• 1 Post By sun_shine
  • 2 Post By Midnightly
  • 1 Post By luckbealady
  • 3 Post By Minou

Thread: "World's toughest job" ad.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

There's an advert for a job..in Rehtom ( worked for Alucrad!)..no pay, long hours, and people applied...The agency recorded the interviews and.horrorified responces until the (un)surprise. twist....it's for a Mom.....puppies and rainbows...

Cut to my private FB feed, family and RL friends...

So true...

That's true..

I do that all the time..

no sleep...

standing all the time

no personal time

yadda, yadda, yadda...

Hello Ladies....you have just spent 2 hours plus on your butt humblebragging your a$$es off....

until your beloved offpring come home and then

"OH have to feed them!"

"can't help them with thier math homework...they have to show the workings and I can only do that kind of sum using a calculator"

"Oh I wish they were in bed so I can have some ME time"...

I hate this ad..But more importantly I dislike the way that some mothers are using it as a way to show that they are a combination of Mary Poppins, Gordon Ramsey, Hawkeye Pierce and Miss Jean Brodie rather than a parent who is actively involved in parenting thier children.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    SFARAZ likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    67 (100%)

Oh I'm so with you on this one. Although I imagine it's going to turn into a heated discussion pretty quickly lol.

It irritates me to no end that there's this whole 'woe is me' attitude lately about being a mom and doing mom things. Sure, it's hard sometimes but I feel like it's greatly exaggerated in ads like these and certain Facebook posts/shares.

The way I see it is if you choose to have children then don't complain about all the extra responsibility it encompasses. A little venting here and there is totally acceptable especially when it's been a hard day but if you're going to act like you're so hard done by because you have kids then maybe you shouldn't have had them lol.

I think a lot of it has to do with some Stay at Home Moms feeling like they need their 'job' to be appreciated by others in order to feel respect and validation.

In my opinion, the only people you should be seeking validation from that you're a great mother are your children.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious what all the hype is about SWAGBUCKS? It's the b
    est online program ever! Send me a message if you have any questions or want to learn more.
    Join here:
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/kylesmamma

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I just finished watching an episode of 16 & Pregnant and found myself yelling at my laptop lol. The girl was complaining that it is so hard to take care of a baby "all by herself". She got pregnant by a guy an hour after she met him (well, that was when the 'act' took place) and apparently expected to have the whole world chipping in to help her. I also remember watching my sister and her ex always fighting because he didn't help much with the kids when they were babies. He worked full time and was a full time student while all she was doing was staying home with the kids. I feel that it's good to have a discussion and form realistic expectations of what will happen when you have kids. For example, my fiancé and I aren't even planning to start a family soon and I already know that when we do he won't wake up at night with the baby (he doesn't hear anything when he's sleeping), will likely not change too many diapers (I work in a daycare and change toddlers' diapers every day; I don't mind) and likely won't want to do a whole lot for the first few months. Does that mean he won't be willing to help me out once in a while if I really need a bit of down time? Absolutely not; but knowing to not expect much should make it easier when the time comes.

Anyway, back to the point; yes, moms do a lot for their children. It is part of being a mother. There are also mothers who don't step up to care for their kids, and many fathers, grandparents, or other relatives who step in to provide this same care when the mother can't/won't.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i think parenting is all about what you put into it.. agree with kyles_mama, about some of those posts on facebook and the pics just make it look like to be a mother you should be up for sainthood because you have given up everything just because you have kids, that people should bend over backwards for you because hey "you have kids".. but i don't see it that way... there are some hard points yes, there are struggles, but you spend time with your kid you learn what makes your kid tick and you find a balance with parenting, sanity, and everything else

i don't see spending time with my kid as a battle, honestly i don't see parenting as "the worlds toughest job" or "the worlds most under-appreciated job" i made a choice to become a parent and with it comes sacrifices, comes late nights.. but it's not always negative things (you get to do many fun things with a kid, and you get to relive your childhood with them by introducing them to things you grew up with)

