User Tag List

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
Like Tree1262Likes

Thread: September 2023 Frugal chatter Thread

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Thanks Just having my breakfast now (oatmeal with almond milk, frozen raspberries and walnuts)
    It is so good!!
    harbie and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    Wednesday was customer appreciation day at Caesar's Pizza. Med pepperoni were being sold for $5 each, so I bought four for the hospital staff. On my way out, I decided to get another for myself on the way home. I saw a cop sitting in the parking lot and tried to extend the appreciation a little further by purchasing one for him.

I walked over and told him that I had bought dinner for him and that he could go to the outlet and just pick it up. That way, he would not have to worry about anyone messing with his food. He was gracious, but declined; worrying about possibly being caught on video munching pizza. I couldn't convince him. After all, he had to eat and should not be concerned about a few idiots. The public still knows that they are the good guys. We shook hands and parted.

What a shame that a police officer is afraid to accept kindness from the public. I gotta wonder if he is reluctant to pursuit some courses of action and if his morale is so low, how much longer will he remain on the force.

I tried to pass out the extra pizza to everyone I saw and met. Man, it was like trying to give away plutonium. What a crazy situation. Free food and I cannot even give it away.
    @HermanH I would have taken one I guess too many weird stories out there. I once tried to give away water bottles on a hot day and got turned down. Sad times that we now live in.
    harbie, HermanH and Ciel21 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    lol! @coupon girl and @SassyAshley I've caught myself hrmph-ing out loud while reading a supposed " sale " price for butter in a flyer and knowing I will hold out for an actual sale.
    Having homemade Buttermilk waffles, turkey bacon and a rich creamy coffee for dinner was hilarious. DH had another round after dinner, made himself dessert waffles with ice cream in between.
    @walkonby that sounds delicious for dinner. I find waffles make me sleepy, so I don't eat them in the morning.....but for evening, that sounds good.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

My house insurance came in the mail and I almost passed out $1,500 for a small bungalow. Crazy. Time to shop around. I am almost afraid for my truck insurance renewal, I read in the newspaper that some people are being charged a $500 surcharge due to high thefts, and one example was a Honda CRV which I would hardly call a high end vehicle. Apparently no explanation as to way these people are hit with this, even if their vehicle doesn't make the top 10 list.

Otherwise had a productive meeting at the bank. I was surprised that the financial advisor admitted fees. I recently read an interesting book called "Beat the bank" written by a Canadian retired banking person. Said the three killers are fees, taxes and inflation. The only thing that we can reduce is fees, so I keep asking what the fees are. Mutual funds are apparently the worse according to this author.

Given the high cost of everything, I don't know how anyone can save or invest for the future. I dread the winter heating bills even though I stay at 68 F during the day and go to 64 F at night.

Perhaps we should start a link on how to save on insurance, utilities, internet, etc. We all have good food deals. What does everyone think?

Sorry if this post is too heavy thinking. Have an awesome Monday.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    My house insurance came in the mail and I almost passed out $1,500 for a small bungalow. Crazy. Time to shop around. I am almost afraid for my truck insurance renewal, I read in the newspaper that some people are being charged a $500 surcharge due to high thefts, and one example was a Honda CRV which I would hardly call a high end vehicle. Apparently no explanation as to way these people are hit with this, even if their vehicle doesn't make the top 10 list.

Otherwise had a productive meeting at the bank. I was surprised that the financial advisor admitted fees. I recently read an interesting book called "Beat the bank" written by a Canadian retired banking person. Said the three killers are fees, taxes and inflation. The only thing that we can reduce is fees, so I keep asking what the fees are. Mutual funds are apparently the worse according to this author.

Given the high cost of everything, I don't know how anyone can save or invest for the future. I dread the winter heating bills even though I stay at 68 F during the day and go to 64 F at night.

Perhaps we should start a link on how to save on insurance, utilities, internet, etc. We all have good food deals. What does everyone think?

oh no! Can I ask what your annual premium was before?
    harbie and Ciel21 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

barbis -we pay $637 for our house insurance a year (2 and a half storey cape cod house 3 bedrooms 3 bathrooms) no finished rec room in southern ontario.I called my broker a few years ago as mine went up to $900 ,she found a cheaper version mind you this year it went up $25.00.
    harbie, barbis9, lilo0003 and 2 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@barbis9 that does seem like a high home insurance cost for a bungalow. Did you make any Insurance claims? That will bump the damn premiums up faster than anything.
    So strange when both our vehicle and home policies renewed, the home premium went up slightly but the vehicle one decreased! When I sorted out the difference we were ahead
    by an astounding $1.11 each month! I hope you can get a better renewal rate!

