User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree305Likes

Thread: Anyone else trying to lose weight? What is or is not working for you?

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Expired
    Anyone else trying to lose weight? What is or is not working for you?

I'm on a journey to drop 70 pounds and I'm curious about what everyone else is doing?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    The ONLY thing you have to lose is the WEIGHT!

My Journey To lose 70 Pounds....

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I am eating only recognizable foods (whole foods as much as possible), limiting my sugar intake for two reasons - one, my fiancé is diabetic, and two, now that I have cut it out, sugar makes me feel like crap.

For exercise, I run 3 times a week with two girlfriends and go on a BIG power walk with my Mom once a week. The group atmosphere is making me stick with it and now I get a workout rush.

I don't weigh myself but I have lost at least 3 inches on my waist in the past month since my belt/pants barely fit now.
    aussie, Lua, DH666 and 8 others like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    I am eating only recognizable foods (whole foods as much as possible), limiting my sugar intake for two reasons - one, my fiancé is diabetic, and two, now that I have cut it out, sugar makes me feel like crap.

For exercise, I run 3 times a week with two girlfriends and go on a BIG power walk with my Mom once a week. The group atmosphere is making me stick with it and now I get a workout rush.

I don't weigh myself but I have lost at least 3 inches on my waist in the past month since my belt/pants barely fit now.
    Wow! Way to go Alicia!! Good for you.
    I found the only thing that works for me is a pretty strict low carb/low fat/no sugar diet for a few weeks, then slowly add back veggies. I lost about 15 lbs in a month and have kept it off.
    Carbs are a killer for sure, but there's still alot of veggies low on carbs you can eat. Milk products send your blood sugar sky-rocketing, so avoid them completely if you can.
    lecale, walkonby, alicia and 1 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Wow! Way to go Alicia!! Good for you.
    I found the only thing that works for me is a pretty strict low carb/low fat/no sugar diet for a few weeks, then slowly add back veggies. I lost about 15 lbs in a month and have kept it off.
    Carbs are a killer for sure, but there's still alot of veggies low on carbs you can eat. Milk products send your blood sugar sky-rocketing, so avoid them completely if you can.

I too have started the no salt/sugar/dairy thing, ( and it is astounding how quickly I started feeling better once that garbage was removed from my diet) am doing a bit more as well on the Plan I am on, but it is whatever works for you.

Good luck OP!!
    lecale, glowworm2k and 90daynew like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I lost 30lbs in a few months by good 'ol fashioned counting calories. I never feel deprived..in fact, I eat very well on it, which I learned going to WW, which does work, btw.
    Right now, since I gained back 10lbs while in Florida, I've restricted my carbs to get that puffy, full feeling off me.
    I try to keep my calories around 1200, but in reality, some days it's 900, other days, 1000, which isn't healthy, so most days I try to do the 1200.
    Today's dinner is lean beef, shredded carrots, mushroom, sauteed onion stuffed peppers with another veggie on the side. Thank goodness hubby goes along with whatever I want to do, but if he's feeling deprived of carbs, there's always brown Minute Rice...

I have a "milk shake" every morning: 1C almond milk, a bunch of berries (frozen or fresh), a couple of Sweet 'n Low (can't give that up, and don't feel the need to), and an egg. Whirled up in the blender, it keeps me full until lunch-time....

So, what's worked for you before, Hon?
    Last edited by Lynn49; Wed, Apr 25th, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
    lecale, walkonby and 90daynew like this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I'm not trying to lose weight right now, but I find that what works for me for weight maintenace and just feeling good is a high fibre diet that consists of fresh and whole foods. I find that for me getting enough fibre is much more important than the ratio of carbs/protein/fat. I eat a relatively high-carb diet, but normally do not feel hungry. I like Michael Pollan's advice: Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. It works for me.

Good luck!

Sexy Canadian Genius Miss_April's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I am the same as Lynn, good old counting calories! I was 210lbs and I am now 140lbs, I feel weight loss is all about counting calories first (diet) and exercise second.

I stuck to 1100 calories a day, sometimes under and sometimes over. I never felt deprived because you can eat A LOT of food for 1100 calories veggies, chicken, and fruits, plus some carbs.

All you have to do is google meal plans and recipes and you will be on your way, I don't even have to think think twice about food anymore because I know the calories in everything lol. It just comes with time. I maintain right now, I eat about 1400-1500 calories a day and I feel great.
    AmberLab, Lua, Lynn49 and 6 others like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I cannot remember who said this now, but I thought it was great advice for how to eat. They said to eat the kinds of things your grandmother would have gotten from a garden, lots of fresh things, preferably in their original form, and try not to change them too much before you eat them, so processed foods are out.
    So many different ways to tackle the bulge, we are very lucky to have so many options to fit whatever we feel our bodies will benefit from the best.
    ( I lost 15 lbs this first week, and 20 inches overall! ) I know that initial success is lots of water, toxins, whatever...I know that my usual loss on this plan is 2 lbs per week, but Gosh it was nice to have that motivation.
    AmberLab, DH666, lecale and 3 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I am in Weight Watchers and have lost 32lbs and gone down several sizes. Sure I count points, but I find that easier than counting calories personally. Fresh foods, lots of water and lots of sleep are my basics. Do I eat Big Macs anymore? Sure do, I'll just fit it into my daily points allotment. If there is a food I want, I still eat it. There is no deprivation happening here or the system just wouldn't work for me. WW is the first program that has shown me results and the weight has been staying off too. Everyone will find their own system and this works for me.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm a whopper. I need to lose around 60 pounds. I have a plan and just need to do it and actually stick with it this time.
    lecale and 90daynew like this.