(and glad to know i'm not the only one who watches 16 and pregnant.. i'll admit i feel sad for these girls sometimes.. they get pregnant and think the world is going to be magically perfect the boyfriend is going to stay with them and everything is going to work out.. only to find that 6 weeks later he's often dating someone else, rarely comes around, and it's near impossible to pick up where you left off with your friends and school)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    (and glad to know i'm not the only one who watches 16 and pregnant.. i'll admit i feel sad for these girls sometimes.. they get pregnant and think the world is going to be magically perfect the boyfriend is going to stay with them and everything is going to work out.. only to find that 6 weeks later he's often dating someone else, rarely comes around, and it's near impossible to pick up where you left off with your friends and school)
    I used to feel bad for them, but now they're on the 5th season; if the girls haven't figured out after watching 4 seasons that there are no rainbows or butterflies, it is their own fault. Maybe I'm a cynic; some of them do try to be responsible and prevent pregnancy, but at this point I think some of them do it on purpose to get on TV.
    Candini likes this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sun_shine View Post
    I used to feel bad for them, but now they're on the 5th season; if the girls haven't figured out after watching 4 seasons that there are no rainbows or butterflies, it is their own fault. Maybe I'm a cynic; some of them do try to be responsible and prevent pregnancy, but at this point I think some of them do it on purpose to get on TV.

some had openly admitted they got pregnant to get on TV and for the attention.. but i read something recently (one of those wonderful statistic reports) where the places in the states where the show is very popular.. teen pregnancy rates have gone down so i think the show is effecting some people.. there will always be teen pregnancy (that will never end) but i think the show does show some aspects... it's sad when you look back at the people from the first few seasons (who's kids are now a few years old) there has been multiple arrests (one spent significant time behind bars) there has been drug and alcohol abuse, one of them is doing everything to try and stay in the public eye (sex tape,line of sex toys, trying to write a parenting book)

some have walked away fine.. but parenting is no rainbows and butterflies, there are sleepless nights, there's days where you feel useless to help, there are battles of will and anger but parenting isn't just the negatives

and i gotta say.. kids are not scapegoat.. i've met too many parents who use their kids as an excuse for just about everything and it drives me crazy when parents blame the kids (the "well i have kids" excuse) for everything
    Last edited by Midnightly; Thu, Apr 17th, 2014 at 04:49 PM.
    Angela273 and Candini like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I don't mind this ad in the sense that it is a good reminder to be thankful for everything your mom/mom-like substitute has done for you. I do think we as kids tend to take for granted everything our parents (not just moms) do for us.

That being said - I too get tired of the "Being a mom is the toughest job there is!" mantra. I can't completely understand the concept, because I never want to have kids (don't get me started on all those people that say I'll change my mind - I'll be 30 in a few years, and if anything my desire NOT to have offspring has grown). I imagine being a soldier in active duty is pretty tough. I imagine being a fire fighter (who are also often on call 24/7) is pretty tough. Frankly, there are a lot of jobs that are much tougher than being a mom - and even if those jobs do pay, I bet many of them don't pay enough considering the actual risk (and sometimes backlash) that they take on.
    My grandmother got married at 16, and had her first child only 3 months later - her second child a little over a year later (4 children altogether). Was it tough? Absolutely! Did she do it? Yep, just fine - without spending her days complaining about how easy my grandpa had it, going to work all day and then coming home to a home cooked meal - and my grandparents just celebrated their 60th anniversary this past December.
    I've never heard my grandparents, or my own parents (married 32 years with 2 kids), lament like it seems women do nowadays. They never talked about all the tough work it was. Because to them, BEING A PARENT IS NOT A JOB. It is life. It's not always fun, it's not always easy - but neither is just existing. Being alive is not always fun, and it's not always easy. I do lots of things for others, for free, that there are actual jobs for. It's called living - you do what you do not for the accolades, but because it is the person you are.

But something that really bugged me - I'm a person who watches the background, and the Asian looking woman, and the bald man had the same background. Also, all backgrounds seemed incredibly neat to the point of sterile (with the exception of the man with headphones) - so I wonder just how "real" this is.
    sun_shine likes this.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I'm just checking in before going to bed, and boy, am I tired. Made Easter dinner for 12 yesterday and was at work today. Have two little kids who were grumpy and tired today after being up later than usual last night and then being up at 6 am to go to daycare. Tired of having to do my marking and preparation for classes between 8 and 11 pm and having to get up around 5 am to get ready for another round. Honestly, I feel like I work two jobs, and I kind of vibrate inwardly when I hear a single person without children talk about being "busy" or "exhausted" when they don't actually seem to be doing much at all! (And it drives me a bit crazy to have to take on extra work in the evenings that some of these people are too "busy" and "exhausted" to do when it's a task we're both supposed to be working on.) I'm sure not looking for accolades, luckbealady, but I'd have to describe what I'm doing right now as "surviving" rather than really living. I'm just clinging to the idea that things are going to get easier as the kids get older!

That's it. I'm going to bed!

Thread Information