User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: No perfume allowed! Perfume free zone!

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Candini.....perhaps it's not fair for me to post this link, but the more you read about the "natural" ingredients, you'll find some UN-natural surprises...sorry, Hon....

http://ecoyogini.blogspot.ca/2009/03...chemicals.html

https://ruralaspirations.wordpress.c...-shampoo-bars/
    *sigh*
    Andit and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    *sigh*

Andit, Candini and thriftygranny like this.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I too have a problem with some scents...not severe and I would never tell people not to wear them. The worst for me is the air freshener and laundry aisles. I just walk by them and my chest starts to tighten. The only store that doesn`t bother me is Bath and Bodyworks. Theirs is the only scented body wash and lotion I can use.
    Andit, Lynn49, barbis9 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    I too have a problem with some scents...not severe and I would never tell people not to wear them. The worst for me is the air freshener and laundry aisles. I just walk by them and my chest starts to tighten. The only store that doesn`t bother me is Bath and Bodyworks. Theirs is the only scented body wash and lotion I can use.
    How strange we individuals are! I can't walk down the lawn fertilizer aisle in Costco...the scents tickle my throat to coughing madly! Whenever anyone in the neighbourhood is fertilizing I can tell very quickly and shut all the windows. The same when my hubby is using fertilizer; I stay indoors.
    Andit, Crochetlady and barbis9 like this.

Luv Saving People Money MortgageQueen's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Same thing for me Lynn.

The sad fact of the matter is all those fertilizers and pesticides get into the water supply. . . then there's the gazillion gallons of chlorine they add to it. So wonder we don't all glow in the dark.
    Andit, Crochetlady, Lynn49 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    Same thing for me Lynn.

The sad fact of the matter is all those fertilizers and pesticides get into the water supply. . . then there's the gazillion gallons of chlorine they add to it. So wonder we don't all glow in the dark.
    Oh, that's coming, MQ! It's shhhh..."the plan"...when we lose all generating power generally or through planned blackouts, light will have to come from SOMEWHERE!! I think it's a republican plot.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MortgageQueen View Post
    l love conversations like this!! It gives one such a great sample of multiple opinions. Thanks OP and all who commented.
    That's one of the reasons I LOOOVE SC! 99% of the folks on here can agree to disagree with no hurt feelings and respect for other opinions.

Oh, that's coming, MQ! It's shhhh..."the plan"...when we lose all generating power generally or through planned blackouts, light will have to come from SOMEWHERE!! I think it's a republican plot.
    Yep, the republicans brainwashed the Dems in California to put in row upon row of wind turbines that only work part time and led to the brownouts. They also convinced the Ontario Liberals to destroy our generating power.

Unfortunately, this will decimate local wildlife populations (the brown-nose bat will likely soon be extinct ).
    Last edited by Andit; Mon, May 4th, 2015 at 09:48 AM.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    7 (100%)

"Is anyone wearing perfume here?", and another gal says, "Oh. It might be me...I have a scented moisturizer on..."...."I'm having trouble breathing.....but (sighs), it's fine.......(sighs)..."

This would be me in another context.I am one of those people who has become horribly sensitized to a multitude of chemicals,including many used to manufacture scented products.I was cautioned by my allergist to avoid "anything" I found uncomfortable many years ago,as exposure would likely lead to further,more severe reactions.This was while I was being investigated for an extreme,sudden incident(collapsed @work) that lead to lasting neurological side effects.I was investigated for a stroke (numb on one side of body,speech difficulties,vision issues) brain tumor (same as previous) heart attack (also chest pain,irregular heart beat,wildly fluctuating blood pressure,and low oxygen saturation).WELL-it turns out I have complex migraines triggered by the various allergies I've developed in the last 10 years or so.Of course,I'm surrounded by triggers,and people just don't get it,since they think I'm making a big deal out of it if I say anything.
    I have sucked it up,stuffing myself full of drugs and whispering my way through work (trying to avoid breathing whatever) more times than I can count.I take a preventative medication my pharmacy has to special order every day,plus an otc allergy med.Sometimes it isn't enough,and I will ask if anyone has anything scented on,and try to avoid that person.If I'm breathing shallowly around someone and speaking quietly (which requires less air) it's because I'm trying to minimize exposure to something that's getting to me.And yes,I will ask if it's you,it's not an act of drama or entitlement,it's so I can protect myself.
    I really,really wish I hadn't opened this thread,it just made me feel terrible about something I have no control over,and opened my eyes to how little compassion people have for those with invisible illnesses.
    May none of you ever experience progression of your "sniffles" to the extent I have,it only gets worse and you get treated like crap if you dare say a word about it.
    dq14, Crochetlady and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

