User Tag List

Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree2503Likes

Thread: Target leaving Canada!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Reminder, use up those Target gift cards & store credit quickly!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Place was always empty.
    High prices.
    Huge expectations and they fell short.
    It was only a matter of time.

The average home is already stretched pretty thin, so how can anyone justify playing that much more for the same product. Customer service is great, but not at inflated prices.

I feel bad for the staff that will be out of jobs, but Target did not listen to the consumer base.

Walmart is king now. (very scary) Even less competition.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

17,600 is huge job losses . Plus most retail stores have laid off their seasonal/holiday workers in the last few weeks or so.

Most of them ( retail seasonal workers ) are let go on Dec. 31 or the first week of Jan. They still keep them for a few days after X'Mas for Boxing Day sales and to deal with the return/exchange of all the holiday gifts . After they have finished using them, they are kicked out.

So these folks are also out there looking for jobs..in addition to the now 17,600 Target guys. Don't see how the industry can absorb so many of them
    toronto166 likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

If they go the way of receivership don't expect the sales to be that good. They start at full retail and then 20% off like they did with Zellers and it took weeks and weeks to get to 90%. Better to start stalking the stores now for deals.
    lecale, Koolaid, hijinx25 and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    228 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    If they go the way of receivership don't expect the sales to be that good. They start at full retail and then 20% off like they did with Zellers and it took weeks and weeks to get to 90%. Better to start stalking the stores now for deals.
    Darn, I was hoping there would be more of a clearance since I would have to drive about an hour to get to the closest store.

I guess it is not a surprise since they were not competitively priced with Walmart, Superstore and such. Still, they should have given it five years, especially after renovating so many stores, hiring all that staff and such.
    Join Beyond the Rack here and get a $10 credit!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's really sad to know that all these canadian people will lose their jobs. It was not their fault that the shelves were empty or other stuff. I am sad for all our fellows losing jobs and i feel so guilty to say that i am thinking about all the deals we are goibg to get on clearance.

Trading Score
    80 (100%)

Yeah I doubt liquidation will be very good at all.. The sale prices there are likely less than what liquidation will look like.. The target closest to me has about 10 old zellers employees - so this is their second layoff in as many years really -
    Patty Smyth and Anna Michele like this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

So sad to hear it! I was hoping that the new Management would turn this around for them. I have learned to really like Target and have become so weary of Walmart but there it is, the strong will survive. With scop, flip, checkout 51, not to mention SC's the consumer will always look after their own dollar first. And why not? But remember this is why part time is the new normal, union wages are becoming history and the rich just get richer. I look for the best bang for my buck too but there will always be a consequence somewhere down the road. I hope somewhere down the road we get some relief from Walmart. Bring on some tougher competition please!!!!!!!!!

Trading Score
    34 (100%)

Looks like Liquidation king will be very well stocked! They always have Target stuff.
    lecale and toronto166 like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    OMG!! I totally forgot that I have 2 GC's to use there!! thanks for the reminder
    Quote Originally Posted by rockco View Post
    Reminder, use up those Target gift cards & store credit quickly!

you know what rocko.....Done and Done! I was out early doing some other errands, drove the extra distance to reach Target and after careful consideration I used my entire $50.00 in GC's on Tassimo discs........... ......now for some that might seem to be a waste of GC's but for DH it is a staple around here.....lol!!!
    aussie, Decaf, momgoneawol and 4 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

What I don't understand is people that don't shop at Target because they claim "Target" in the US is cheaper. The last few times I went to Target in the US I found that the same items I bought here were less expensive than the US store or the same price so with the exchange again less expensive. I am going to Target in the US on the weekend and will be checking out the prices on the luggage items that are currently at 70% off here. I am pretty sure the prices here will be better. I say tomorrow we should all go to Walmart unwashed and wearing our pajamas carrying signs saying" Unwillingly WERE BACK :-("
    Silk, coupondiva, lecale and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^Agree I'll be trying to shop at Giant Tiger as WM needs competition. Heard Sony is closing its stores here too, just announced today, more jobs lost.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Thu, Jan 15th, 2015 at 02:06 PM.
    TooCouponCrazy likes this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I loved Target it was my go to place and when I lived in Hamilton I stopped shopping at Walmart and went only to Target. I guess I better use my GC this weekend.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Won't be hard to liquidate their stores considering their shelves are half empty at the best of times. I think their supply chain was the big problem in Canada.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

this is so upsetting..mostly b/c my nephew will be out of a job. i have saved alot of money at target....will really miss them. what will become of the stores now?
    torontogal12 and toronto166 like this.

Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread Information