User Tag List

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1339Likes

Thread: July 2023 Frugal Chatter Thread

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I’m researching to buy a food processor. Yes, I’m a married adult and I’ve never owned a food processor. I’m curious to try the various viral recipes floating around…cottage cheese (cookie dough, Icecream, etc), chickpeas for the base in recipes, I borrowed a friend’s little food processor years ago to make black bean brownies and my kids really enjoyed that recipe, and some recipes call for soaked dates (which are on sale on Amazon). You can use a food processor to make oat flour. I’ve also seen some meatball recipes that use a food processor. Anyway, I wanted to give an explanation of some of the types of recipes I’m looking to try. What food processor do you recommend?

Thank you for your help.
    Consider what, how much and how often you're likely to process. In general, larger and heavier amounts need a more heavy-duty machine with a stronger motor. That said, you can use a lighter machine if you're willing to do more and smaller batches. Without knowing any more than you've said, I'd suggest getting a cheap one to start. Doing so will help you to assess if it's worth it for you to get a better one, and how much better.
    harbie, JadeAngel, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@Angela273 , I am not sure if it is true as I have not tried. But you should be able to see the deals as they are posted and I heard if you sign up for the free-trail you can take part in Amazon Prime Days, but as I said have not tried it myself.

Personally I would look and see what is posted, it is s hit and miss with Amazon what goes on sale and decide based on what is posted.
    harbie, Angela273, barbis9 and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

@Angela273 I had a food processor (don't remember the brand) and i hated that thing - i found it was hard to snap on then twist to lock; it finally broke after only a few years. I got a ninja set last year from black friday sale; I don't remember the model but it came with a pitcher, a food processing bowl, 2 smoothie cups, and blades etc. I mainly use the smoothie cup if i make a smoothie that has ice cubes. For smoothie that does not have ice cubes I use my bullet - quick and convenience because the base is small (of course less power to crush ice). I have not used the pitcher or the processing bowl because I have a small food processor that I like more plus I haven't had to process anything in large quantity yet. So far, I like my ninja - easy to use and powerful. I hope that helps you. I know I had a hard time deciding between a ninja or a kitchenaid; i have a kitchenaid stand mixer so i thought of getting the food processor to match but the deal on the ninja set won me over.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have looked on and off for small food processors. I'd like a 7-cup one-ThinkKitchens (Stokes) has their own brand one for about $200 (it might be on sale but to get colours, you may have to order online if local mall store does not have any colour but black) and Canadian Tire carries three brands, one of which might have a 7-cup model but for colour options, you might need to order online (I rarely see models that are anything but stainless steel or black in-store). I have not moved on a processor but if I was to cook a lot of Jamie Oliver's 15min meals or other dishes, a food processor would be a key tool.

I personally want a bright or pastel coloured unit. Our kitchen has a north window and a stainless steel or black appliance would drive me into depression on gray days or during winter. Everyone has a preference on size or colour of appliances, so do look around and check out models in your area if you can to get a feel of product and how much countertop space/wattage the appliance needs.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Since I have to wait for Monday's tax credit to get the haircut (finally) and groceries and other errands done, I'm compiling a list of specials from flyers. Looks like No Frills has some frozen entree deals too good to miss and the closest store is also near a Rexall, so there's a double-reason to check both stores next week.

I'm pondering an Oakville visit to RCSS too or a trip to Mississauga to do Square One or Sherway Gardens (short bus ride from Dixie Outlet Mall). Just have to be good with a list and budget then add in bus fares. I do need summer shoes or a new pair of walking shoes this month...I have to keep looking for products and deals.

Hudson Bay is definitely getting a mall visit locally or an online order so I don't miss the current summer sale that ends next Thursday.

As my local Fortinos does not always have good frozen berry deals, I will see if I can get local raspberries when they are the market.

Just grateful today is cooler, breezier and sunny! Makes walking possible without a major sweat session. I did cheat and get a pop on my walk in today-had just enough change to make the purchase.

Community paper had most of the grocery flyers but not the Giant Tiger one.

Rexall flyer-2 for $20 pricing on Ensure and Glucerna 6pks or $12.49 each, in case someone is looking for a deal on the products.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    @Angela273, I am not sure if it is true as I have not tried. But you should be able to see the deals as they are posted and I heard if you sign up for the free-trail you can take part in Amazon Prime Days, but as I said have not tried it myself.

Personally I would look and see what is posted, it is s hit and miss with Amazon what goes on sale and decide based on what is posted.
    The US channel on Youtube The Deal Guy mentions that the US Amazon has a signup option for Prime Members to get notifications for invitations on Prime Day deals-not all requests will get fulfilled but it's a new thing this year to spread the deals among members as deals usually sell out in seconds.

Another tip if possible to try on Cdn Amazon that US members can do-add items to their Add to Save for Later lists so you are ready in case any item goes on sale during Prime Days.

