User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: The Dreaded Computer Virus Scam Call

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My mother would tell them that he is dead in a very sad voice (they would ask for Mr. My mother’s last name, she knew right away) they would always feel horrible and apologize then my mother would do an ``evil`` laugh followed by `` its okay, I’m the one that killed him!`` they usually hang up on her. She still does this at 54!
    Last edited by kelly25; Sun, Apr 15th, 2012 at 07:19 PM.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Slaney View Post
    I can't wait to get this call!!! I'm gonna waste so much of thier time asking them stupid questions! If someone gets this call again give them my number! lol
    They have called here a couple of times but I just hung up on them. Then I saw a story on the news one night about it. One guy did record the call and the scam artist actually said to the guy: "What are you stupid???"

Now I HOPE they call so I can try and waste as much of their time as humanly possible! I figure the longer I keep them on the phone, that means one less potential scam victim is being called. Sort of like "scam baiting" but on the phone instead of emails.

By the way, how do you record phone calls? I have wanted to do that a few times so I can have evidence of the conversation but have no idea how to do it!
    Missing my Best Friend since 1971. RIP Lynda (1947-2012)

Have Questions About Internet Marketing? ASK ME!

Trading Score
    38 (100%)

I "scam-bait" these idiots too. You have to play into their whole spiel for as long as possible, they are paid commission on # of people they get. The more time you waste, the less $ they make and the less people they scam. If you're really rude to them they may go out of their way to call and annoy you as much as possible. I find wasting time then being polite/hanging up has worked the best for me so far.
    seylz_gurl likes this.
    Earn Paypal $ or Amazon gift cards every week doing searches and surveys with Swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/xXtiggerXx
    Earn quick money with short/easy surveys from Legerweb: https://legerweb.com/FOF6P

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Love the idea of "scam-bait". I usually just them them we are Amish and don't have a computer...they never seem to connect that we also shouldn't have a phone. I then tell them that I have to go feed the horses and hang up. I have yet to have them call me back.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Many Amish and Memmonite communities have a communal phone for every-one's use.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by benmackmom View Post
    Love the idea of "scam-bait". I usually just them them we are Amish and don't have a computer...they never seem to connect that we also shouldn't have a phone. I then tell them that I have to go feed the horses and hang up. I have yet to have them call me back.
    If you like the idea, google it and check it out! I was into it but just don't have the time! Just make sure you use a gmail address as it cannot be traced back to you and never give out your actual information. They might be nigerian, but that does not mean they don't have connections in Canada!!! One place to look is 419eater.com, there are others just cannot remember them all!

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

I have found my best results with those thief's was to have a consistent storey, DH has told me and MIL if they call to always say we do not have a PC, and so far our calls have gotten fewer and fewer we might get a call once a month that is way better then 3-4 times a week

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

I get both the virus and the air-duct calls sometimes 2-3x in one day, I'm at my witts end with it . I told the air duct guys THEY JUST CAME AND DID THEM TO STOP CALLING AND I ASKED FOR THE MANAGER, it makes them hang up, the computer one is often from different numbers that can't be called back I've reported them to the ndnc and provincial government in charge of these things as per Bell, after 30 years I have now blocked my number and the calls may stop in the next year or so when my number is no longer in the phonebook
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    19 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelly25 View Post
    My mother would tell them that he is dead in a very sad voice (they would ask for Mr. My mother’s last name, she new right away) they would always feel horrible and apologize then my mother would do an ``evil`` laugh followed by `` its okay, I’m the one that killed him!`` they usually hang up on her. She still does this at 54!
    OMG, that is so funny! Thanks for sharing the story.
    Earn money back when shopping on-line by going through the Ebates site. Use my referral link below.
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=p162PRHFagw%3D
    Earn SwagBucks -- get stuff free! Use my referral link below.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kristeven

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

One good way to get the duct cleaners to stop calling is to tell them you have electric baseboard heating....therefore no ducts to clean.
    Anna Michele likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

These guys called me before eight on the one morning I get to sleep in. I was so angry at the scam and the early hour that I could've spit!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I have a stupid question.
    Why talk to these guys and gals?
    Once you know who they are, just hang up.
    End of story.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tbites View Post
    Some of you may have already heard this telemarketer prank before, but if you haven't you might enjoy this
    OMG! I think just died over that one!!! Chris had a guy call about a week ago, he was trying to tell Chris that his company could sell my travel trailer for us and they would get more then we were asking for it. He also said that no one would call us except them with an offer to purchase the trailer and then they would pick it up and deliver it and everything. All we had to do was pay $1500 up front. Chris let him keep talking on speaker phone then told him he would call him back on the Monday (this was a Friday night he called, Good Friday as a matter of fact!).

After some checking on the net showed how stupid this was, he was just waiting for Monday to come. Well the guy calls on Sunday, EASTER Sunday... so Chris first tells him that he is not amused that this guy would call on Easter Sunday (since he was alone eating microwaved pizza for Easter Dinner!) and then told him the plan was overpriced, no one was gonna buy a $15,000 trailer without seeing it first and then told him "We are not signing up with you." The guy HUNG UP on him! Chris just laughed and went on with life.

The next afternoon the phone rings long distance, Chris looks at the number, sees it is the same phone number agian and says to me "This guy don't give up!" and put it on speaker phone with me beside him. Chris says hello and the same voice answers saying "Hi there, I am calling about your motorhome that is for sale." That is how dumb this guy is... Chris launched into a tirade of stuff for a good 90 seconds and then ended it by telling him to never call again or he was going to report him to the US authorities (this place was in Nevada!). He never did call agian!

Now that Chris heard that recording, he is licking his lips for the next telemarketer to call! God help us!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I these guys called me 4 times in one week. The first time I told him I knew i didn't have a virus. The second call I told him I didn't a computer. The next time he called I just hung up on him but 10 minutes later he called back. By this time was mad at him so I decided to waste his time. I told him to wait just a minute I had to go get the computer and put the phone down. I came back a couple of minutes later and said to just hang on I was having a little difficulty finding it. He told me to just take my time. So I did LOL. When I picked up the phone a few minutes later I said I now knew why I was having trouble locating my computer..... It was because I didn't have one. He hung up immediatly and I haven't had another call.

Trading Score
    84 (100%)

My husband has fun with these guys.

First few times they called we would just hang up, but one day we were just lounging around watching re-runs when they called, so we decided to have some fun.

My hubby grabbed his laptop to follow along with the instructions they were giving him, but of course never do anything they were telling them. He played along and would google whatever they were saying to do if he did not know what it would do, pretending to be soooo stupid and naive. Was great.

He was on the phone with them about 1-2 hours walking through how to find all these "viruses" and even got a supervisor on the phone too because he asked a question that the normal caller could not answer. So when it came time to download the program so they could take over the computer (or the anti virus they liked to call it) my husband quickly said "I work in IT, I know this is a scam. I just wanted to waste you time for a while so you could screw over one less person." Then hung up.

Was hilarious.

What was even better was when they called back 10 minutes later saying "Sorry, Mr. Day's Hubby, seems we got disconnected, do you need that link again for the anti virus?" LMAO! Persistent, got to give them that. We hung up after that.
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Dayanara - Earn free stuff just for searching the web!

http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=66bba0e75...fbd07b4aef23ad - WagJag it up! Great deals at a fraction of the cost.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information