User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do banks even pretend to be service oriented anymore?

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I don't know if all banks are like this, but I'm getting pretty annoyed with RBC. While my husband and I normally deal with other banks, our mortgage and first son's RESP are there.

I went in mid-morning on a weekday, hoping to talk to someone about changing to a family RESP, and was told that nobody could see me. There were no customers waiting, and it looked from the schedule that most of the staff had time blocked off at different times that morning (and many of them overlapping) for "PLANNING" (all written in different individuals' handwriting) It happened that I had the 3-year-old at daycare and just had the baby with me, and our appointment elsewhere had ended early, making it a good time to see someone at the bank. I was forced to return the next day with both kids! Shouldn't they always have someone available to see clients, even if people have to wait half an hour?

Anyway, the next day, the task that needed to be done took all of fifteen minutes. At the end, the guy looked at the computer and said, "Oh, you have your mortgage here.... there's lots of room there. Do you have any other debts anywhere else? Car? Credit card? Are you planning to buy anything big? We could always add it to your mortgage." I couldn't believe what I was hearing... I had gone in to deposit money into the kids' RESPs, not take equity out of the house! (And no, I don't have any other debts to consolidate!)

The last time I was in to open a savings account (to put money away for a few months for taxes and pension buyback), the process took almost an hour. They wanted to assess my "risk tolerance" and try to convince me to put the money into mutual funds!

I realize that banks are businesses, but it would be nice if they had clients' best interests in mind and would act more like financial advisors than salespeople. It's no wonder that people get into trouble!

Do others experience the same things at the banks they deal with?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yup they are all the same.

Its not really the the fault of the bank retail employees , most of them are underpaid and are forced to upsell .

They have a quota system and constantly pressurized from the upper management to try and sell you products , its not even like they ( lower level employees Like tellers etc ) make a great commission on it or anything , but its due to the constant pressure from their superiors who force them to present these useless products to their customers.

They are told its a part of their job and they can be fired for not meeting their quotas. Even if they don't sell you anything they are still forced to present it to you atleast all these LOC, Credit Cards etc.

I went to BMO last week to just deposit a cheque and the teller was asking me if I wanted a LOC ..lol..next time I will deposit the cheque thru the ATM instead
    matrix82 likes this.

Boo Radley Conspirator roseofblack25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I get told by my bank all the time that I have too much money "just sitting there" and that I should invest it...um hello I am unemployed and a college student paying tuition so I need the money that is "just sitting there"...
    matrix82 and alicia like this.

Search and win with SWAGBUCKS!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I'm with PC, and couldn't be happier. I do almost entirely all online banking, and use the CIBC ATMs. The last time I went to speak with a financial planner from CIBC I felt he just wasn't listening to me, and kept pushing mutual funds. I ended up just opening up a TFSA with PC for now, once I have all my ducks in a row and my debts paid off I may go see one again, but they just wanted me to get a LOC to pay off my debts, blah blah, don't want more credit.....
    aemi likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    Yup they are all the same.

Its not really the the fault of the bank retail employees , most of them are underpaid and are forced to upsell .

They have a quota system and constantly pressurized from the upper management to try and sell you products , its not even like they ( lower level employees Like tellers etc ) make a great commission on it or anything , but its due to the constant pressure from their superiors who force them to present these useless products to their customers.

They are told its a part of their job and they can be fired for not meeting their quotas. Even if they don't sell you anything they are still forced to present it to you atleast all these LOC, Credit Cards etc.

I went to BMO last week to just deposit a cheque and the teller was asking me if I wanted a LOC ..lol..next time I will deposit the cheque thru the ATM instead
    Very true. It's all about "them" . . not you. You schedule appointments to suit them and they just sell you whatever they can because they are , in fact, under intense pressure to sell.
    Your best bet is to get yourself a financial advisor, who can analyze your individual needs and goals and advise you accordingly.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I bank with RBC, and I have to say, they've been really good to me. I always make an appointment ahead of time...I have gotten in to see someone at the last minute, but it isn't something that I expect. People at my branch know me by name and it is always a good experience. Sure they try to upsell on some things, but for the most part, they leave me alone.

They are obligated by the government to do risk profiles on their clients who invest with them. Depending on your answers, they make suggestions that fit within that assessment. Imo, a financial adviser is not for everyone; they also do their share of pressure selling.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Weve just started dealing with cibc and its a very small town one 1500 people population. Yes their trying to rework some things etc but weve never been helped out before or offered to come up with a savings plan etc.

If anything Id say ive been very unhappy with the 2 mortgage brokers ive dealt with in the past. Very rude and pushy.
    Last edited by Sally888; Mon, May 21st, 2012 at 11:15 PM.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Weve just started dealing with cibc and its a very small town one 1500 people population. Yes their trying to rework some things etc but weve never been helped out before or offered to come up with a savings plan etc.

