• 1 Post By Lucky777s
  • 1 Post By marstec
  • 2 Post By Speckled28
  • 1 Post By SavenRaven

Thread: LIVID at my former workplace. People are so two faced it makes me sick

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I had an amazing job that I loved. Got laid off because new owners came in and slashed the staff. They threw me a party and told me how great I was, and how sad they were to see me go, and wrote me glowing references on LinkedIn that are public for anyone who Googles me to see.

Today they hired someone else to fill my old job. AND NEVER OFFERED IT BACK TO ME. Holy high heavens I am MAD!

This had to be in the works for a while, right? Who hires someone out of the blue like that? Thank god I found a new job where they really seem to value me

People are two faced #$@%^&
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's just awful.Thank goodness you got that new job.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Did they know you were employed somewhere else?

If you are really curious and have a good relationship with them, ask them why.
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

How did you get a new ob so quickly? Did you have this job and were going to quit the old one? I'm confused????? It is very obvious that they must have interviewed for your position prior to letting you go unless they're a reckless company that hires anybody, and in that case, you are so better off at a new job.

Sometimes things happen for a reason, and for you, being appreciated at your new job wil be like a breath of fresh air compared to the old job. I know how mad them doing something like this can be. Do you have any recoarse? Were you in a union?

I wish you the best of luck at your new job.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

How long did you work there? Did they pay you a severance package? Did they terminate you or lay you off? Was it long term lay off or short term? Did you receive written notice? Did you have a union at your old job?

There are several steps that have to take place when an employee is being laid off or terminated. I don't understand why your former company would throw you a party and give you great reviews when you were just being laid off? This seems a bit confusing to me. Obviously they had other things in mind when they laid you off.

Last and foremost. I'm sorry you lost a job that was amazing and you loved.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I've worked at major companies where they'd lay off someone who had been there for 15 years + and the next day their job was posted on the company's website. They want to save money. It's brutal and it happens everyday.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Believe me, I have been there.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They probably hired someone at a cheaper price, knowing you wouldn't work for cheaper than before..
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I'm wondering if they hired a student? They are at a lower pay rate, therefore it would be economical to hire them over you. Of course I am making all kinds of assumptions here but you have mentioned in the past that you are married so I'm guessing not a student.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Just learned today that they did replace my job with a student on a 2 month contract, and pay her much less. I know they are going to keep extending that contract after 2 months until the money runs out so they're going to do this to her eventually too. Because that is how so many jobs are nowadays.

I was unemployed for 8 months and had to take a job in a completely different industry to stay afloat!!!! Luckily, it's permanent. So far it's working out but I don't like it as much as I did the old one. I had been offered a 2 month contract at my old work's competitor but turned it down and went for greener pastures at this job,. No one turns down a contract at that competitor.

But I did it anyway because how can anybody be expected to live their life like this? We couldn't get a mortgage and we couldn't afford even thinking about having kids and we did not have the honeymoon we dreamed about because of the money.

I had been working in my industry for 5 years since graduation, at 5 different jobs. They were all like this.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off. I worked there for two years on verbal promises of work. No contract, no union. One day they just said "we no longer have the money to keep you here. We are so sorry we have to let you go."

Such is the job reality nowadays. People will tell you how great you are, then kick you out on your a**.

It makes me extremely angry when people call young people today "lazy." I have a Masters Degree, worked unpaid overtime all the time and went back to work the Tuesday after our wedding last year. Didn't get to go on our modest honeymoon at all until I was kicked out 3 months later. In the past five years, I've taken about 4 weeks off from work. One was to accept an award in a different city, one was to have dental surgery. Does this sound lazy to you? Hard work is never rewarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky777s View Post
    I'm wondering if they hired a student? They are at a lower pay rate, therefore it would be economical to hire them over you. Of course I am making all kinds of assumptions here but you have mentioned in the past that you are married so I'm guessing not a student.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sat, Jun 9th, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Just learned today that they did replace my job with a student on a 2 month contract, and pay her much less. I know they are going to keep extending that contract after 2 months until the money runs out so they're going to do this to her eventually too. Because that is how so many jobs are nowadays.

I was unemployed for 8 months and had to take a job in a completely different industry to stay afloat!!!! Luckily, it's permanent. So far it's working out but I don't like it as much as I did the old one. I had been offered a 2 month contract at my old work's competitor but turned it down and went for greener pastures at this job,. No one turns down a contract at that competitor.

But I did it anyway because how can anybody be expected to live their life like this? We couldn't get a mortgage and we couldn't afford even thinking about having kids and we did not have the honeymoon we dreamed about because of the money.

I had been working in my industry for 5 years since graduation, at 5 different jobs. They were all like this.

This kind of stuff really pisses me off. I worked there for two years on verbal promises of work. No contract, no union. One day they just said "we no longer have the money to keep you here. We are so sorry we have to let you go."

Such is the job reality nowadays. People will tell you how great you are, then kick you out on your a**.

It makes me extremely angry when people call young people today "lazy." I have a Masters Degree, worked unpaid overtime all the time and went back to work the Tuesday after our wedding last year. Didn't get to go on our modest honeymoon at all until I was kicked out 3 months later. In the past five years, I've taken about 4 weeks off from work. One was to accept an award in a different city, one was to have dental surgery. Does this sound lazy to you? Hard work is never rewarded.
    I had a friend who worked contract to contract...it was very stressful for her, so I can understand why you wouldn't go that route. It's too bad that some employers only see the cost factor rather than take into consideration the talent and work ethic of their employees. I really think there are good employers out there, so don't give up. I'm glad you went out and did well for yourself; try not to think too much of your other job, they don't deserve you.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

My father got laid off last year after working at the same job for roughly 20 years. They told him it was a shortage of work......but really they were just keeping the only other employee who got paid substantially less. About 7 months later my dad got another job.....but he was damn lucky at 57.....and in this economy. It's so sad when employers want loyal and hard working employees....and then treat them so poorly in return

Trading Score
    424 (100%)

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'd be more than a little ticked off too!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

It's really sad that this is what the job market has come to in the east. One of my dd's was thinking of going east to be closer to my family and work there. I had to ask her if she was crazy. I told her the job market there was not great. It's terrible that employers treat employee's like that. In the West, we have employers that will bring you out, pay your housing costs and sign contracts for $$$$$$ just to get qualified help that want to say with the company. When I think about it, I now realize why I moved west some 45 years ago.

I feel so very sorry for you OP, after all that education, one would think that a company would b e proud to have you and treat you with the respect you deserve. This makes my heart break, you deserve so much better than this.
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Mon, Jun 11th, 2012 at 09:35 AM. Reason: spelling
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Thread Information