User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Reusable bags

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Approximately 50% of other people's daily drifting garbage that I pick up from my lawn is plastic bags.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I try to reuse my plastic bags and produce bags as many times as possible and treat them like the more durable reusable bags. If it is true that the durable reusable bags need to be used 171 times to offset the higher carbon emissions though, I'd feel like it's just shifting to a new kind of pollution.

Whatever the case, I think it's important to use the bags we have and not get any new ones to add to the problem, if unnecessary. Stores who only want to promote their bags for discounts or points are missing the heart of the issue.

I've been loving some of the cute designs on cotton bags I've been seeing!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    I try to reuse my plastic bags and produce bags as many times as possible and treat them like the more durable reusable bags. If it is true that the durable reusable bags need to be used 171 times to offset the higher carbon emissions though, I'd feel like it's just shifting to a new kind of pollution.

Whatever the case, I think it's important to use the bags we have and not get any new ones to add to the problem, if unnecessary. Stores who only want to promote their bags for discounts or points are missing the heart of the issue.

I've been loving some of the cute designs on cotton bags I've been seeing!
    I agree with you about different pollution.It's not really saving the environment and people have tons and tons of these recyclable bags at home.
    Last edited by Poirot; Wed, May 16th, 2012 at 03:24 PM.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I usually just buy the plastic bags and will continue to do so until all my kids are out of diapers. I take the garbage out often as I do not want the stink inside the house. If i see that my plastic bag holder is overflowing, then i pull out the reusable bags for the next few shopping trips.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeisBeautiful View Post
    I usually just buy the plastic bags and will continue to do so until all my kids are out of diapers. I take the garbage out often as I do not want the stink inside the house. If i see that my plastic bag holder is overflowing, then i pull out the reusable bags for the next few shopping trips.
    Here plastic bags are 25c. It's actually cheaper to buy a box of cheap no name kitchen garbage bags then it is to buy the plastic bags at the grocery store!!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I received an interesting piece of information in an email today about reuseable plastic bags. Just something to think about.

How Clean Is Your Grocery Bag?

Reusable grocery bags may be eco-friendly, but they can also be breeding grounds for bacteria. Follow these tips to avoid cross-contamination.
    By Jaclyn Desforges Updated:2012-05-16 10:24Published:2012-05-09 16:00How Clean Is Your Grocery Bag?

You disinfect your counters, wash your hands before cooking and always store raw meat safely, but do you sanitize your grocery bags? "Most people are familiar with the risks attributed to cross-contamination in our kitchens but think very little of [cross-contamination] during shopping," says Kevin Allen, an assistant professor of food microbiology at the University of British Columbia.
    In recent years, reusable grocery totes have gained in popularity as an eco-friendly alternative to recyclable plastic bags. While their environmental benefits can't be denied, Allen warns that reusable bags can become contaminated with pathogenic microorganisms, passing bacteria such as salmonella onto other foods.
    But there's no need to switch back to plastic. Just follow these tips to make sure your grocery bags are as clean as your kitchen.
    Organize your grocery bags
    Health Canada recommends splitting your reusable grocery bags into two categories: one set for raw meat, poultry and fish, and one for ready-to-eat foods such as fruit and vegetables. This will help minimize the risk of cross-contamination. 
Tip: Buying bags in two different colours will help you remember which are which.
    Use extra protection
    When buying raw meat and other high-risk foods, Allen suggests taking advantage of the clear plastic bags at the meat and fish counters. An extra layer of plastic will help prevent the meat from contaminating your grocery bag (and, potentially, other foods).
    Keep 'em clean
    Even if you make sure to wrap your meat in plastic before taking it home, there's no guarantee your grocery bag hasn't come in contact with bacteria. "It's impossible to know whether a food is contaminated, so ensuring that you're cleaning and disinfecting your reusable bags is essential in minimizing possible cross-contamination," says Allen.
    If you're using thick plastic reusable bags, Allen recommends wiping them down with a commercial cleaning product or a diluted bleach solution after each use. If you're using cloth bags, make sure to toss them in the wash on a regular basis; using the dryer afterward will help kill off any remaining bacteria.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

^ I throw my bags that have meat in the washing machine when I get home.
    KK7 and Giddymonkey like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

It would be great if we could take plastic food containers and have the butcher put our meats in the containers and then just put the price label on the lid. That way we could also reduce the plastic wrap and styrofoam trays in packaging meats. We would save on excessive packaging and reduce the chances of cross-contamination. I have family in France that do all their shopping this way, works awesome!
    linnyeg, lizamarie and list465 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm absolutely certain that Superstore and Extra Foods gives you the credit on ALL re-usable bags; your cashier was in the wrong. The customer does have to be reasonable about how many are credited to them, ie, they have a small order, they can't say they are using twenty bags (hard to believe, but I've heard it happen).

I've been using my green bins more and more these days. I find that the black Superstore bags are pilling and the woven fibers are starting to loosen. Who has the best-made bags? Costco had some nice ones, but they were really large. I like Sobey's lifetime guarantee on their bags. A note about cleaning your bags...I rarely have messy bags or bins because I always put meats into produce bags first.

A tip I saw when shopping one day: a lady had an empty Kleenex box that she used to store her plastic grocery bags. I thought that was a great idea!
    iceblueraven and GatineauGirl like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    T&T doesn't charge for bags in Ontario yet. SDM, where my parents live (small town), also revoked their $0.05 per bag policy. They must have had a lot of complaints.
    I'm in Ottawa and T&T have always charged 0.05 for their bags (they opened up about 2 yrs ago). To be honest I didn't even know that we were rewarded for bringing our own bags. When I was a kid, my mum would always bring her own sturdy pink canvas sac when grocery shopping. I think that bag is older than I am LOL! Being as my mum would do that I just developed that habit as well. Admittedly we don't usually shop at the places indicated

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    A tip I saw when shopping one day: a lady had an empty Kleenex box that she used to store her plastic grocery bags. I thought that was a great idea!
    That's a cool idea. You know what would work well as well...an empty wipes container.
    Granger likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeisBeautiful View Post
    A good way to make a compromise is to get Dollarama biodigradable bags for the diapers and use canvas bags for shopping. I get them for the catlitter. I use an ice cream bucket line with a bag and then put the lid on it. When the bucket is full, just tie up the bag and out to the dumpster.there is a way to meet in the middle!!
    Insane, walkonby and GatineauGirl like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCouponSaver78 View Post
    Pricesmart, Superstore, T & T, Zellars charge 5 cents per bag if you don't BYOB
    IGA, Safeway, Walmart still gives out bag(s) when you shop
    The stores do that here too! I always use the freezer bags from Chapmans to do all my shopping. I even have a couple of fold up polyester bags in my purse in case of a last minute dash to a store. I hate paying an extra tax.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I had one of those Sobeys canvas bags rip on me today. I certainly haven't used it 171 times.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

f you're using thick plastic reusable bags, Allen recommends wiping them down with a commercial cleaning product or a diluted bleach solution after each use.
    After shopping for groceries, lugging them inside, putting everything away, all I want to do is sit down with a nice cup of coffee and put my feet up. It's a good idea to wipe the bags down, but will I ever do it? Just don't see this happening. (Does it count if my dog licks it clean?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information