I <3 SmartCanucks. Momof3girlies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    58 (100%)

I LOVE her hair .. oooh la la !
    leymi15 and Candini like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Doesn't bother me, she has nice hair. It's a stupid name though.
    GoJays and thriftygranny like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I saw this in the Loblaws flyer and it didn't really seem to register. I did notice how good her hair looks though but I barely noticed that she was naked. But given the name of the product, I don't see anything wrong with this ad. I have seen much worse and ones with horrible innuendos.

I've always found it interesting that people get more offended by nakedness and sex than they do with violence. I'm talking about shows and movies that have a ton of violence (especially graphic violence) that no one seems to comment on, but the minute that someone (albeit, usually a woman) gets naked or sex is implied, it's all people talk about. The issue I have with the use of naked or nearly naked women in advertising is that it's often unnecessary to the product. You don't shower with clothes on (unless your a Never Nude) so having a woman who is naked and no "bits" are overtly showing does not seem bothersome to me.

The real problem is the over sexualization of women. CrazyQT asked "Why do people always assume nakedness = sexual?" I'd say its because we have been conditioned to believe that when women get naked, something sexual is going to be involved. The oversexualization of women's breasts has caused us to forget what they're actually there for. Not something sexual but for providing nourishment to the tiny being that they just brought into this world. That story about a breast feeding mother being asked to leave a Victoria Secret store highlighted the issue that women's breasts are automatically considered sexual while men's are not. I agree that advertising is a problem to people (both male and female, young and old) as it creates unrealistic expectations but in this case, the only unrealistic expectation that I have from this ad is that my hair will look that good if I use this shampoo.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I am going to have to agree with some of the others here. I see nothing wrong with the add, hardly even noticed she was naked, the focus for me was the hair in this add and that's what my eye was automatically drawn to.

I am kinda tired of everybody being offended by everything though

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I am past the point where a model in the ad could persuade me to buy the product. I can understand some parents feel concern about their children seeing the ad. But The Bay, Sears, ect often has underwear ads and it's worse than this.

Back to the product, it's called naked because it does not contain dyes, paraben ect (think Naked grape wine)...but it's still a marketing fail since it will still be loaded with fragrance and sillicone and other preservative.
    luckbealady likes this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lyssia510 View Post
    As someone who suffers from a eating disorder I don't find this add offensive at all and really don't see how this add is promoting a unhealthy body image. You can't even see her body, you see shoulders and a side boob. The ads in the mall( American Eagle, Arie, Aeropostale, Pink and any lingerie store to name a few) are way more damaging in terms of promoting an unhealthy body image than this ad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You know that's exactly what I was thinking. I think it's H&M with the incredibly thin, androgynous, very young looking models - saw those ads all the time at bus stops. Those ads gave me the creeps.

This ad I find rather natural - the female looks healthy (although I imagine that's in part to photo-shop and air brushing) and there's nothing particularly scandalizing showing.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Wed, Jan 21st, 2015 at 08:00 AM.

2 tired 2 b creative here CanadianCouponCollector's Avatar
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    When I was in my 20's a friend of mine moved into into what was basically a seniors complex.

His neighbour was a creeky old guy with a van whose interior was entirely papered with pictures of women in underwear taken from the Sears catalogue.

Kinda funny, kinda sad.

She's got the sort of mature look you see on hair colour boxes, a flat chest, and man hands. Face it, she's no Kate Upton.

I don't think she'd even make the van.
    Bahahaha!! I laughed so hard at that I choked on nothing!!
    lecale likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyQT View Post
    We live in a province where topless women are allowed in public without repercussion. . Why do people always assume nakedness = sexual? There are lots of countries where women are allowed and it's the norm for women to be topless at all times. It's all in how you perceive it. I am all for women's equality and rights. If I want to walk to Tim Horton's with no shirt on it does not mean I am being sexual it means I am exercising a right. (not that I ever would )
    On the whole, modesty as a social norm is an intereasting construct.

In some places, the sight of a burkha clad woman causes men to stop and stare at her in a sexual manner. in other places a bikini clad babe is just part of the scenery..

I was reading a blog post about American missionaries in Africa who were disturbed at the way the local women had next to nothing on the breast and upper body area, and so to set a good and Godly example, the femsale missionaries wore shirts with elbow length sleeves but were uncomfortable because the men were still ogling and cat-calling them.

One of the local women eventually told them that the skirts and shorts they wore, rode up and showed thier knees and that meant that the menfolk were imaging what was above the knees which lead to improper thoughts which was why the local ladies wore mid-calf to ankle length skirts. Because the local protoco; for modesty was boobs equals baby feeding...upper legs is naughty..
    anisa, nainai0585 and Anna Michele like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie-Eager To Learn!
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The point of advertising is to get people talking, and look at this, now I know they have a new shampoo line, I would't have known otherwise. Looks like their marketing team did a fantastic job!
    anisa and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke_ View Post
    The point of advertising is to get people talking, and look at this, now I know they have a new shampoo line, I would't have known otherwise. Looks like their marketing team did a fantastic job!
    that may be true but i'm still not going to buy it... so do they win or lose?
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Because the local protoco; for modesty was boobs equals baby feeding...upper legs is naughty..
    I believe I saw a documentary that said the same thing, that in some areas of the world, men don't oogle breasts because that is what a baby does when it wants to be fed. When the local women were told that men see breasts as sexual in North America, they howled in laughter.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    652 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GracieAnne View Post
    I believe I saw a documentary that said the same thing, that in some areas of the world, men don't oogle breasts because that is what a baby does when it wants to be fed. When the local women were told that men see breasts as sexual in North America, they howled in laughter.
    I think Men & Woman bodies are all natural, if you live around beachs, you have costume to see people without T-shirts or just bikini or even without bikini, so, for me is Natural the human body, I usually live in CanCun years ago and there is Natural people enjoying the sun and beach and breeze laying on the sand. Without think just in Sex... thinking just in enjoy the time on the beautiful beach ........
    Anna Michele likes this.
    TL & WL : http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/399761-...hicken-canada/

LF $4 Genie Diaper REfill, $5,$10,$15 of any Similac or a Similac Mom, $5 Glucerna,

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I wonder why they even came up with the "NAKED" shampoo line, maybe the words CLEAR or SEE THROUGH shampoo is boring perhaps even tasteless?

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I see nothing wrong with this, she's not overly thin for one, the name of the product for another.. you don't see anything and well nudity is a natural thing to being human..
    leymi15 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information