User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Rude adults to teens! arrrrg!

Trading Score
    16 (94%)

It seems every time I send my teens into a store to pick up items with coupons, there is always a problem. My girls are older teens and know their stuff, but they are treated like little idiots!!! Case in point, FPC on Perfect 10. The were only allowed to redeem one. When they protested and wanted to show them the terms, they were ignored completely!!!!

I have seen the same thing with the elderly. Its like the bad cashiers that just don't feel like doing extra work, they think that a teenager/kid or an elderly person won't put up a stink. It makes me angry because I know if I was getting my stuff last night, there would not have been a problem.

....................ok. my blood pressure is back to normal now!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    matrix82, walkonby and Shwa Girl like this.
    if at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you...

Shameless Reps FTW krysta lynne's Avatar
    Trading Score
    22 (100%)

i think people tend to look down on teens a lot, but really, these kids are growing up really fast in a very accelerated society. they deserve more credit and deserve to have their voices heard.
    Feel free to use my shop.ca referral link! Tons of products and great deals! http://www.shop.ca?plcktb=ZwVwXmoC0

Trading Score
    141 (100%)

i have also seen higher management treat some "student employees" reallllllyyy poorly. When reedeming some fpc last week, the cashier didn't know what to do and called for a supervisor. An older management lady came out of the office and treated her soooo poorly infront of us... wife was so close to say something about it.
    etherealone likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, society is getting worse to young adults and teens.. I went into a store the other day and there was a employee waiting at the door telling young people to leave their bags at the front door.. yet adults got to go through no problem. I told her hell no I am an adult (21) and will not be bullied around with that crap.
    Last edited by Snow Queen; Thu, Jun 7th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Sorry your girls had problems. However, even me - I only do one FPC of one kind when I shop, just in case. Same with when I send my son shopping - he's been doing shopping with coupons since he got his driver's license (yup, any excuse to use the car then!). He's had very little trouble - none based on his age - the same probably would have happened had it been me.
    hollyquaiscer and Eva-M like this.

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

Thats sad .. and the worst part is that some teen start behaving rudly to them and then is the teen's fault .. teens learn from all the adult actions sooo how do we expect them to respect everyone when they are not being respected?

Sorry this happen to your girls !
    Happy Shopping !!

Trading Score
    16 (94%)

thanks for the great comments everyone!
    if at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you...

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

I remember being a teen and having the suspicion of those who thought I was a "troublemaker" cast down on me. This thread sure strikes a chord with me. The intergenerational treatment that I see in all directions (adults to teens, teens to adults, adults to seniors, etc.) so often seems to contain elements of bullying, rudeness and power struggles. Really, there's no need for any of it and it just makes me sad. I was raised with many older adults as neighbours and have always respected my elders and generally gotten the same treatment in return... why can't everyone just treat one another with the respect that we all deserve??

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I'm sorry to hear that your girls have problems often, when the try and use coupons. I agree, that young folks deserve the same respect that is giving to more mature adults when they are shopping. If they have given the staff a reason for concern, thats one thing, but just to underminde their intentions because they are young is not right.

I sometimes get my feeling hurt is I am using coupons and the cashier will look at me and say "Oh, you must be confused......you cannot use that coupon today?????" WT????? Just because I'm (I'll say over 50, lol) doesn't mean I'm an idiot! I am pretty sure I know how to use my coupons!
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just did a mystery shop report where the cashier totally ignored me during my entire transaction because she was so busy yelling at the four students who came into her store with backpacks. She did not do any of the up-selling or other things she was supposed to do with me. I even wrote how uncomfortable I felt in the store due to her rude behaviour toward these young people. Needless to say, this was not a good mystery shop report for her.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I remember feeling very self-conscious in stores when I was 17-21 and in university. I felt that employees were watching me closely and following me. I didn't feel good about being a "student"... I felt the world looked down on me for being one! I guess it didn't help that I worked summers and part time at a private country club where members were very concerned with "status"! After having worked there for some time, some of the members seemed to like me... when I was quitting because school was starting I was going to be doing a practicum as part of my final year of education, they seemed to think that I had suddenly decided to go back to school to "better myself". "Ohhh... good for you.... going back to school is a good idea!"

I remember members of the board of governors lamenting the fact that they couldn't find "loyal" staff to return every season for a decade or more. "After all," one of them said, "what do we pay them, $5.00 an hour?" They didn't seem to realize that most of the staff was in university! I guess, to him, people should aspire to $5.00 an hour for the rest of their careers for the privilege of serving the well-off? Minimum wage was something like $6.50 at the time, so he was really out of touch!

I work with high school students, and I definitely see that more students have jobs and confidence than when I was in school. I think that most would stand up for themselves if challenged about a coupon!
    Eva-M and xox2010 like this.

Junior Canuck couponlovingcanuck's Avatar
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I am 22 and I still sometimes get rolled eyes when I coupon! Cashiers think just because i'm younger I don't know how to use coupons properly! Its so irritating! A couple weeks ago I was at WM buying the Always Radiant tampons/pads. It was really busy so I went to CS desk...literally they had 3 employees reviewing my coupons because they thought I was scamming them or something! One top of that the cashier asked if she takes the whole $3 off the $2.97 tampons. The older supervisor says "I don't want to be unfortunately we have to" HOW RUDE!

Rocky! Rocky! Rah Rah Rah c_mcarthur's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Queen View Post
    Yes, society is getting worse to young adults and teens.. I went into a store the other day and there was a employee waiting at the door telling young people to leave their bags at the front door.. yet adults got to go through no problem. I told her hell no I am an adult (21) and will not be bullied around with that crap.
    I flippin hate that! and to boot ive seen signs on the front of doors of stores that say '' all students must leave bags at front''
    I've deliberately taken my bag in with me and whenever i was asked to leave my bag, Id say no, to assume all young people steal is AGEISM and id continue walking on.
    so flippin rude! Theres gotta be a rule against that isnt there?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    245 (100%)

I noticed this a number of times with my kids. What particularly bothers me is when my (or another) teenager is waiting to be served and was clearly there for several minutes before an adult walked up. Some cashiers will completely ignore them and turn to the adult 'late-comer' as if the younger person didn't exist. Completely rude and inconsiderate. Some store staff don't have a clue that teenagers often have more disposable income than their parents! And even if they don't, it's still unacceptable.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Safeway manager treated me like a criminal because of my age. I feel your pain. Straight to HO it goes for situations like that, that's not acceptable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information