User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Protest talk - thread

Member of rep ho-ing club kelly25's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I tried and look at both sides and frankly its hard to not simply be against the protests because they are destroying my city. Thought I’d share a video that helped me understand what some of the students are thinking. Also I’d like to point out only 10% of them are destroying the city and destroying the image of the other 90% who are trying to accomplish this in a positive way. As I said, its hard but I try to open my mind here despite all the violence, economy and fear

Last edited by kelly25; Wed, May 23rd, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I am not against the protestors. I am against the violent groups that have now taken over. I am against making some punk student union leader's opinion stand for all students(he does not). I am against holding hard working citizens trying to go about their daily business being constantly stresssed out because they do not know what they will encounter on their way to or from work. Imagine how it is going into the Metro not knowing what will happen?

People throw around the word democracy like it's the word of god. We do not live in a democratic society. We are not a true democracy. 50+1 is a democracy. If this were a "democracy" then the 2/3 of people against these disruptions would be winning. We are losing, our city, respect, our reputation as a safe place to visit. There has now been a travel advisory issued against Montreal.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

oh and yes I am FOR the tuition hikes

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I paid 13000$ for my education but believe me my kids starting getting money for their education when they were 3 months! I’m still paying that off, worked nights and weekends and went to school. Believe me Patty what you’re saying is all obvious reasons to be against all this but what I’m saying is as hard as it is to see there is another side to this. How do you think the students feel about having other students acting like such savages? I can tell you this is not the image they want to project. I think we are spoiled (we don’t pay much for school) but now this has become about being listened to, gouv power trips, freedom ect.. crazy how far this has gotten, I used to take the metro every day and now I won’t go anywhere near it. This needs to be settled without violence but nobody can say how or when.
    Last edited by kelly25; Wed, May 23rd, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
    quebecqueen likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Anyone that went to school has debts, I had thousands, DH had thousands and this was back in the 80's. We paid it off , that's how it works. Nothing if free. If this is the future of this province I can tell you now that we will become a bunch of lazy, unproductive, self centered, nation of entitlement. We are well on way way with only 60% of people paying income tax and the rest living off it.
    AnnieP, 2010ontest and Doda like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Patty I'm sure you'll like this!

Name:  581121_10151723968300517_717610516_23586133_1101095697_n.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  55.6 KB
    Patty Smyth and GeorgiaK like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Just to throw my 10 cents...
    I live downtown and since more than 3 weeks I can't sleep. Every night there is something going on - protest, riot, arrestations, students shouting on the street (sad to tell but they are oftenly drunk...). Since at least 3 weeks there is a helicopter over my condo building every single night... You can't imagine how loud it is - you can't sleep till 2-3 a.m. My neighbour has a baby and she moved to her mother for the time of the protest, because of the helicopter every night her baby couldn't sleep and was constantly crying. Last week we got the facade of the building sprayed in red, the other day during the protest on the Maisonneuve, some student was trying to jump on our balcony. WTF????? how long it's gonna last????

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I really feel for you guys who live in town
    Patty Smyth and AnnieP like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Sorry to hear this Doda, it really must be a nightmare

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kelly25 View Post
    This needs to be settled without violence but nobody can say how or when.
    I say call a referendum asap. Let the people of Quebec decide. And if they decide for the tuition hikes and the protesting students still don't abide by the law, call in the army. At least the government will know with certainty that's it has the support of it's people in doing so.
    Patty Smyth, abouret and kelly25 like this.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Oh Doda, I am so sorry you are experiencing this where you live . I only work nearby and it's affected business a great deal. We also have to close up earlier 2 days a week so that we can get home before the protests along boul. Rene Levesque start. I think I'd totally flip if I was forced to put up with that crap day in and day out. I wish most for people in your situation that this will end very soon.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    135 (100%)

Was there a protest tonight too? Had to run up to Pharmaprix on Ste-Catherine/Guy, and when I passed the local police station, the police were filling up their cars with bags and heading somewhere.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Thank you for understending, that means a lot to me!
    I really hope it will end up soon, cause in my opinion at the point where we are now, this became ridiculuos.
    Even now writing to you, i see through my living room window that policemen started to form on Maisonneuve which means there is something going on already...

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Isn't it usually at 8pm eveynight. I am so pissed because we go down to the old port during the week with the kids at night and watch the musicians and walk around, haven't been able to go yet.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

I only know to get to the Ville Marie tunnel before 9pm. We can usually see the protesters making their way west as we're crossing Rene Levesque.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information