a nice breeze outside!
    House is so dark now!
    harbie, barbis9, walkonby and 3 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

not exactly the frugalist of days yesterday for me BUT I am living with my decision. Our vehicle radio/CD stopped functioning. We have NO idea what happened.
    I went to our Dealership, the choice was pay $199.00 to have them do a diagnostic and if they can repair/replace the $199.00 comes off that cost. Fair enough.
    Until I go in to hear what they found.
    Yeah, it needs to be replaced, it is toast. They no longer make this one for our 2015 vehicle BUT they can send it to the manufacturer to repair or refurbish it somehow. That cost minus the diagnostic fee would be $800.00 plus taxes.

BUT....the Dealership MUST remove it and send the actual item to them. Here comes the confusion.....in removing the unit, IF a very specific piece (a wire/cable, who the freak knows what part ?) , but IF that special part of it turns out to be damaged, all bets are off and they will not accept the unit from the Dealership.
    o.k. so what right??
    Oh No, the Dealership told me IF THAT happens I would have to pay THEM $1,000.00 ! Yes, ONE thousand dollars?? WTF? I'm out over $200.00 now for paying for that useless diagnostic! Why did they not tell me UP FRONT about this stupid loophole where a certain part being damaged would negate a fix by the Manufacturer?
    I literally pulled my hair out over this yesterday........but...... I'm fine now.
    Last edited by walkonby; Thu, Jul 6th, 2023 at 03:33 PM.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    I hear ya @barbis9 . We think about moving out of the lower mainland for the same reasons. Cost of living here is insane ( and I’m not downtown Vancouver) but holding us back is my parents are here and while they would be ok to move it’s a bit more complicated. We are fortunate enough to have a family doctor especially when our unexpectedly retired. Jobs aren’t too much of an issue but still a factor. I really hate this adulting thing .

Hope things turn around for you quickly

I hear you! Having a family doctor where I live is gold these days. I would like to move out of Quebec (only because of the politics, though. I like living here otherwise,) but I don't want to lose my GP. It sounds like it's impossible to get a new GP now, anywhere.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

@walkonby . I’d be FURIOUS that they were not up from to begin with. Sad part is all this “diagnostic” work I feel is BS. In a previous car the stupidest check engine light was constantly on and despite being hooked up to the diagnostic system they were never able to find out the problem. That cost me a couple of hundred bucks and the end result was the recommendation of putting a piece of black elastic tape over it!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by harbie View Post
    In a previous car the stupidest check engine light was constantly on and despite being hooked up to the diagnostic system they were never able to find out the problem. That cost me a couple of hundred bucks and the end result was the recommendation of putting a piece of black elastic tape over it!
    I have had the same experience. My very old car has the Check Engine light come on every so often. I've taken it in a couple of times and they can't find anything to explain the warning light. So, after a couple hundred dollars, I am still in the dark. I suspect it might be a slightly faulty sensor. Regardless, I am reluctant to take it out on the highway or long distances.
    harbie, barbis9, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

When my vehicle was brand new the tire sensor light came on. So I took it to the dealership since it was under warranty. The young girl told me she would show me how to turn off the warning. I asked her if they could look at it because there was a reason the light was on. Yes, I had a nail in my tire! They replaced the tire no questions asked. Glad I pushed for it to be looked at!
    harbie, walkonby, lilo0003 and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I had an eyebrow wax appt this afternoon after work so since I was out I decided to stop at a few stores.
    Picked up the sale items I wanted and found a few deals (.68 blackberries, $1.36 3pk romaine)
    and found water shoes for $10! (we need them for our camping trip at The Grotto in August) These will be a game changer!!

Put away the groceries but nobody is really hungry and I don't really feel like cooking now. Maybe I will make an Annie's mac and shells later if I am hungry.
    I put chicken in the fridge that I picked up today that we can either make tonight or tomorrow night. I also grabbed a few cobs of corn to go with it on the bbq (rub with coconut oil and grill....so good!!)

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

@barbis9 we are one of those families. We have already met with a Nova Scotia agent and begun the search. We will keep the house in Ontario for a few years as the younger son is at Mohawk and my father In law leaves close by. I expect that with the next 3 yrs I will live full time in NS.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 5 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I’m researching to buy a food processor. Yes, I’m a married adult and I’ve never owned a food processor. I’m curious to try the various viral recipes floating around…cottage cheese (cookie dough, Icecream, etc), chickpeas for the base in recipes, I borrowed a friend’s little food processor years ago to make black bean brownies and my kids really enjoyed that recipe, and some recipes call for soaked dates (which are on sale on Amazon). You can use a food processor to make oat flour. I’ve also seen some meatball recipes that use a food processor. Anyway, I wanted to give an explanation of some of the types of recipes I’m looking to try. What food processor do you recommend?

Thank you for your help.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@Angela273 , I have found food processors like many kitchen gadgets are something people either love or never use. Personally, we always have always had one growing up. My Mom was always using her Food Processor.

We currently have 2, I have the 3-cup mini food processor which I believe is a Kitchen Aid and the big 13-cup Cusine Art food processor.

I will be honest depending on how much you are processing as nice as the 13-cup Food Processor can be I personally find it too big most of the time. For most recipes, you do not need a food processor this big and it is big and bulky and a pain to wash if I am being honest.

I find we use our 3-cup one more often but this would not be big enough for your needs.

We have always had Cusine Art of Kitchen Aid Food processors so I cannot speak to other brands. I would suggest since you want to make dough, I would look at the motor capabilities. A low-end processor may struggle which could lead to the Food Processor dying before its time.

I am not saying you need a Cuisine Art or Kitchen Aid but our original Cuisine Art was over 10 years old when it died and our current one we have had for over 10 years and is still going Strong. My original Kitchen Aid also was also about 10 years old when it went, my current one I have had for I think 3 years with no issues.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I don’t have an Amazon Prime account, but I know that prime days are this weekend. Do you think I’d get a significantly better deal on a good quality food processor this weekend?
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information