User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree197Likes

Thread: Yard sale couponing??!!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i have personally reported ppl who were selling painkillers on kijiji.

it was probably tylenol or advil or something like that, i forget now.

emailed their local police with a link to the ad.

ppl selling stuff out of their garage or basement is just wrong on so many levels.

these are probably ppl who weren't smart enough to start legitimate businesses. they shop sales and then think they are going to make big bucks. not too bright.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

RE: Everybody commenting on my post about resale... Interesting take some people have had on what I posted.

RESELLING products is not illegal. I am perfectly aware that stores purchase items from companies to resell. I am not stupid. That has ZIP to do with coupons and nothing to do with this conversation. Companies purchase direct from the manufacturer or from a liquidator.

ChristineJ has it exactly right. Many coupons say on them NOT VALID IF PURCHASING FOR RESALE or similar. If you're buying a few cases of pop and mini chip bags from costco to sell at your garage sale lemonade stand, I highly doubt you're going to have the moral police knocking at your door.

But when you purchase hundreds of products with coupons (and in the case of stackers, get them for free) and sell them to profit off of them, you're screwing the company. This is why DOZENS of major manufacturing companies (P&G, SC Johnson, reckitt benckiser etc) have put a complete stop on stacking their products. They have directly contacted LD and said stop taking these, because people are reselling them and it's screwing us badly.

If you have a couple of an item that say, you find out DH is allergic to, by all means get rid of it in whatever way you see fit. Got an Airwick or two you know you don't like the scent of? Get rid of that too. But having a store set up in your garage on yard sale day is not okay. If you're buying things in bulk to make money from, that is absolutely what the terms on the coupon are referencing.

People who do crap like that are the reason stacking has gone to complete hell in a year and a half.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I feel that I should answer the "How do you know it's couponers" question. Unmistakable traits, especially if you're a couponer yourself:

1. Lots of the same types of things, or same brands. Lots of Air Wick, Glade, Gillette, Irish Spring etc. Often these will come in seasons, if you see a half dozen Christmas-scented smellies of every variety, you know that person got them on sale during clearout.

2. Far too much for average household use or bought-and-didn't-like. You didn't buy 20 of that Aveeno body wash just to discover on bottle number 1 you weren't fond of it if you're just a regular joe.

3. More than what an average household would need of one item. I own err... seven? of those glade sense and sprays. LD website as an example lists them at $10 apiece. Please don't tell me I spent eighty dollars including tax on them, as a reasonable everyday person, and just decided I do not like them. Plfoulds had a good comment on that, 30 duracell chargers? Nobody uses that many batteries.

Not foolproof, an 'auction' situation could have happened, but it's not that likely if you know exactly what you're looking at.
    anisa and secheltsaver like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Totally agree Mostarkagirl. You cant sell the coupon but you can sell your items.
    Whose to say you cannot resell?
    Buying bulk is how stores keep their buisinesses going.You also use coupons at costco for your bulk items which are bought by thousands to be resold in their stores.
    No differnce than going to urban planet and buy for example a pr jeans with your spc card savings. Its still like a coupon so you are allowed to sell it so no difference.
    Good luck to whomever makes money on their items if they choose to sell.
    sharkie likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Stacking was not stopped at LD by the companies. If so why are they allowing SOF to still do it with the same items?
    LD as far as im concerned are trying to find all the excuses they can possibly find to get out of the stacking totally because they dont like spending the time with a customer to do it.
    I was told this awhile ago that it will be stopped altogether soon, and it was said by an employee at LD.
    Last edited by michigan803; Wed, Jun 6th, 2012 at 03:26 AM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by plfoulds View Post
    I was a little confused and did not know what to think today. I went to a few yard sales today and found 3 of them that were people that did couponing. They had tons and tons of couponing stuff for sale??!! I found this a bit disturbing. What do you think about people selling this stuff at their yard sales?? One was strickly couponing stuff
    i think it is just fine if thats what they want to do.
    No loss on my part. Theres no law saying who can have a yard sale and who cant. Weather you are a couponer or not.
    sharkie likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SynthiaD View Post
    No it's illegal and the sole REASON London Drugs in the west wont stack anymore, because people were ordering whole palets, using coupons to get the items free and then selling the merchandise seperatly, its against the law and morally wrong by all means.... If I was there I would have called the police, and yeah seems harsh in your eyes but its the right thing to do.....
    It is kinda funny calling the police on a couponer. OMG what they gonna do put a person in jail for having a yard sale?
    cdylan and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

someone operating a side business of reselling items may very well be breaking IF they are not a licensed business, do not collect/file taxes for said business, do not issue receipts etc.