@secheltsaver

I think voicing your concerns are important for empathy. Knowledge is power. So is timing and tone. The person who reported me never spoke to me. I had no idea how severe her allergy was and given the details of the report I highly doubt any reaction came from me. While it is my right to use whatever soap I wish to wash and launder, I do take her needs into consideration as it is something she cannot control. It is also her right to avoid people who may trigger a headache. No matter what way you slice it scent is personal. It is a hard issue. That being said, my daughter has Celiac and is in JK, we do not expect her room to be gluten free. Education allows her to be gluten safe in these types of environments.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Sechelesaver, it's terribly unfortunate that you have to go through life and endure your intolerance of scents...they're everywhere. I was at a dinner party a few months ago and met a gal who has to wear a mask every time she goes out in public...a plastic one, almost like a very small gas mask...but she was so friendly and sociable and said her alternative would have been to change the world and she wasn't up to doing that. Unfortunately, gals like the one in our class has never made a peep before about fragrance and as soon as she had her say, her "breathing problem" evidently disappeared almost immediately. People like her spoil it for others who have real problems: it's people like HER I direct my comments to...to some people a sniffle is supposed to generate a turning of the world on it's axis. Those of us who have been in class with her for weeks, wearing light scents, have never been a problem...and I certainly didn't detect ANY scent in class that day.
    We all have our crosses to bear...some immensely worse than others...but whiners who are just attention seekers like her are just intolerable.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Wed, May 6th, 2015 at 07:24 PM.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I completely understand both sides of this. I love my scented body lotions because I can't wear perfumes as my skin is super sensitive. But at the same time, I've been on the receiving end of strong scents that cause migraines and my throat to feel tight. I have serious problems with my sinuses and find I can be very sensitive to some scents like perfumes or smoke. I don't try to ask people to change what they're doing but sometimes it smells like the scent is coming out of their pores. As someone already mentioned, if you wear a scent often, you can become used to the scent and would then require more of it.

I have some very strong smelling scents from bath and body works but I also have subtle scents, which are the ones I have at work. I have my own office that isn't visited often so I'm not super concerned about it affecting anyone and I've even had compliments on the scent. Ideally if someone has an issue with someone's perfume they would politely speak to the person about it. A coworker used a scented body lotion for months without comment or complaint from anyone. One day she gets pulled into her supervisor's office to discuss the scent she uses as someone complained. My coworker was very upset that the person who complained didn't just speak to her but went to her manager without trying to resolve the problem first.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by secheltsaver View Post
    "Is anyone wearing perfume here?", and another gal says, "Oh. It might be me...I have a scented moisturizer on..."...."I'm having trouble breathing.....but (sighs), it's fine.......(sighs)..."

This would be me in another context.I am one of those people who has become horribly sensitized to a multitude of chemicals,including many used to manufacture scented products.I was cautioned by my allergist to avoid "anything" I found uncomfortable many years ago,as exposure would likely lead to further,more severe reactions.This was while I was being investigated for an extreme,sudden incident(collapsed @work) that lead to lasting neurological side effects.I was investigated for a stroke (numb on one side of body,speech difficulties,vision issues) brain tumor (same as previous) heart attack (also chest pain,irregular heart beat,wildly fluctuating blood pressure,and low oxygen saturation).WELL-it turns out I have complex migraines triggered by the various allergies I've developed in the last 10 years or so.Of course,I'm surrounded by triggers,and people just don't get it,since they think I'm making a big deal out of it if I say anything.
    I have sucked it up,stuffing myself full of drugs and whispering my way through work (trying to avoid breathing whatever) more times than I can count.I take a preventative medication my pharmacy has to special order every day,plus an otc allergy med.Sometimes it isn't enough,and I will ask if anyone has anything scented on,and try to avoid that person.If I'm breathing shallowly around someone and speaking quietly (which requires less air) it's because I'm trying to minimize exposure to something that's getting to me.And yes,I will ask if it's you,it's not an act of drama or entitlement,it's so I can protect myself.
    I really,really wish I hadn't opened this thread,it just made me feel terrible about something I have no control over,and opened my eyes to how little compassion people have for those with invisible illnesses.
    May none of you ever experience progression of your "sniffles" to the extent I have,it only gets worse and you get treated like crap if you dare say a word about it.
    Don't apologize.

