User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: At what age did you buy your first house

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I was 23 ( 13 years ago) and only making $8.25 per hour. I like to tell that to kids now that are making over 10 bucks an hour and complaining about money. Try paying a mortgage!
    coupon girl, Travelnut and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Wow! If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage that? I would eventually like to see us in a house of our own, but have to get a down payment together first.

Quote Originally Posted by budge View Post
    I was 23 ( 13 years ago) and only making $8.25 per hour. I like to tell that to kids now that are making over 10 bucks an hour and complaining about money. Try paying a mortgage!

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I wish I could get a mortgage and buy instead of renting but I need to finish school and find full time work that I know won't let me go in a year or two before I start thinking about buying a place. I have some savings but I don't want to put every penny I have down on a place and then not have any savings in case something goes wrong!

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tresmom View Post
    I was 23, a condo downtown Calgary. I bought it for $120,000 and sold it 4 years later for $218,000 so it was a great investment
    Wow, almost doubling your investment in 4 years sure beats the return that a bank can give today. WTG.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Sun, May 20th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    I think I was 31. Reason being. . .when I was in my 20's, the interest rates were around 18 percent! We saved and actually built our own in the country. . . .for our dogs of course! lol
    Wow, 18% interest is sure different from the 2.9% rate that some people got a few months ago.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Wow, 18% interest is sure different from the 2.9% rate that some people got a few months ago.
    Yes, but those higher interest rates will come back eventually. And for those that buy a home now with the teeny-tiny interest rates, will they still be able to afford that same home when interest rates go up? But I am loving those low interest rates while we have them. The trick is not to buy up to what you can afford with record setting low rates, but to buy less than you could afford with more normal rates.
    harbie likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    121 (100%)

I was 34 when we bought our first house. It was a great single family home with a huge yard, a garage and a fireplace. And it was soooo affordable, because we were living in a small town in NW Ontario. But now I'm in Ottawa, so we have a much smaller home (it's a townhouse) that came with a much higher price tag.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

38 me and hubby 39 waited for bf to do his Phd

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    18 (100%)

I was 20 and DH was 21, we have moved (upgraded) 3 times now. We are now settled, I wish we were more in the country as the city is building up around us way to fast...but it is perfect for us and the kids.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

On the deed? Or truly bought? My name was on title at 19 (for a house I lived in and was owned jointly with my parents). It was a 1.5 storey war time home, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms on a narrow lot.

My second home was bought when I was 24 with my husband. A very lovely 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath 2 storey home in a nice part of town. Big, treed yard -- about 1800sq feet with a finished basement. It was the first time I went through the home buying process on my own.

Of course, we move into our 3rd home 2 years later (d'oh) -- and now live in an even larger home with my MIL who has her own apartment in the walk out basement. We have 4 bedrooms, MIL has 1 & a den. We have 2.5 bathrooms, she has 1. Our space is around 2500sq feet, hers is around 1200sq.

Trading Score
    51 (100%)

I was 27 and single... bought a condo. I still kept it even after meeting my dh and getting married and buying another house. Its nice to be able to rent it out... i dont make any money on it but its an investment
    $5.00 OFF I've been using Flashfood to get huge savings on groceries. I thought you’d want to try it out. Use my invite code for a freebie: https://flashfood.app.link/h49poEm9AP

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Its so great to see all the responses and see the age difference in when people have bought their first home. Keep the replies coming!!
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Couponing Princess!
    Trading Score
    284 (100%)

I was 28, hope to have it fully paid off before I turn 35.
    harbie and MortgageQueen like this.
    Add me on twitter and I'll add you back! Just mention you are from SC!

@hoppmichelle

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

we were 22-both hubby and i bought for 35,000 back when the interest rates were 18%-in 1981-fixed it up a bit- put new kitchen(bathroom)in too sold for 110,000(14 years later)-bought our second house have been in it for 13 years-hope to be morgage free in a few more years(we rented apt for first 2years of our marriage-hubby didnt have a steady job)plus we really saved for that first down payment(saved 10,000 to put on our first home)

my son bought his first house at 24 small one with his wife -now sold it and is having one built-made 40,000

my daughter bought her first condo at 28-it was hard living in toronto and renting an apt for 5 years -school loans etc-getting started with a career
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Aug 3rd, 2012 at 07:42 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information