User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: Dealing with the frathouse neighbours

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    I haven't slept in 2 days. Saturday, ass hat blasted music all night. Sunday I had a wedding.

NOW I AM TRYING TO NAP AND HIS DAMN MUSIC IS PLAYING
    This won't fully work if his music has a lot of bass, but have you considered earplugs? The wax type, the foam ones are next to useless. I'm a very light sleeper with a house full of people so I use them quite often.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Toronto Star (in Monday's paper?) had an article indicating public input on survey regarding sound levels/noise was being sought until August 6. http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015...-headache.html

Survey link! http://cityoftoronto.fluidsurveys.com/s/noisesurvey/

Earlier survey this year on City of Toronto site-feedback:
    http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/co...0071d60f89RCRD
    @torontogal12 , you have to chime in about the issues you've been having in high-density building-the rules have to reflect the modern City life situations in all residential scenarios.
    macw1960 and torontogal12 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live smack-dab in the middle of what is (insensitively at best) referred to as a "student ghetto."

Ridiculous behaviour, like you said, describes it perfectly:

- Music, all hours of the day and night
    - Partying every weekend, and if there's an "event," such as homecoming, it's even more brutal
    - Stomping around the communal areas / stairs, slamming doors
    - Trashing the laundry room
    - Singing badly, loudly, off-key, inexplicably, endlessly
    - Smashing glass booze bottles in the driveway, sidewalk, and the street out front
    - Running around the hallways like it's a McDonald's PlayPlace, shrieking like parentless banshees

When I asked them to stop one day at about 3 a.m. it wasn't because anybody was sleeping, but rather, because I wanted some peace. I am not a stodgy type of person -- dressed in black leather with wild-ass hair -- so I don't even notice *a bit* of noise. It's the cacophonous migraine fodder that gets to me. I asked them to keep it down, just a bit, and was told, via shriek, that it was "HOMECOMING! WOO!" and, "It's gonna be worse tomorrow!" I said, "So I should shoot myself in the head TODAY, is what you're saying?" and my lovely neighbour said only, "Yep!"

In my city, the noise by-law is such that any unreasonable noise, at ANY time of day, not just late at night, is simply not allowed. I was able to email the property management company, and they emailed the offenders, essentially threatening to evict them. Didn't even have to call the by-law officers! After that, we received a note on our door from one of the non-offending roommates, apologizing for the noise, and supplying his cellular telephone number for me to use when upstairs got too loud. I used it just the other night to text him that his roommates sounded like intoxicated gorillas tasting freedom for the very first time, and he immediately quieted them down.

The best part of this all? They aren't even directly above us! They're two floors up, and we can still hear their racket! It's just coconuts.

Also: lolololo @ "frowny faced brats," that really sums up a lot of these kids perfectly!

I hope you've had some luck since time of posting, that either they moved out, or lost their tongues in a Jager bomb accident, and their stereo system was either stolen or urinated on to the point of inoperable drench levels. Or maybe they, and this is the least likely of all, grew the frick up and learned some sense of consideration for others!

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Friends, I am writing this groggy post in hopes you have suggestions.

Some new neighbours moved into the apartment next door a few months ago. It is a very young couple (I'd say 22, 23 years old). They never say hello back or smile back. They actually frown or scowl in return. I think they are just generally not nice people.

They play loud music all the time. One time at 3 a.m. Security came to make them stop, but the loud music starts as early as 7 a.m (which is legal). They also play Xbox often which would be no big did if they didn't scream bloody murder every time they scored points in the game. Like, someone just stabbed you, loud curdling screams.

Me and DH work later shifts so we always are awaken by their ridiculous behaviour.

DH works from home and has conference calls with people in California and he is worried the people on the other line can hear the noise, which makes him look like the unprofessional one.

I would politely ask the neighbours to keep the noise down, but they seem to be frowny faced brats who don't want to talk to anyone. And my experience has been that when you respectfully ask someone to turn it down, they will turn it up out of spite (this happened to me when I was at Uni. These people are about the same age).

Does anyone have experience dealing with this? We can't really file a complaint because since the 3 a.m. incident, they seem to keep the music loud enough that we can hear it through our walls, but not loud enough that you can hear it in the hallway. Security can't really do anything if they don't hear the music themselves.

