User Tag List

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Is costco worth the money?

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I'm wondering if the membership costs plus the cost of gas to drive between 40 and 65 mins to one of my closest 5 shops is going to be offset by the savings I can make shopping there.
    Good point - factoring all the additional costs, it may not be worth it. Since grocery stores can mark up their price up to 50% on certain products, using coupons, sales and stocking up, may make the grocery store price equal to the membership fee paid at Costco.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If you know you're going to save your full membership plus, it's worth it. Certain things are cheaper but it also depends where you live. When i lived in northern ontario, my membership would pay for itself just if i bought my milk there. Now in southern ontario, some stuff is just not cheaper. Some stuff in general is more expensive but there are some key things that are cheaper: quinoa, laughing cow cheese, sometimes the meat but only if you want pork chops to be extra extra extra thick, frozen broccoli, nuts (and never rancid), print cartridges, luggage, clothing, lactase enzyme, vitamin D, some personal care products, books... Sometimes baking things are cheaper but you have to watch because of changing product prices (at costco and in your grocery store). Some big ticket items are cheaper at times (ie: generator). Sometimes too you find a good deal and then they just don't carry the product anymore. I find it kind of frustrating to shop there because of this. The other thing you really have to watch for is changing prices that make the coupons they give at the door useless. One time they had the aveeno body wash on for 14 something but when they came out with the coupon, the regular price was now 17$ and you actually ended up paying more for the product with the coupon. I went back a month or more later and the price for the exact same item was back down.

If you have a big family or you live in an area where food prices tend to be more expensive, it is worth it. However, you have to evaluate for yourself. They don't have the variety- if you like a certain kind of spaghetti sauce, you'll only have 2 choices. You may not like the ones they have. Generally though, most people walk out having spent way more than expected so if short term budget is an issue, it's not worth it.
    pippinelkhound likes this.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

We don't use our costco regularly, but certainly do get our money's worth. We like to go to the movies once a month or so, and for (I think) $22, you can get a coupon for 2 adult admissions, 2 popcorns, and 2 drinks. That's less than the cost of just the adult tickets! That's one way we stretch our dollars. We also pick up mushrooms, fresh fish (quality and price are great), almonds, jam (big, big containers of low-sugar jam for under $6 - I can't make it that cheaply!), vitamins, prescriptions, and sometimes toothbrushes when the deal is good. Kleenex tend to be reasonably priced when you get a sale (esp. as DH is very picky about the type he will use - they have to be 3-ply, and we go through TONS as we both have allergies!). You have to be careful about your prices, but you can certainly pay for the cost of your membership even if you go just once a month!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I forgot to mention earlier that you don't need a membership to shop on Costco online. They have a lot of stuff online and shipping is either free or dirt cheap (got a fantastic dollhouse for the girls, shipped up north for free!) They even have the cineplex tickets online.
    ssbean likes this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Cheap brand Claritin is very well priced there. I agree with someone who says they like the garbage bags- I can't tolerate perfume or air freshener, and now almost every brand of garbage bag comes with perfume in the bag, even walmart brand. I was super excited when I realized the Kirkland ones at Costco don't have perfume in their bags, and they were cheap. They'd better not start adding it or I won't know what to do with my garbage anymore. I also find them to be good bags for the price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    158 (100%)

I won't give up my membership, for one main reason. Their gift cards. When I can buy a $100 gift card for $75 bucks, it is worth it to me. And I also love their meat, it is the only place that I will buy steaks.
    ssbean and nicolthepickle like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlmama04 View Post
    I won't give up my membership, for one main reason. Their gift cards. When I can buy a $100 gift card for $75 bucks, it is worth it to me. And I also love their meat, it is the only place that I will buy steaks.
    Unless you are buying them on the resale market, I don't think you get a discount on the face value of Costco gift cards.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I save the amount of the membership fee in flour alone. Also things like vegetable/canola/olive oil are great prices there.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marstec View Post
    Unless you are buying them on the resale market, I don't think you get a discount on the face value of Costco gift cards.
    It's not Costco cards. They have 100$ restaurant cards for $75. Various restaurants. I think I've seen spa ones too.
    Insane and ssbean like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolthepickle View Post
    It's not Costco cards. They have 100$ restaurant cards for $75. Various restaurants. I think I've seen spa ones too.
    Really? I've never even looked at those, assumed that they were face value and no discount! Will have to check that out!
    Insane and nicolthepickle like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

Wow! TY. I am going to check that out. I am always learning from my SC friends.
    Insane and nicolthepickle like this.
    If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    158 (100%)

Especially at Christmas Time they have a good selection of gift cards, the one I got a friend of mine was for The Keg restuarant, I have also seen lift tickets. Great gifts at a reduced price, or buy a couple and use them for yourself for "date night". :D

nicolthepickle likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

They also have cool stuff and NICE chocolates at Christmas time that are great prices. You can get a very impressive box for a good price.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Really? I've never even looked at those, assumed that they were face value and no discount! Will have to check that out!
    The only ones I have seen in Halifax are either the great movie combos or for very high end restaurants in the city - $80 for $100 value at Cut, and... I can't remember the other one.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post
    The only ones I have seen in Halifax are either the great movie combos or for very high end restaurants in the city - $80 for $100 value at Cut, and... I can't remember the other one.
    So only restaurants and movies? Nothing like Chapters or Old Navy or clothing places?
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information