y'all might think you're scoring big by reselling, whoever you are... but really you're running a black market scam

thankyouverymuch
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I often go at yard sales and yes sometimes someone will be selling lots of the same products but to accuse that person of doing something illegal without "real" proof of anything..nope! not going to go that route. Yes, it's pretty much obvious that's what she probably did but probably is not enough in my book.
    sharkie likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by glowworm2k View Post
    You can re-sell items you've purchased and not used, but purchasing items for the purposes of re-sale is crossing a line.

While you can argue that "once I buy it, it's mine to do with what I want", and "Loblaws buys from someone else and re-sells, so I can do the same", it's not the same thing. Most manufacturers of products sell their products through their wholesale sales divisions (working as a distributor, not selling to the public) only to authorized retailers. While the stores don't advertize that they're authorized distributors in the same way that Avon or Arbonne reps will, the same types of exclusivity contracts exist so that the product manufacturers still have a say over how the products are placed, advertized, etc. Selling outside of these contracts is often forbidden (think of when no name products declare that they are "Manufactured exclusively for Loblaws Corporation"). If you've ever shopped at a P&G warehouse sale for example, your receipt likely states, along with all the "no exchanges and refunds" language, that "Resale of merchandise/products purchased at this sale is forbidden" - at least that's what it used to say when they did this at the truckload sales in my hometown.

If people are doing this as a money-maker, they also should be registered with a business licence or vendor's permit and be charging either provincial sales taxes or HST depending on how much they earn per year in gross revenues. Their gross sales need to be declared as income, sales taxes need to be remitted, and income taxes paid on the income. If those conditions are satisfied, and you are selling things which are not covered by some sort of exclusivity contract for resale, then it's legal.

But, as an aside to my arguments above, buying personal care products at a yard sale, in my humble opinion, is just more than a little bit gross. There are too many possibilities for the product to be expired, recalled, tampered with in some way, or to be a fake/forgery like the ones you see at flea markets. Just my two cents, but I'll stick to going to the 'usual suspect' big retailers for my deodorant, shampoo, and similar products.
    us as couponers are all doing it as a money maker. Orerages fr Walmart,, and our savings to spend on something else. NO difference.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    ...I will give you this 75 cents off beans for that book etc.
    Sold!!

~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

My opinion about all of this is that there a far few jelous people out there worrying about too much of what another is doing,instead of worrying about themselves. The less you know of other peoples buisiness the better.
    I dont really care what others do with their items.
    I only worry about what i do with mine.
    It really dont matter what you do or say it will not change what a person is doing just because someone else dont agree.
    Too much judging.,
    I am pretty sure that just because someone is selling their coupon items is not the reason why coupon wording is changing etc.
    I find that no matter how couponing is done with wordoing or what not some will always be unhappy about it.
    MillieH and sharkie like this.

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

I agree there is to much judging..lol...who really cares is someone makes a little extra money....maybe their family has fallen on hard times and they need money quick....I love my stockpile but if I ever desperatley needed money I would sell a few things.....I paid the gas to go purchase the items.....Also I would sooner see somone have a garage sale to help provide for their family than going to Welfare and further increasing my taxes.....One other thing that should be mentioned is many people on here trade gift cards for coupons...I was also wondering if they claim the income from the gift cards and it is doubtful they have a vendor's permit to sell the coupons....Oh and did I mention that it is illegal to sell coupons, even for gift cards...so lets not judge people with out knowing their circumstances....
    Last edited by sharkie; Wed, Jun 6th, 2012 at 03:56 AM.
    michigan803 likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information