User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Why can't people spell colour correct!!!?????

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I always use "colour"....I totally get it! (but...I have to say...the thread title should be "why can't people spell colour correctly" )

Totally what I was going to post!
    Sally888 likes this.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

My head hurts...too many variables on spelling...I think I will just set my spell check to Canadian and leave it at that
    "The whole value of a dime is in knowing what to do with it" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Trading Score
    153 (100%)

The spelling mistake that REALLY gets me is this (I saw this a lot when searching for apartments online):
    "This room is quiet big compared to the other room." What's QUIET big????
    Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!
    Ya, could you imagine if we just growled at everyone who used improper grammar?
    Don't you just LOVE this one?
    "ALLS I know is...."
    Let me guess, you are laughing because you say this sometimes!
    Don't try to deny it either!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I tend to use mostly Canadian spelling and have installed the Canadian English spell checker for Word, email & Firefox. However, I probably use a mix of both spellings, being that I am French Canadian, and learned/improved my English grammar skills both in formal classes in Canada, but also through reading books from mixed origins. In fact, I learned that different spellings existed when a spell checker wanted to correct my "behaviour". Had to look it on the Internet to learn that I was indeed OK & Canadian! Proper grammar is very important to me, even if English isn't my first language.

Quote Originally Posted by thriftygranny View Post
    This is a pet peave if mine too!! I have two more as well, why do people pronounce the word coupon --cuepon? Makes me crazy.
    They use that all the time on TV, makes me doubt of my pronounciation!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Heh heh...every time the whole spelling/grammar/etc. issue gets raised there is always someone who says something like "[planet-wide disastrous problem] is more important than spelling (or grammar, etc.)".

I'd like to point out that I (and no doubt hundreds of others on here) completely agree that there are more important, urgent, meaningful and/or thorny issues in life - but I don't exactly rip someone's arm off and beat them to death with it every time they miss a "u" or use an apostrophe incorrectly, or not at all.

Not every time. Just once in a while.
    cabmonk, GoJays, Aimz and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by screamy View Post
    Heh heh...every time the whole spelling/grammar/etc. issue gets raised there is always someone who says something like "[planet-wide disastrous problem] is more important than spelling (or grammar, etc.)".

I'd like to point out that I (and no doubt hundreds of others on here) completely agree that there are more important, urgent, meaningful and/or thorny issues in life - but I don't exactly rip someone's arm off and beat them to death with it every time they miss a "u" or use an apostrophe incorrectly, or not at all.

Not every time. Just once in a while.
    Thank you! I would like to add on to your points with the fact that the existence of significant and widespread problems such as world hunger does not mean that other problems, however insignificant, do not matter. It's like saying your problems/opinions are important, but the problems/opinions of others are not. Unless you've never complained about anything in your life. Not to mention that this is a thread in the rant forum, with the title specifically explaining that the thread would be complaining about spelling mistakes, so if there's any right place to complain, it's here.

And yes, world hunger, poverty, and global warming are the top three issues that are brought up in these discussions.

I am definitely a grammar and spelling nerd, so I think this thread is awesome.
    thriftygranny and Scorp411 like this.

[*A I M Z*]

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I guess I'm a dinosaur...I very rarely use texting shortcuts when I type...imagine the eye-rolling from my teenaged daughter when she is online chatting with my sister and I add a few comments! For people who post a lot, I can see why they skip the capitals and use shorthand, I'm just not comfortable doing that.

I know there are more important things than spelling and punctuation, but it does reveal something about a person when they don't go to any effort to write properly.
    AmberLab, Natalka, GoJays and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    I guess I'm a dinosaur...I very rarely use texting shortcuts when I type...imagine the eye-rolling from my teenaged daughter when she is online chatting with my sister and I add a few comments! For people who post a lot, I can see why they skip the capitals and use shorthand, I'm just not comfortable doing that.

I know there are more important things than spelling and punctuation, but it does reveal something about a person when they don't go to any effort to write properly.
    I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you, for the most part. I do use proper spelling, grammer, punctuation and syntax with it's important, however, this forum is not one of those places, in my opinion.

as you can see, i am able to, more or less, get the upper case and punctuation in the right places, but that sentence took me twices as long to type out as this one.. the spelling is right, the commas are placed strategically to indicate pauses, but i just feel more comfortable typing like this.. to each his (or her) own
    anisa, KK7 and Scorp411 like this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I understand where you're coming from and I agree with you, for the most part. I do use proper spelling, grammer, punctuation and syntax with it's important, however, this forum is not one of those places, in my opinion.

as you can see, i am able to, more or less, get the upper case and punctuation in the right places, but that sentence took me twices as long to type out as this one.. the spelling is right, the commas are placed strategically to indicate pauses, but i just feel more comfortable typing like this.. to each his (or her) own

I agree 100% I don't come on here to figure out how to spell but to let loose and relax U Don't like me spelling or me grammer better not look at me posts
    GoJays and Scorp411 like this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    It's one thing to use American vs. Canadian spellings. Another to just misuse the language altogether.

I can't STAND the misuse of contractions. It's means IT IS, there is no other usage for it. A sign at work the other day advertising for food bank donations said, "Thank you for you're support." AUGH!
    That's my main problem as well, I don't mind colour vs color, etc. Even if you tried to spell check it, most forums spell check and google chromes own spell check use the American versions.

I hate things like you posted. Where's they're car, why didn't they go their with us, why can't I find it on there page.
    GoJays and Scorp411 like this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

What really bugs me is reading something like this:

ordeed teh heavy-duty verson, but it actully started coing part during insallation and it only lastd abot to weeks, before it totally fell apat. Its cut idea, but like so many otheer thing we by today, the qualty of construct and matrials crappy. It about lik somthing youd get at a .99Cent store. So, I live and learn, and teh next time I go to Home Depot, I by som matrials ad make somthing beter meyself. Dont waist you're money.

GoJays, DaveP and Darth Penguin like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    What really bugs me is reading something like this:

ordeed teh heavy-duty verson, but it actully started coing part during insallation and it only lastd abot to weeks, before it totally fell apat. Its cut idea, but like so many otheer thing we by today, the qualty of construct and matrials crappy. It about lik somthing youd get at a .99Cent store. So, I live and learn, and teh next time I go to Home Depot, I by som matrials ad make somthing beter meyself. Dont waist you're money.

Ooooh...cabmonk, my "grammar police" tendencies want to go all over that example like a dirty shirt...but I'll refrain. Bugs me too, btw.
    AmberLab and DaveP like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

one mistake i make all the time when typing fast is typing teh instead of the, and nad (yes i always think of something dirty when i make that typo!) instead of and. i do correct it when i catch it, but i always make those typing mistakes!

i think everyone is missing one of the biggest offenses... when ppl are meaning to say lose, and they type it LOOSE! i don't think these are simple typing mistakes, i think there are actually ppl out there who think you spell is loose!
    GoJays likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I'm like you on that anisa - Ive plumb whore hout da h'edit butin.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

A lot of auto corrects change it to color automatically.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information