There are too many chemicals in our environment and the wish to make products cheaper has resulted in god knows what being added into our products. I too never had allergies growing up but now I can smell things a mile away. We are being bombarded with fragrance everywhere it's no wonder people are having problems.

I can't tolerate many aerosol sprays, room fresheners as my chest starts to constrict and I need to use an inhaler. My allergist said lots of people are getting sick from the chemical overload. Everything is scented these days - laundry detergent, fabric softener, most personal care products, etc.
    Crochetlady, Lynn49 and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Don't apologize.

There are too many chemicals in our environment and the wish to make products cheaper has resulted in god knows what being added into our products. I too never had allergies growing up but now I can smell things a mile away. We are being bombarded with fragrance everywhere it's no wonder people are having problems.

I can't tolerate many aerosol sprays, room fresheners as my chest starts to constrict and I need to use an inhaler. My allergist said lots of people are getting sick from the chemical overload. Everything is scented these days - laundry detergent, fabric softener, most personal care products, etc.
    What I find scary regarding aerosol sprays, if you look on ingredients a lot of the items are just numbers, " sc johnson mix 45-a47 " That could be anything! My aunt recently introduced me to this detox/cleanse program called isagenix I think? It's crazy the amount of things make you "toxic"
    Crochetlady and barbis9 like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    What I find scary regarding aerosol sprays, if you look on ingredients a lot of the items are just numbers, " sc johnson mix 45-a47 " That could be anything! My aunt recently introduced me to this detox/cleanse program called isagenix I think? It's crazy the amount of things make you "toxic"
    I see that between your aunt and my scary posts that you're getting bombarded by messages about how we're contributing to our own illnesses.. I advise everyone to stop buying those toxic "smellies" ... Glade, Airwick, SCJohnson...anything that isn't natural and toxic-chemical-free. If we think we have breathing problems now...just wait until those kids who've been exposed to those poisons develop very serious breathing problems! I know it's a stretch of course, but spraying toxins around the house, burning poisonous candles and plugging in chemicals around babies and young children should be outlawed as child abuse...yes, a stretch, I know....I get it, but it's just not contributing to their breathing problems, but nerve and brain damage to kids who trust us to care for their health. Jmho, of course...but it's something I feel very strongly about.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I see that between your aunt and my scary posts that you're getting bombarded by messages about how we're contributing to our own illnesses.. I advise everyone to stop buying those toxic "smellies" ... Glade, Airwick, SCJohnson...anything that isn't natural and toxic-chemical-free. If we think we have breathing problems now...just wait until those kids who've been exposed to those poisons develop very serious breathing problems! I know it's a stretch of course, but spraying toxins around the house, burning poisonous candles and plugging in chemicals around babies and young children should be outlawed as child abuse...yes, a stretch, I know....I get it, but it's just not contributing to their breathing problems, but nerve and brain damage to kids who trust us to care for their health. Jmho, of course...but it's something I feel very strongly about.
    I agree! ( unhealthy for sure! ) Why oh why are there umpteen B1G2 coupons and tons of sales, and rebates for these types of products around?
    When I am being paid to carry these things home it is very tempting to spray a tad near the litter box every once in a while, but I have gone for so long without the smellies and it just makes me suspicious that their products are offered constantly at discounts??
    Lynn49, barbis9 and Shwa Girl like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information