User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Does a dog owner have to have a fenced yard?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by greeny View Post
    I live in the GTA and have a neighbour with a very large and scary looking dog. They do not have a fence nor do we. The dog barks very loudly all times of the day and night and has even crossed over and ended up roaming our backyard. Just wanted to know what the laws are regarding pet owners and fences. Does anyone know? I really don't want to have to spend money putting up a fence because of the neighbour's dog.

Thanks for any help !
    Poor doggie. They are very irresponsible for letting him wander . It has been my experience that once you call the by law you will start a neighbour feud for life. I would suggest waiting until you see the owners and the dog together outside and approach them to let them know your issue. You have a right to keep your yard dog free if that is what you choose. If they are not willing to work with you on the solution. Then a visit from the by law officer is called for. My mother always said . The only thing that makes good neighbours is tall fences. Good Luck

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    They have already had a few showdowns in the street LOL the time they both wanted the extra parking spot on the street was hilarious, they both sat in their cars half in the spot glaring
    They sound like children. Scratch that, teenagers.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Wow, that fence thing is weird! I'm not allowed to have a fence in my area. But my ILs can and do...but it has to be about 3 feet in from your property line in case you want to get on the other side of it to paint it or clean it..etc, so you're not walking on the other person's property to do this. So you might see two fences with about 5-6 feet between them if neighbors are really particular.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all the info ! I definitely don't want to start a feud with my neighour...I'll try the peaceful way

Once again thanks everyone for your help !

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm with barginbin-barbie, poor doggie. He shouldn't be allowed to wander around. We love animals but don't have pets, we're not home enough to spend time with them. Apparently your neighbours aren't either!

After I drop my DS off at his before school care, I walk about five minutes to catch my bus, at about 7:30-ish. There's a couple houses I walk past with fenced yards, and dogs. Again, I like dogs. But if these dogs were living next to us, I'd be pretty mad. I don't see these dogs, but they bark like mad as I quietly walk by, probably every time anyone or even a bird moves. I'm sure that some of the neighbours would still be asleep at that time if they had a choice.

Even though we're up early even on weekends, I wouldn't be happy about a big dog roaming into my yard. Aside from the poo he no doubt leaves there, I'd be worried about my child. He loves dogs, always asks an owner before petting one. But if he were in the yard and this big dog wandered in, can't really ask someone now, and the dog certainly doesn't either.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

oh God i would pass out i have phobia from dogs esp the big ones ,they can smell my fear from a distance!

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

We are having a feud with our neighbour about OUR dogs. One of our dogs is a barker and we've been trying to break him of the habit. He's very protective of us and at one time a few weeks ago managed to wiggle his little bottom under our fence which, I swear, is about 1" off the ground, to confront 2 big dogs that were visiting next door. Big hoo-ha! My dh rescued the dog which was standing - shaking- not knowing where he was - they managed to get their dogs inside. Lots of bad language and not from us.
    But although I always check to make sure the neighbour or his visitors are not outside, it seems that he waits until our dogs go out and then goes out himself to challenge them.
    Bad vibes all around.

We've bought "anti-bark" vibration collars for the dogs but I don't like them. Although I've tried to "introduce" the dogs to the neighbour - they always growl and I think dogs know when there's bad feelings.

We have to get this sorted out before summer really comes.

You have my sympathy in trying to sort this out!
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Mercifully for me, my property is raised on three sides (it's on a bit of a hill), so there are fences and retaining walls on the two sides where our adjacent neighbours have dogs. There is one yappy dog in one of the adjoining yards that seems to get let out every day at 6am and 10pm which makes us, and the rest of our neighbours, unhappy campers. We try to have some patience because we've talked to them and they are getting better at policing their pups - shorter yapping sessions and trying to put the dogs out later in the morning and earlier at night. I wouldn't care except I'm usually in bed before 10 (but am a light sleeper) and DH is still trying to sleep at 6, so we both get frustrated.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    I think that it is pretty much the same across the board with fences....they are a community item, so if you were to put one up, they are responsible for half of the cost. My neighbour did not have a fence between him and his neighbour on the other side (semi) and he came home from work one day and had to write her a cheque because she just went and put one up without even asking him about it.

Got kids? Go let them rip out their flowers.
    It's worth looking into your town/city by-laws, because my town strictly says that the fence must be on one side of the property line, thus only one person owns the fence and is responsible for it. Of course its common decency to pay for half. But one of our neighbours put up the fence with no discussion at all, and then expected us to pay him for his time!!! We have no interest in paying for it. While the other neighbour spoke with us, we reached a consensus, and though we would have loved to have helped, he had the week off so he built it while we were at work. One thing I've certainly learned is communication is key.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

shoot, sorry that was the wrong link!
    let me look again!
    ok, h ere it is, right off the City of Toronto website:
    Where do I call to report a dog running at large, a public safety concern involving an animal, a dead animal, etc?
    Complaints for bylaw infractions (e.g., dog running at large, dog off leash, failure to stoop & scoop, etc.) may be reported during normal business hours by calling 416-338-PAWS (7297).

I have such a thorn in my butt for irresponsible pet owners. I do everything in my power to ensure my dog is not a nuisance and is safe. People that don't do the same just make me see red!
    Last edited by Sunshyne1; Thu, Apr 26th, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information