Men Coupon Too!
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I need to lose 30-35lbs, but to start I'll be happy with 20!

This is my first day with counting, never done it before... I've signed up with www.myfitnesspal.com which seems great so far in calculating everything for me... Asks my targets, figures out how much I should be eating to reach those targets, and I try and stick to them...

Today my goal was 1370 calories, 188g carbs, 46g fat, 51g protein... As long as I eat what I plan to for dinner (veggie tacos), I'll be at 1362 calories, 145g carbs, 49g fat, and 94g protein.. Went over by a lot on the protein but I think that's one of the better ones to go over on

Having fun so far!! Quite hungry right now but that's because dinner is only an hour away
    lecale, walkonby and 90daynew like this.

Lua
    Female
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Last Dec-March I was on a quest to lose about 10lb.

I have always been one to eat well (ie. I don't eat takeout more than once a month, or prepared foods... make everything from scratch.. fresh, whole foods) but my problem was that I was eating too much for my activity level. I was unable to workout or even sweat for months before due to chonic hives so eating too much and not working out packed on the lbs. I am now happy to report that I'm back to my ideal weight - avg between 123-125lbs and i'm 5'3.

What worked for me?

keeping track of my portion sizes and working out!

even though I never thought I'd be one to count calories, I signed up for myfitnesspal.com (a FANTASTIC tool) so that I could figure out how much of my foods I should really be eating. I made sure that I consumed 1200 cal/day and in 3 months, learned what my portions should really look like in comparison to my DH's.

As for workouts, for those 3 months while trying to lose, I worked out at least once (sometimes twice) 6 days a week. I started out doing Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred every single morning before work and saturdays, while riding my horse 2-3 evenings after work. You can read my recaps here (includes photos): http://mypinkthumb.com/fitness/ripped-in-30-challenge/

Once I finished my 30 days of the 'shred', I started doing Jillian Michael's Ripped In 30 every morning before work and on Saturdays.. still while riding my horse 2-3 evenings a week. Recaps on that can be found here: http://mypinkthumb.com/fitness/30-day-shred-challenge/

It took a heck of a lot of hard work and dedication, but I did it and for that I am proud. I 'counted calories' for 3 months and in the procees, learned how much my body really does need to feel sustained and happy. I lost those 10 lbs and built up some muscle that I never had before. I am now in a maintain mode and do not count calories anymore as I now have a good idea on where the items I eat stand on the calorie front. I probably consume about 1300-1500 a day and work out 5-6 times a week (currently training for a 10K!). It has been about 2 months in my maintain-mode and I'm still exactly where I want to be. Happy and Healthy!!!

p.s. throughout the entire process, I still treated myself with some dinners out... my DH and I still even enjoy our once a month burger & poutine from Mr. Burger!

.... I also just wanted to add, to give an idea of what I ate while losing vs. what I eat now

A Typical Day while Trying to Lose + at LEAST 8 CUPS OF WATER TO DRINK:

7am Breakfast: 1 C steel cut oats, 1/4 a banana, 1/3 C frozen berries, 1/4 C 1% milk, 1 tsp peanut butter, glass of water

10 am - snack: 1/2 of an apple + 10 almonds

12:15pm - lunch: homemade quinoa sweet potato soup w/ veg + a couple of rye crackers and hummus

3:00pm - snack: 1/2 C carrot sticks + 1/2 C cucumber sticks + a slice of cheese

7:30pm - supper: spinach salad w/ dressing made from dijon, red wine vinegar, olive oil + a grilled chicken breast + another veg and/or 1/2 of a baked potato topped with greek yogurt + 1/2C 1% milk + 1 70% dark chocolate square

Now that I'm maintaining, my meals haven't really changed too too much.. i now eat an entire apple and maybe 15-20 almonds with my morning snack.. an entire cup of milk with my supper...more protein in the morning.

My FAV breakfast right now is 3/4C chocolate protein shake + 1C all bran w/ milk + 1/2 C fresh berries. mmmmmm!!!

Just thought that I'd post this incase I can help someone!
    Last edited by Lua; Wed, May 2nd, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    lecale, walkonby and kouponKween like this.
    Join SWAGBUCKS! Get free amazon $!!!
    My Blog: http://mypinkthumb.com

Merician Loving Nuck! kparker1786's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm hoping to start soon. I'm nursing a broken foot right now, should be able to be walking around August/September (I broke it in Feb). My husband and I have talked and agreed to start watching what we eat (no more fast food!) and swimming. We're going to get a membership to the YMCA here. I've been in WW and will be adding what I learned there into our routine
    lecale and 90daynew like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I have taken off 35 lbs in extra "baby" induced weight over the last 8 months. I make sure to wake up early to get the old metabolism going, eat a good breakfast, then snack, then lunch, then snack, then supper, then that is it. I go to bed at a decent time and get enough sleep and that has helped big time for me for not emotionally eating. I cook a ton from scratch and love fresh and real food so I figure as long as I keep on eating approx what the Canadian Health Guide suggests and I keep on going down a poundish a week I am good to go. I want to slim down another 19ish lbs, in all likely hood it will take me another 25-30 weeks to do. I am all about slow and steady wins the race.
    AmberLab, lecale and 90daynew like this.
    www.facebook.com/perduemassageclinic good things come to those who like my page

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    114 (100%)

I feel inspired. I have about 50lbs to lose. I already eat 90% healthy food but my portions are a little out of control. Also need to keep the sneak attack cravings under control too. 1/2 tub of ice cream is not okay! Even if its only once a month...My first step is going to be getting those portions to a better size.
    AmberLab, Lynn49, lecale and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information