Signed,

TorontogalZzzzzzz
    Last edited by bullet tooth; Wed, Mar 23rd, 2016 at 11:41 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

my heart goes out to those that have to put up with this BS... Ive Been there....done that.
    Tweets77, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i feel your pain.. i've lived in the same place for 12 years! and in the last 4ish months a hipster moved in next door and blasts his jazz constantly (i swear my photos on the wall have shifted from the vibrations) he also plays the electric guitar and the sax VERY badly (it almost sounds like he regularly has band practice in his unit) and a new young guy bought the suite above us and he's a very loud gamer and loves the music and having friends over at all hours of the night getting drunk and stoned tons of banging around cheering it sounds like he drops bowling balls on the floor, i miss the quiet! if it could move i would.. but it's pretty much impossible
    Ciel, macw1960 and bullet tooth like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Last night a different frat house had a party until 5 am

I caught them in the hall this morn with a keg

I told them that they need to keep their parties down.

They told me to F off.

Worst part is that security guards keep no records and Said their party ended at midnight??!

Parties from these upstairs guys at least once a month. Last one was in January when I had a friend visiting from out of town and she complained

What happens if I run into these dudes again? Now I'm scared to walk into my own building. Try to be a decent human and address the problem without calling cops and the dudes get nasty

All because I've put up with it for months and God forbid I say something

Worst part is that this is now a pricey place to live. We're locked into cheaper rent because we've been here a while but how do these new people afford to live here? Why don't they go to the student ghetto? If this is the kind of crowd we get in an expensive neighbourhood, where are we supposed to go
    Last edited by torontogal12; Sun, Feb 28th, 2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Ciel, GoJays, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

Maybe Daddy foots the bill.

They sound like a bunch of jack*sses. Sorry you have to put up with that. Call the cops next time they get lippy
    Ciel, GoJays, macw1960 and 5 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

They told you to fk off?

Next time, ruin their party by playing louder music in the hall outside their door. Better yet, do something so crazy that they shut their mouth!

I had a neighbour downstair... who used to yell and shout at 12 night and then my bro and I started yelling higher, repeating his exact words. Eventually he stopped! Of course mom and dad was not there so it was easy thing to do rather than confront him hehehe *evil laugh*

*I am really not a good advisor right?*
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Sounds like early morning bagpipe practice is in order.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Personally, I wouldn't retaliate. They know where you live, you never know what could happen. I'm with Candini on this one and I think it's time to bring the police into it. Sounds like security is a joke and doesn't really care what's going on. Perhaps his wallet got a little padding from the fart boys?....... er, frat boys. Freudian slip

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

This all brings back memories of when we lived in a quiet subdivision - good neighbours until one of these neighbour's teens decided to have a party when her parents were on holidays. They whooped it up until 5 am and then the teen went to bed and all was quiet. About 8 am, our neighbour parked his truck infront of her front door and blasted the horn continuously until she came bleery eyed to the door. He said, 'good you're up...after all, you kept the neighbours up all night.' Never had a problem from that teen again.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I like this idea for revenge. However it may get security called on you, not that it sounds like they'd do anything anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnHYKVIbDcs

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I would suggest getting the police involved and also look into it, there is a law or by law that if a tenant has so many complaints against them they can be evicted. I am not 100% sure how it works as our property management company was handling this but we had one unit with renters in it that constantly cause a scene, they would get into fights and screaming matches the whole complex could hear.

We were told to call the police whenever this happens and after 3 complaints the condo board could evict the tenants. We never got that far after 2 calls they moved out.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

I guess I am not a good advisor
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    I would suggest getting the police involved and also look into it, there is a law or by law that if a tenant has so many complaints against them they can be evicted. I am not 100% sure how it works as our property management company was handling this but we had one unit with renters in it that constantly cause a scene, they would get into fights and screaming matches the whole complex could hear.

We were told to call the police whenever this happens and after 3 complaints the condo board could evict the tenants. We never got that far after 2 calls they moved out.
    That's actually what I was hoping would happen but turns out they never kept records of the previous complaints.

Some of the apartments in our building are empty (Hong Kong landlords), or students who leave for weeks at a time so I don't think there's others around to complain too

I'm definitely not going to retaliate. They know where I live.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Mar 2nd, 2016 at 09:04 PM.
    GoJays and SassyAshley like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information