• 1 Post By VeeVee
  • 1 Post By Natalka
  • 3 Post By walkonby
  • 1 Post By ninna
  • 2 Post By Midnightly
  • 1 Post By eco-chic
  • 2 Post By Zia_Stephie
  • 2 Post By harbie

Thread: Too many mushrooms!! Need ideas!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ok...so DH went a tad bit nuts at NF's. Last week they had their button mushrooms on for $1 and I bought a whack of 'em. This week, they are on sale (again) and DH decided it was time to stock up. Honest to god, I'm gonna look like a mushroom soon.

It will really irritate me if these stupid things go bad (cuz then what's the point of a sale?) so I am determined to use them up one way or another. My problem? I need ideas for things to cook. Nothing too complicated or fancy and something that will use them up in larger quantities if possible.

So far we've made:

a large pot of lentil and mushroom soup. (tasty as always)

Deep fried battered mushrooms. omg. Super tasty but cannot possibly be good for me to eat en masse!

Veggie kabobs with a whole lot of mushrooms (and green peppers which were also on sale last week) *snickers*

and homemade mushroom soup is on the list for DH to make...but I cannot stand mushroom soup so I will be skipping that meal or hoping he cooks it on a night when I am working late. LOL.

What are your favorite ways to use mushrooms? (preferably in voluminous quantities!)
    This thread is currently associated with: No Frills
    walkonby likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

cant you blanch them and freeze them for pastas etc?
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i make this yummy side dish. well, yummy to me! haha

i have had it on the side with eggs, and on the side at dinner.

just lots of sliced mushrooms, diced zucchini, and salt and pepper and a little dillweed. sauteed for a few minutes til everything is browned a bit.

i seriously love it, and i kinda get bored of zucchini sometimes.

i put sliced mushrooms in my chilli, along with diced bell pepper and celery. i love that the veggies add some extra flavour.
    ninna likes this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Blessed with 4 children
    Trading Score
    347 (100%)

ninna likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Saute them, arrange them flat on a baking sheet to freeze, then seal in a freezer bag, works pretty well. I don't find freezing raw ones works well.

Toss them in a bowl with a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and garlic then bake on parchment paper in the oven until all their water evaporates and they shrivel up. For that matter, bake sliced ones that way instead of sauteing, don't bother with the vinegar and garlic if you just want plain old mushrooms. Easier and less mess than frying them up in a pan.
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I would personally slice and sautée them in salted butter and chopped garlic and eat them just like that, lol!
    But from experience, they're also very good on some toasted french bread (like a mushroom bruchetta) or just mixed in with plain pasta noodles or even in an Alfredo or red sauce. Putting them in an omelet would be nice, paired with other veg like red peppers, onions and spinach. With goat cheese maybe? YUM.
    Put some (warm) on top of a salad along with caramelized onions with a nice balsamic dressing!

Seriously...they'll be gone!
    Last edited by janetta; Tue, Jun 5th, 2012 at 10:46 PM.
    anisa, ninna and walkonby like this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

claires mommy too! <3 gracesmommy's Avatar
    Trading Score
    392 (100%)

mmm i love mushrooms. my favourite way is usually on the bbq in a tinfoil pkg with sliced onions, butter, s&p, balsamic vinegar and a bit of olive oil. so heavenly.
    ninna and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

mushroom and cheese omelet?
    fajitas with mushroom yumers!
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I've loved that they have been on here for $1/pack as well the last few weeks, and I've been using four a week!

For extras to freeze, you MUST cook them first. What I did was slice them and sautee them lightly, cooled, then put into ziplocks - about the portions I would use for a stew, casserole, etc.
    I haven't done them whole like Zonny suggested, but I might just try that!
    ninna likes this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

everyone above^^ said it all just right ninna. I love shrooms too, but I resisted overbuying because DD hates them.
    I just might try that sauteeing, bagging and freezing thing though.
    I use them on pizza, in stir fry's, DH eats them raw in his salad. So many ways to enjoy mushrooms. Oh and considered FREE on my diet, so long as when I saute them I am not doing it in any fat. No Salt Chicken broth ( just enough to keep them from burning or sticking.)
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Jun 5th, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Natalka, gracesmommy and ninna like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Perfect! Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if one could freeze mushrooms fresh and whole without jeopardizing the quality of them and I'm quite fussy about fresh mushrooms even. For me they have to be solid white and firm or I'm not interested in them. I find the flavour too "earthy" if they are allowed to start going brown. Mushrooms don't rank high on my list of priority foods, but they certainly are on DH's.

I love sauteed mushrooms though. yum yum. I think I will definitely try sauteeing some and freezing them for later use. And I feel like smacking myself on the forehead and saying *DOH* because I often do tinfoil veggies on the BBQ in summer time...so why not mushrooms too! Stir fry, omelettes, and mushroom tart...all great suggestions as well!

great ideas everyone! Thanks again! I feel invigorated to cook mushrooms again!!
    gracesmommy likes this.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

when i end up with wayy too many (clearance deal) i will cook them up with a bit of tomato sauce and freeze a large bag.. then at a later date do up a spagettii/lasagna sauce when i have more freezer space with them
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Mmm i love mushrooms! A few ideas:
    - sautee them with onions and red/yellow pepper with a little bit of olive oil. And eat them like that! I love dipping bread in the oil after since it tastes like a nice mushroom-onion bread dip.
    - i love making these mushroom tarts as appetizers; they were a hit at my last get together with friends: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipe...E4B940697F927B
    - and for dinner you can make this amazing mushroom chicken skillet: http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipe...E4B940697F927B
    - other than this, i tend to use mushrooms in pastas, with stir fry, or sautee them with onions as a topping for meat.
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

Make up a huge batch of homemade pasta sauce and instead of having meat, chop up all the mushrooms and use them instead. I often make large batches and freeze it off into meal sized servings.
    Zia_Stephie really wants you as my swagbucks referral...PM me and I'll send you the link. Thanks!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

DH and I loooove the shrooms..... wait a sec.... I meant MUSHrooms! lol

I love to do the usual pasta, kabobs, stirfrys but I also stuff them: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mouth-w...ms/Detail.aspx

I love sauteeing them with garlic and EVOO and adding them minced to meatloaf(Mmmm it helps keep it super moist)

There is also:

Mushroom Paté : Chop an onion and about 400g of Mushrooms. Melt 75g of butter in a large frying pan and cook the onion and mushrooms gently to soften. Pour in 5 tbsp of dry sherry and cook until all the liquid has evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and leave to cool. Tip into a food processor and drizzle in another 75g of melted butter. Spoon into a bowl and chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with savoury biscuits or melba toast.

Warm Salad with Sauteed Mushrooms : Prepare a bowl of exotic lettuce leaves (the ones in the pre-mixed bags). Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry a sliced shallot till soft. Add a handful of wild mushrooms, quartered and torn, as necessary and fry for a few minutes. Add 1 tbsp of tarragon vinegar, salt and pepper and a few chopped fresh tarragon leaves. Fry another 10 seconds or so then pile onto the salad leaves and serve immediately.

Mushroom pasta (not a red sauce) : http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/...mushroom-pasta

Chicken and mushroom Duxelles: http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/...hroom-duxelles

Mushroom pizzas made in the mushroom:http://www.prevention.com/food/cook/...ushroom-pizzas
    *although this would be better with bigger ones than buttons

Thread Information