If anything Id say ive been very unhappy with the 2 mortgage brokers ive dealt with in the past. Very rude and pushy.

Are you referring to independent mortg. brokers Sally, or bank mortgage reps?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I think it matters who you deal with.

I bank with all 4 major banks...but my mortgage is at RBC. I could not be happier with them. Everytime I need to have a meeting they make time for me and are always on time. They seem to go the extra distance for me too. They are even willing to lift my 10% annual principle payment to a greater percentage on my next payment without any penalities.

I really seem to enjoy what they are offering me thus far.
    Matt

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by kanewtz View Post
    I think it matters who you deal with.

I bank with all 4 major banks...but my mortgage is at RBC. I could not be happier with them. Everytime I need to have a meeting they make time for me and are always on time. They seem to go the extra distance for me too. They are even willing to lift my 10% annual principle payment to a greater percentage on my next payment without any penalities.

I really seem to enjoy what they are offering me thus far.

I think your experience is definitely a reflection on your Branch Manager. Usually the whole branch is a reflection on the management. I'm sure he/she would love to hear your opinion. It's nice to hear the "good stuff" too. . . or better yet, send it to Head Office.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

I'm about to say something profane for this first time..I sincerely like my bank right now. I'm with ScotiaBank and DH and I have a financial advisor there. We think he is great and we have a friendly rapport with him (and he is great when we can't get sitters and have to bring the kids in to appts too.). Like a doctor or dentist, etc, we book appointments to see him; there is really no "dropping in" to see a financial advisor (like we drop by to see a teller) - you may have a longer wait or not even be seen at all. I can understand your frustration because I have small kids too, but that is exactly why I'd rather make an appt - to know I *will* be seen and on time. Since we go to the same FA over and over he is familiar with our financial history and how much he can suggest things to us, but he's also very non-pushy as for upselling. I would recommend to anyone, if you get a good rapport with a FA, do it and stay with the person. As for other banks, I've also tried CIBC (don't like), RBC(don't like), Bank of Montreal (seemed okay but I think SB is better). If you're not happy with your bank service you might want to think about shopping around to others.

Side note: My experiences have not all been good - I did have another FA at the same bank who I didn't have a good gut feeling about - turns out my gut feeling was right - I had been in with her several times, even made phone calls and she had STILL failed to process paper work and follow my instructions. I found out about her screwup a YEAR later. Silly me, assuming she knew how to do her job (she was not a newb to it.). She's lucky it was fixable, but it's prime reason why I stick with my new FA who I like and he knows how to do the job.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm pretty annoyed with RBC lately too. I've been dealing with some stuff for my mom, I have a power of attorney for her and she is in the hospital. When I wanted to make use of the POA document, they asked me to make an appointment. Fine, did that, only to find out that they needed other things that they didn't feel the need to tell me about ahead of time. I got the thing they needed, scanned it and sent it via email as they requested, then they decided that they needed me to deliver the original to them. I did - with a letter telling them what I thought of the whole process. You'd think no one had used a POA before there!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

TD is just as bad. Someone close to me went in to get a loan to cover some credit cards because this person is a spender, not a saver and needed a way out (which they let the bank know the reason for the loan and so on). They gave this person the loan, plus a line of credit and 2 more credit cards, which they then maxed out as well. So this person is up to their eyeballs in debt. The banks are just manipulative enablers with their practices....because they make a fortune off of people with the interest payments.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

My DH and I have been with RBC for 7 years. We've had mortgages, loans, cc. etc. I have also had my own account, with scotiabank for about 10 yrs. DH and i went to RBC to get a new mortgage (we were moving) they messed up on our application, said it was our fault and were denied our mortgage. (they added our then existing mortgage twice on the application) we went to rbc a while ago to renew our current loan so that we could just make one payment a month instead of 5, they said we had an E rating and were a high risk. Now with scotia bank i have no complaints (other than their hours) They said we can have a mortgage no problem, offered us a good interest rate as well. We went into get a loan so we are only making one payment. They said yes, since I have an AA credit rating, and DH has an A rating. The lady I deal with there is amazing. She calls me just to check up. Always goes above and beyond. She knows my child's name, and always ask's how he's doing. And she's one of those ladies who actually listens when you talk. I love scotia bank. And today DH and I are going to RBC and closing all our accounts there.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

LOL! With what I've experienced, I've ceased to consider them professionals I should be required to make an appointment to see (unless I'm needing to do something time-consuming, like applying for a mortgage, looking for financial advice, or investing money in more than GICs). To me, they're simply salespeople. I really think they should make staff available on a drop-in basis for simple things like opening accounts. My husband was at a teller last week and asked about opening a joint savings account. He was told he'd need to make an appointment.

I think this particular branch may be particularly bad, though.
    Last edited by Minou; Tue, May 22nd, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information