User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Dealing with the frathouse neighbours

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Friends, I am writing this groggy post in hopes you have suggestions.

Some new neighbours moved into the apartment next door a few months ago. It is a very young couple (I'd say 22, 23 years old). They never say hello back or smile back. They actually frown or scowl in return. I think they are just generally not nice people.

They play loud music all the time. One time at 3 a.m. Security came to make them stop, but the loud music starts as early as 7 a.m (which is legal). They also play Xbox often which would be no big did if they didn't scream bloody murder every time they scored points in the game. Like, someone just stabbed you, loud curdling screams.

Me and DH work later shifts so we always are awaken by their ridiculous behaviour.

DH works from home and has conference calls with people in California and he is worried the people on the other line can hear the noise, which makes him look like the unprofessional one.

I would politely ask the neighbours to keep the noise down, but they seem to be frowny faced brats who don't want to talk to anyone. And my experience has been that when you respectfully ask someone to turn it down, they will turn it up out of spite (this happened to me when I was at Uni. These people are about the same age).

Does anyone have experience dealing with this? We can't really file a complaint because since the 3 a.m. incident, they seem to keep the music loud enough that we can hear it through our walls, but not loud enough that you can hear it in the hallway. Security can't really do anything if they don't hear the music themselves.

Signed,

TorontogalZzzzzzz
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, Ciel, cath007 and 2 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'd write down the dates and times. If you are having issues with them I bet your other neighbours are too?
    ROMEO, frugallegemom, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

As hard as you feel it might be, I think you do have to go talk with the neighbours about it.
    Over and over, if need be.

Also, I don't know how your apt building works with security as opposed to a building manager - but I'd start a paper trail, and give written complaints.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Ugh it never ends for you eh, this seems to be an ongoing issue with the younger people.
    I was told that it doesn`t matter WHAT time it is during the day, ANY noise irritation (ie barking dogs, loud music, etc etc) is not allowed. Disturbing the peace, if you will.

I would contact your super. If nothing is done, contact a bylaw officer.

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Yup, bylaw officer needs a call.
    I had a neighbour who banged on a pot lid with a wooden spoon to get all the neighbourhood dog barking then call the bylaw officer and complain.
    I had been keeping a log of my dog's times outdoors. When they saw this they dropped the issue as I had records and he did not so they believed me.
    ROMEO, frugallegemom, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It won't surprise me if the neighbours (*****) are going to maximize the proximity of festivals this summer to get away with their loud activity. Agree that you make a log of the sound issues next door and give bylaw officers a call prior to July.

Is there anything in the building rules about reasonable sound levels in units? I think a small baby crying through illness might get some leeway from other tenants/owners but not self-absorbed gamers without adequate sound insulation in their walls/flooring/ceiling. Have you tried to talk to the tenants above and below those neighbours?

DH-he has a legitimate worry as phones can have up to a 75ft pickup range...does he use Noisli.com for background sound when he has to work online? I find out about the site a few months ago and it takes the edge off being in public Internet areas with loud phone users inside labs. Only one person using a phone for a conversation even attempted to acknowledge his chat might have impacted other users in the space...

If you have any parent friends not using their white noise machines for their kids, ask to borrow it to see if it helps (you don't want to be using a phone or computer in your bedroom because the blue screen impacts your body's sleep signals).
    Last edited by Ciel; Wed, Jun 10th, 2015 at 02:44 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I'm sorry you are going through this! My suggestion was to talk to them, the landlord, not only log when this happens but record the noise with the date and time..I was going to suggest to blare your music at 6:00 am but you said they already do it at 7:00...if you don't get help from the city etc..when it's quite I would use cow bells, or blow horns..something that would startle them if they were sleeping. My husband and I are thinking of downsizing, and my biggest fear is getting neighbours like this...we live in a beautiful, friendly and quite neighbourhood for 25 years and if this happened to me I would probably appear on Dateline!! Ha,ha,ha..

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

OP, maybe boil cabbage at 6 AM and put a fan so it wafts into the vent leading to their place

just kidding

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My heart goes out to you. This sounds like pure Hell. So sorry you're having to go through this.
    ROMEO, Ciel, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I've never really experienced on-going annoying neighbours. We did have a bunch of students in the townhouse beside us when DD was a newborn. They had a huge party one night and DH finally had to go over at 2am and ask them to either be quieter or take it downstairs because DD was upstairs sleeping (sharing the upstairs wall). DH kept apologizing to them saying he knew what it was like to be asked to be quiet and that he hated to be the one asking but DD needs sleep. They were super nice and did both. The next day they gave DH a 24 of beer that was left over as an apology. Apparently they were celebrating end of year and they were moving out the next day anyway.

If you don't feel like you can go over and make friends and suggest they tone it down a bit then I agree with other posters who suggested to make a log. In our city there's no specific time lines for excessive noise, you can make a complaint at any time of the day/night if the noise is excessive or causing disruption.

Hope you get it sorted out.
    ROMEO, Momof3girlies, Ciel and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Thanks everyone. I will keep a log

Our landlord is useless because she is in Hong Kong. Building management is only open during business hours (you know, when people are working, so can't deal with you...)

Like a decent human being I want to talk to them, but like I said, they never say hello back or even bother to make eye contact when frowning at us so I don't think that will help at all. Hopefully now that the school year is over they will take a hike but I think their parents must be paying rent in this building (you couldn't afford it as students)
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Maybe you have a peer who can speak Cantonese or Mandarin to let the neighbours/landlord what's been done is not conducive to condo living. HK is 12h ahead of us, so Skype or some way of emailing the landlord would help.
    +10 on your comment about business hours only office...it's 2015, not 1815!
    ROMEO likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I personally think you should speak to them, just be nice and friendly, and tell them that you/hubby work offshift and the music is making it difficult.

You don't need to go over there assuming their spoiled noisy brats, and demand that they turn off their music bc that will not go over well. Try to talk to them in the hallway or something, ask them which game they play because "it sounds like you guys have a lot of fun", tell them that you like video games but you work offshift and it's hard to sleep with all that excitement next door and you would appreciate if they 'turned it down a notch'.

Either they will turn it down (would be good), do nothing (same situation) or turn it up (invest in earplugs).

My boyfriend and his roommates (also in their 20s), might come off the way that your neighbors do because they throw parties and play games and play music all the time. Once someone came by and complained to them about the noise. Ended up with an apology from them because they didn't know it would be such a big deal that you could hear it next door, since it was a Saturday night. Anyways, don't assume these young people are just miserable evil-doers, be nice and talk to them.
    Natalka likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I actually speak Mandarin myself. It's not the language that's the problem, it's getting her to bother replying to me. LOL on 1815 hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Maybe you have a peer who can speak Cantonese or Mandarin to let the neighbours/landlord what's been done is not conducive to condo living. HK is 12h ahead of us, so Skype or some way of emailing the landlord would help.
    +10 on your comment about business hours only office...it's 2015, not 1815!
    @emdoug It's not their age that lis the problem. I just think they are not nice people since they have ignored me or given me dirty looks every other time I've tried to say hello to them.
    Durham Couponer likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have you called 311 to lodge a complaint for bylaw? They will give you a tracking # so you can follow up if you need to.
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Join the Ajax Coupon Group: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/119179048289492/

Use Instacart for free credit towards your order! Earn cash in a flexible part time job! Referral code KRISTAJ961A3 https://shoppers.instacart.com/?refe...upply_referral

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information