User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree251Likes

Thread: It's Crazy to me...

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I find it Fascinating and a little crazy that since joining Shoppers Optimum back in June 2014, I've earned over 1,300,000 points. Now that in itself seems crazy, but that's not what gets me...

What blows me away is, every once in awhile I'm reminded by the cashiers that I'm the only one they know of that comes in and pre-loads the Gift Cards, and plan's his shops, and always rings up just over the amounts required. How can that be? How can so many people just be so unaware of the ridiculous amount of savings on sale items that can be had while at the same time earning fistful of cash back in the form of points? It's insane. Even the people that work there just don't fully appreciate what they could accomplish, and one cashier told me they get a 30% discounts (imagine that discount combined with points promotions and coupons... my good lord it's better then a senior on senior's day. ).

Sometimes I wonder are they even making money on me? for instance, 2 weeks ago I went into the store 3 times purchasing only sale items for a total of about 230 bucks with the "Savings" of a equal value of 230 bucks while earning about 190 dollars back in points. Which basically boils down to an Egg costing me just over 8 cents each. Crazy really, just plain crazy. Maybe I'm a bad person?

But then I realize, it's people like us.... That generate more interest in shoppers, We are shopper's little soldiers generating interest and new shoppers to feed the commercial beast. Unfortunately many of these shoppers just don't quite get how to work the system, and it's the hapless every day member of the heard that allows the more savvy of us to reap these incredible benefits. I know for a fact, I've helped turn a few friends and co-workers to the herd. So In a way I think I earned my massive savings. So I'm going for it!

Still though, in a city of over 100000 people.... Can I really be the most insane of all Shopper Shopaholics locally? Maybe I am?...

This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    dizzyb, ticul, angel_2011 and 17 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Have you ever thought about working there part-time? Or maybe making really good friends with a cashier? It's a whole new meaning to the phrase "friends with benefits"!

Edit: Please don't anyone take that seriously. I only meant it lightheartedly.
    Last edited by sweet sparrow; Wed, Mar 18th, 2015 at 07:47 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think the same thing every time I go into SDM, I look around and people have their carts full and the cashiers asks, " Do you have an optimum card?, and they usually say , "No!!".. The cashier usually points to me and says, "is it worth it to have a card?".. They all know me and they usually say that I know more about shoppers than they do!! I'm like you poobah, I can't believe that even the workers don't take advantage of the deals.. My SDM has an amazing clearance section and items are usually $1.00-$2.00, and I always wonder why the employees don't buy them!! Anyways, more for us!! My only fear is that one day this program will change,now that Loblaws owns it!!

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Have you ever thought about working there part-time? Or maybe making really good friends with a cashier? It's a whole new meaning to the phrase "friends with benefits"!

haha, that is a great idea. I did something similar: my friend worked in a natural rock/gem shop, and she got a 30% discount, and me being a major fan of natural rocks at the time would give her a shopping list to bring into work for me, often.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post

Ahah...

Yes, In fact I have paused to consider such a thing... I've definitely been warm and friendly to the cashier's, but I don't think my wife would approve of going to the lengths of friendliness required to entice one of these fine ladies to entertain such an idea.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@Poobah and the rest of the savy SDM regulars....THANKS! I'm completely new to the Optimum program and honestly, I could never justify spending my hard earned money in there. Everything to me seemed waaaaaaaaaay overpriced. But slowly I'm learning things from many of you and for that, I am grateful. Keep on marching soldier!!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    I think the same thing every time I go into SDM, I look around and people have their carts full and the cashiers asks, " Do you have an optimum card?, and they usually say , "No!!".. The cashier usually points to me and says, "is it worth it to have a card?".. They all know me and they usually say that I know more about shoppers than they do!! I'm like you poobah, I can't believe that even the workers don't take advantage of the deals.. My SDM has an amazing clearance section and items are usually $1.00-$2.00, and I always wonder why the employees don't buy them!! Anyways, more for us!! My only fear is that one day this program will change,now that Loblaws owns it!!
    I also worry about Lablaws... but then I wonder if the Optimum point buzz is one of the main reasons the store is doing as well as it appears to be doing? And they wouldn't want to hurt a good thing would they? But yea, I'm worried for sure.
    Mich649, amira84 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

1,300,000 in under a year? thats incredible!! good job!
    Mich649, amira84 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's crazy to me that I only started reaping the benefits of shopping at SDM this year!! I have been dabbling in coupons for a few years, but have only recently discovered the true value of the Optimum program! I managed to do 2 full $200 redemptions in February's Beauty Redemption!

I started keeping track of savings and points accumulations at SDM for 2015, and so far I am up over $600 free items, in 3 short months!! This doesn't include coupons freebies, or coupon+Cashback freebies, this is just redemptions and gifts with purchases!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by wahiariis View Post
    It's crazy to me that I only started reaping the benefits of shopping at SDM this year!! I have been dabbling in coupons for a few years, but have only recently discovered the true value of the Optimum program! I managed to do 2 full $200 redemptions in February's Beauty Redemption!

I started keeping track of savings and points accumulations at SDM for 2015, and so far I am up over $600 free items, in 3 short months!! This doesn't include coupons freebies, or coupon+Cashback freebies, this is just redemptions and gifts with purchases!
    I know right.. You don't even have to work hard at it... Shoppers provide the sale prices, the promotions and the personalized coupons right to your email. All you gota do is shop, more or less. If you do have the fortitude and time required to also use Manufacturer coupon's etc, well more power to you.

Congrats on your earnings thus far.
    amira84, toronto166 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

It is definitely crazy that everyone doesn't take advantage but to be honest I only really started to build my points rapidly with these personalized coupons. I never have the $ to do big $75 + shops. I think if these personalized get preloaded each week it will net alot more people points as many don't have printers or time to check K and load each week.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never see people buy gift cards either, but I do remember a few years ago cashiers commenting on the number of shoppers gift cards being bought the day before a 20x day, so I know there are a number of us.

What surprises me is how few people I see use emailed coupons and although I do know they are being used, most people in line aren't using any. I think the majority of their shoppers still come in for quick necessities and buy the loss leaders (milk, eggs and the promos for the week).

The Itunes promo weekend by the way was huge for my local store. The staff told me it brought in loads of non-optimum customers so I would expect that we will see that promo again.
    amira84, toronto166 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I do add manufacturer coupons as well, just to keep some change in my pocket, but with the personalized offers, bonus promotions etc, one could shop just this and still accumulate points!!

I find it funny how some people are so resistant to using a coupon, all the while I'm thinking, ok chap, hand over your grocery list and the cash you would normally spend....but I'll keep the change! Lol

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    126 (100%)

I started collecting about 3or4 yrs ago and my only wish is that I could go back to my baby days and pay even a little bit of attention to what I paid for diapers etc. oh the money I could have saved!!!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jennrav View Post
    I started collecting about 3or4 yrs ago and my only wish is that I could go back to my baby days and pay even a little bit of attention to what I paid for diapers etc. oh the money I could have saved!!!
    I thought the same thing..but when my kids were little there were no promotions or points around they had the odd coupon but nothing to write home to mom about!!
    i'm certainly making up for it now!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information