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post

to cut back as well.Given the high cost of everything, I don't know how anyone can save or invest for the future. I dread the winter heating bills even though I stay at 68 F during the day and go to 64 F at night.

I think the link to save on utility bills etc are an excellent idea @barbis9 . We need to cut back as well
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

It was a long journey but we made it, we found a new place to stay based on the advice of a friend. It’s a motel but honestly the nicest one I have stayed in and it overlooks a lake in Quebec. It was 1/4 of what we paid in the summer at a chain motel in New Brunswick.
    I packed as much as I could in the SUV so today I was able to just get the perishable groceries. Omg I promise not to freak out too much about prices here but bananas are 99 cents a pound. The good thing with the local superstore is they love the 50% pink stickers. My brother neighbour gave time a huge bag of onions from the garden and I was able to pick up the cheese for half off so French onion soup is in our future. @crafter good to see you back. I can totally get on board with how else to save as I am paying 2 sets of utilities for the next 2 yrs. I put all the lights on the NS on timers with the globe app, we need to maintain the illusion someone is there when we are not so this is a cost effective way to do it. The heat will be set low and we need to see if we can replace the thermostat with an ecobee to manage it remotely.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! Looks like another nice day.

Yesterday was a good day....I went out after work to get some steps in and took a walk around No Frills and Walmart. Didn't spend much (Almond butter, bananas)
    I was starving so ate a banana! Knowing I had dinner ready at home was helpful.

Today is a work in the office day and I packed all my food. I even made my coffee at home instead of grabbing one at Mcdonalds on the way because my cofffee is so much better anyway. It use to be a nice change but I don't really enjoy it anymore.

Tonight I need to sort laundry and clean bathrooms. That is my list tonight. They are pretty clean but trying to keep a schedule to keep up on it.

Got rid of the pile of tires we put in the driveway! So happy to see them all go! Oldest DS has had 4 vehicles and tons of tires collected with them over the years. Now I just have the bin of expired food to get rid of
    harbie, walkonby, lilo0003 and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I rarely shop on Amazon but needed a special cord so to get free shipping lol I added a few things I wanted- A travel passport holder (zips up and can hold cards/cash/keys etc) and Dry bag (for kayaking and to use when traveling for beach etc) Excited to get my travel items

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Well our vacation plans changed a couple of weeks ago. Long story short meant we had to cancel it and my hair appointment due to stress/anxiety . It was a couple of rough days and a REALLY rough night but it seems to be improving . I’m forever grateful for my hubby

Anyways since I had so much food prepped I didn’t have to cook for a few days which was nice.

We did head to NF the other day to grab some veggies and such. $70.17 total 17C after point redemption. Also was floored to find the $3 Violife vegan cheese coupon. Thank you @Frugalbigmama for offering to send me some

Before the weather changed to cooler fall like we did a 50km ride to a cute town after feed ducks in another town. Best ride ever! Recovery ride 2 days later was just 25km . These rides are my medicine.

Hope everyone is having a good day and @HermanH hope you’re feeling better and that your mom isn’t too sick.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Picked up my monthly fruit and produce bags today from the Food box program. I was really pleased with the fruit for $5 plums, pears, delicious apples and bananas. I find that I pretty much stop eating fruit if I dont purchase a bag if fruit.
    The produce bag was decent for $10 as well and the celery was huge.
    I wish the program was bi weekly, it really helps the budget.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    3.50 125.00 30.00

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@harbie **HUGS** hope you feel better soon
    harbie, barbis9, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! Another beautiful sunny day here!

Have a quiet day today so should be able to get stuff done.
    #1 Kitchen clean up- Guess we didn't touch it at all yesterday. I haven't done laundry in over a week at least so I better do some today.
    Setting the dining room up is on the list too (the table/chairs need to be moved back to their space.)

I have to pop out today to pick up more of the frozen raspberries (my late night go to!!) It's working because I am down 7 lbs!!! (My size medium yoga pants were starting to feel "tight" so I had to smarten up!) I am picky about my yoga pants and am not seeing any I like to replace them lol so had to loose a few lbs.

Ok I am off to clean the kitchen and then get at the other stuff!

Have a wonderful day!!

Reviewed the upcoming sale flyers. Good deals on fresh stuff to help us with meal prep. Keeping things clean and simple. Working on using up stuff we have on hand.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information