I have not paid for a month of AMazon (round 2 for 2023) yet-am considering it but I am actively contesting for Amazon gift cards on various sites to make the likelihood of a Prime Day shop possible.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

We have a Vitamix and use that daily. The only thing a food processor can do that it can’t is slice things although there is an attachment that turns it into a processor. We make the obvious smoothies, but also chop veggies if large batches are needed, grind coffee beans, made flours, “ice cream”, icing sugar……

I did get a mini kitchen aid chopper for individual size portions. I got mine through Airmiles so it was free. Here it is on Amazon (probably cheaper elsewhere)
    Name:  IMG_0854.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  253.7 KB

We love our Vitamix and not only because of what it does but also the clean up is beyond easy.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    not exactly the frugalist of days yesterday for me BUT I am living with my decision. Our vehicle radio/CD stopped functioning. We have NO idea what happened.
    I went to our Dealership, the choice was pay $199.00 to have them do a diagnostic and if they can repair/replace the $199.00 comes off that cost. Fair enough.
    Until I go in to hear what they found.
    Yeah, it needs to be replaced, it is toast. They no longer make this one for our 2015 vehicle BUT they can send it to the manufacturer to repair or refurbish it somehow. That cost minus the diagnostic fee would be $800.00 plus taxes.

BUT....the Dealership MUST remove it and send the actual item to them. Here comes the confusion.....in removing the unit, IF a very specific piece (a wire/cable, who the freak knows what part ?) , but IF that special part of it turns out to be damaged, all bets are off and they will not accept the unit from the Dealership.
    o.k. so what right??
    Oh No, the Dealership told me IF THAT happens I would have to pay THEM $1,000.00 ! Yes, ONE thousand dollars?? WTF? I'm out over $200.00 now for paying for that useless diagnostic! Why did they not tell me UP FRONT about this stupid loophole where a certain part being damaged would negate a fix by the Manufacturer?
    I literally pulled my hair out over this yesterday........but...... I'm fine now.
    @walkonby I don't blame you for being pissed off. That is terrible. Is there anyway you can contact the manager or head office to complain. I would never go back. Just like your nickname - I would walk on by and never return. Curious what make is it?

I had a issue with my truck's navigation and Ford wanted $200 to diagnose and $225 for an updated chip. I popped the little chip thing (don't remember exactly what its called) and voila it started working properly. To me that is highway robbery to charge a diagnosing fee, especially if you know what is wrong already.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@lilo0003 Hey, ECS Coffee has a few left of this Breville Oven with air fryer (costs a mint but...) https://ecscoffee.com/collections/to...tainless-steel

For anyone wanting a deal on a Miele Blizzard Vacuum Cleaner: Goeman's has some open box models on Sale! https://www.goemans.com/home/open-bo...ce/41KCE036CDN
    Last edited by Ciel21; Fri, Jul 7th, 2023 at 12:23 PM.
    harbie, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Another hot day. Trying to keep the a/c off to save $$. Cut the front lawn this morning with my electric lawnmower with the name Titan.

Steering on truck works great now. It was the steering shaft that needed to be replaced, which normally is a part that most people don't need to replace.

Food Basics has cherries on for $1.99 a pound and they are so delicious!

Have a great Friday everyone!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    not exactly the frugalist of days yesterday for me BUT I am living with my decision. Our vehicle radio/CD stopped functioning. We have NO idea what happened.
    I went to our Dealership, the choice was pay $199.00 to have them do a diagnostic and if they can repair/replace the $199.00 comes off that cost. Fair enough.
    Until I go in to hear what they found.
    Yeah, it needs to be replaced, it is toast. They no longer make this one for our 2015 vehicle BUT they can send it to the manufacturer to repair or refurbish it somehow. That cost minus the diagnostic fee would be $800.00 plus taxes.

BUT....the Dealership MUST remove it and send the actual item to them. Here comes the confusion.....in removing the unit, IF a very specific piece (a wire/cable, who the freak knows what part ?) , but IF that special part of it turns out to be damaged, all bets are off and they will not accept the unit from the Dealership.
    o.k. so what right??
    Oh No, the Dealership told me IF THAT happens I would have to pay THEM $1,000.00 ! Yes, ONE thousand dollars?? WTF? I'm out over $200.00 now for paying for that useless diagnostic! Why did they not tell me UP FRONT about this stupid loophole where a certain part being damaged would negate a fix by the Manufacturer?
    I literally pulled my hair out over this yesterday........but...... I'm fine now.
    Is there anyway you can get an after market one for your vehicle? Might be cheaper than the dealer.
    SassyAshley and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@barbis9 If @walkonby is handy with an code reader and tools at a wrecker yard, she might score a radio that way.
    barbis9, walkonby and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I usually miss spotting Well.ca's Birthday Sale but it's on now! Sale ends on Sun.July 9. Note to parents-there are many baby product lines on sale plus some summer toys and gear.
    barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Trying to get lots done today while it’s a bit cooler here.

So I completely emptied the fridge of all contents and shelves and drawers to give it a wipe down. It never gets really dirty because we clean stuff up right away but it needed a clean in the crispers and reorganizing. So that’s done.

I moved on to the bathroom. Scrubbed the shower and polished fixtures, also did a super deep clean on everything else. I told Dh that NO ONE sis to use the bathroom so if he has to go he better do it before leaving work or go to Starbucks . I can’t be the only one that feels that way after cleaning.

The bed was stripped and washed and now it beeped so off to the dryer. I’m going to try and get some vacuuming done and then I’ll call it a day.

Not bad for zero coffee today

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ooh, Lords Shoes has some amazing and colourful clothing. I can afford a pair of socks and maybe one accessory.

Torrid.com has two online sales: B1G1 free on regular price items and extra 50% off clearance. Both events are two days only. If you have US$ burning a hole in your wallet or a credit card with no foreign exchange fee, this is your chance to stock up on items not found in your mall store.
    harbie, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information