User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree390Likes

Thread: Bill C-78 "emergency" legislation

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    I'm sorry that you and anyone else in Montreal is being inconvienanced but I would hope that a little inconvienance would be worth your Democracy.
    "A little inconvenience"?? Folks are losing their jobs. Being unable to pay rent, bills, mortgages, etc. is a lot more than just a little inconvenience. Too many people, the majority of which are seniors and families with young children are missing important doctors' appointments and medical treatments out of fear. Our main hospitals and medical facilities are in the downtown core. Small business owners can't handle loss of clients for such a long duration. They have their lives' savings invested and are at risk of losing it all. In addition, imagine living in the area! People shouting in the streets, vandalism, teargas, bonfires being lit, sirens, and helicopters until near sunrise...for over 3 months now. How do you imagine they're able to get up bright and early each morning willing and able to get to work? How on earth can they function normally?

Quote Originally Posted by TaraF View Post
    But to put restrictions on protesting and to say you can be fined for promoting a protest is a direct violation of our rights as Canadians.
    As I wrote above, what about the rights of those being negatively affected? Do they not count at all?

I'm not saying I agree with the entirety of Bill 78 but, for dogs' sake, something has to be done to control the mayhem that is becoming of our city. This is no longer about simple tuition hikes, this is about everything and anything that people have to gripe about. It's become a freaking rant fest. Never mind youtube and 30 second news clips, you have to be here to see it, to live it, to understand what it's all about.
    abbasgirl, Natalka, AnnieP and 4 others like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    99 (100%)

For those that are living amongst this I understand that having the first hand experience is a lot different from watching from afar. I hope that the violence that has been happening can be stopped for the sake of safety for you all. I would however like to say one final thing: As I've already stated, I do not agree with violence or rioting, but that also applies to police brutality. Unfortunately where people gather you will accumulate some whose main objective is to start crap and those people should be arrested, absolutely.

Protesting and rioting are 2 very different things and as Bill 78 applies to protesting it therefore violates the rights of Canadians. I wish those that are peacefully protesting all the best and hope they continue fighting for what they believe in. And those that are violent I hope are dealt with by being arrested like they should be.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's time to impose the War Measures Act martial law.
    Patty Smyth likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Poirot View Post
    It's time to impose the War Measures Act martial law.
    If this had been going on for 100 days in my town I'd likely feel the same way.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Ho-hum just another night

Nightly march turns ugly

Posted By: Michel Boyer [email protected] · 5/23/2012 12:30:00 AM

Another night of the Quebec student conflict, ended with violence last night.
    Preliminary reports from Montreal police say there were 50 arrests, some facing charges of illegal gathering, assaulting a police officer and armed assault.
    Protesters threw rocks and bottles at police. The protest was declared illegal around 9:45 p.m.
    Riot police moved in and dispersed the crowd into several different groups using stun grenades, tear gas and pepper spray. Tools that have become commonplace when riots errupt.
    There were several mass arrest operations. Many were held and guarded by police on the corner of Mansfield and Ste. Catherine street. Police then cuffed the alleged scofflaws using tie-wraps.
    Tuesday was the 100-day mark of the student conflict which has attracted attention from media across the world.
    Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, leader of the CLASSE, the student association known for its hardline stance, announced that his group will not cease the unrest throughout the summer months - which may bring chaos to the city's famous summer festivals.
    Photo: Michael Forian

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

MONTREAL—They arrived by the tens of thousands and flooded the streets of downtown Montreal, deepening a crisis for a government whose emergency law — meant to defuse tensions with students — may be backfiring.
    In massing its largest protest ever on the 100th day of the student strike, the movement has not only proven it can continue to mobilize its members and sympathetic parts of the population.
    It also forces Premier Jean Charest and his cabinet to answer the difficult and potentially embarrassing question: what if they created a law and it didn’t work?

PHOTOS: 100th day of protests
    Two student associations had given police the intended protest route and itinerary, the most controversial requirement under Bill 78, which imposes stricter rules on street protests of 50 people or more.
    The giant crowd, however, cleaved into three marches and paralyzed the central core for the better part of Tuesday afternoon.
    Even those who thought they were following the right path ended up on the wrong one. Police, however, let protesters go where they wanted and said most marched peacefully.
    “The law is a total failure,” said protester Xavier Racine-Béchard, a 19-year-old junior college student wearing a T-shirt that said “Disobey.”
    “There are too many people to try to manage.”
    One march that included masked members of the anarchist Black Bloc was quickly declared illegal. Bank windows were smashed, police reported. Anarchist graffiti was also sprayed along several routes.
    The protest had been planned for days and massed visible support from unions and members of the public who support the students’ cause.
    It’s now official: what were once protests against tuition hikes have transformed into protests for the right to protest.
    “We deplore that the government chose the path of repression rather than that of negotiation,” said Léo Bureau-Blouin, president of the association of junior colleges.
    The largest and most militant federation, the CLASSE, vowed to disobey the law by not informing police of protest plans. On Tuesday its members kept that promise by going another way.
    According to the law, student associations risk huge fines, up to $125,000, for contravening Bill 78.
    Since it was passed last Friday, police in Montreal have not been able to apply the law to its letter.
    Nighttime protests over the weekend turned chaotic and led to more than 500 arrests and a dozen injuries, including a serious head trauma.
    Montrealers witnessed fires in the streets, illegal barricades, Molotov cocktails, as well as aggressive police interventions. Patrons of a bar patio were pepper sprayed.
    Protesters did not hand over itineraries to police and were nevertheless allowed to continue their marches.
    That was also the case Tuesday night, until about 10 p.m. when police had beer bottles and other projectiles thrown at them and warned the crowd to disperse. They reportedly made two arrests.
    The giant protest on Tuesday made it clear police would not be able to arrest thousands of people.
    Montreal Police Service spokesman Ian Lafrenière said the force is still trying to “figure out how to apply” the new law.
    Lafrenière said the law is “a tool in the toolbox” and police have the discretion over how and when to use it.
    Critics say the law is an affront to fundamental freedoms.
    Charest and his cabinet blasted the CLASSE for advising civil disobedience.
    “It’s a nice word for vandalism,” said Justice Minister Jean-Marc Fournier. “Normally, in a democratic society, we accept that the law must be applied, respected . . . We cannot simply say, ‘I don’t like this law.’”
    Charest emphasized that two parties in the legislature voted to pass the law, not just his own, and noted similar laws in other cities.
    “In Montreal, we saw events that are deplorable and nothing justifies violence,” he said.
    He insisted the door was still open to students to talk. He was careful, however, not to use the word “negotiate.”
    A new poll by Leger Marketing shows that Quebecers are equally divided when it comes to the emergency law, at 47 per cent on each side.
    Still, 61 per cent were for the part of the new law that requires them to inform police of a demonstration’s itinerary.
    Underscoring Quebecers’ skepticism over the end of the conflict, 73 per cent said that the law would not lead to social peace.
    The poll of 1,186 Quebecers has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 per cent, 19 times out of 20.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois, leader of the CLASSE, the student association known for its hardline stance, announced that his group will not cease the unrest throughout the summer months - which may bring chaos to the city's famous summer festivals.
    Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois: Not only should tuition be free, but rent should be free too . For all the union money from across the country being pumped into supporting these protests, you'd think he'd be able to afford rent.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...O2lKc.facebook
    lecale likes this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

These heros stormed a school after some students gto an injunction so they could attend classes without protestors disrupting. So much for their democratic right.

DaveP likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I'm sure his mom is proud.

DaveP likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)