User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Why do people steal from DOLLAR STORES!

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Last Fall, saw two 10 year olds were acting a little suspicious at Dollarama. One was the look out. When I came down the aisle, the other was putting chocolate bars and cans of pop in the front of his baggy jeans. I yelled at him like a crazy person and the look out boy took off. The other one froze and kept apologizing to me. I told hims to put them back.

After he left the store, I talked to an employee. She was not surprised and told me some tried to change the price stickers, thinking that employees don't know the difference.

Today, a guy in his 20s was just about to put two chocolate bars down the front of his sweat pants when I passed by the aisle he was in. I went down the next aisle and ended up near the cash. He was right behind me. He kept walking, right out the store, with the chocolate bars in his pants.

I talked to the employee and she said, And people wonder why the prices go up.

BTW, be careful buying chocolate bars at dollar stores. You don't know where they may have been.
    This thread is currently associated with: Dollarama
    Silk, barbis9, Ciel and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good for you for being such a good citizen, so vigilant!

To answer your question with another question - Why wouldn't people steal from dollar stores? They have good stuff, just like any other store.

The bigger question is - Why do people steal?
    Silk, Ciel, seylz_gurl and 5 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

To answer your question with another question - Why wouldn't people steal from dollar stores? They have good stuff, just like any other store.

The bigger question -- so true
    For the kids, it would be a very bad start.
    For the adult, I was a little afraid knowing he was walking right behind me in the store. I stayed in the store for a while, watching him through the glass, as he walked away in the parking lot.
    Ciel, macw1960 and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Last year I was at Starbucks at the mall, bought my coffee and head to the island to grab a napkin. I saw this lady reach the table the same time at me she carried shopping bags in both hands and reached out to grab 3" of napkins...she did that a few times, each time putting the napkins inside her shopping bags. She didn't buy anything from Starbucks just walk by and saw the opportunity to steal and couldn't resist...I get it...she's thief. BUT the real kicker here is she told her young daughter (around 8 or 9) to do the same thing. I feel sorry for the little girl.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

maybe people do it because they think they won't come after them for a 1$ item? Used to go to a private dollar store and it was a constant battle for the owner over the lunch hour to prevent shoplifting. She finally said no backpacks allowed in the store and had cameras but it eventually closed.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Wed, Feb 17th, 2016 at 07:34 AM.
    Ciel, macw1960, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post

Thrills, no money but want things, attention, spent money on other needs/wants and suddenly food/snacks are desired without paying...does not matter the age.
    I agree with @Decaf about the girl being encouraged to copy her mother's helping herself to stockpiling on napkins-that will boomerang on the youth later in life (record or being kept out of opportunities when her habit gets widely known). Have to wonder how they deal with bathroom tissue needs and other staples at home. Or could this be a brand thing-sometimes status seekers want others to know they go to Starbucks or other stores?
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Feb 19th, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
    macw1960, Decaf, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

People steal from dollar stores for the same reason they steal elsewhere...to resell things. In Hamilton there is a known gum thief...walks out of any store, such as Walmart, dollarama, etc with a buggy full of gum. Used to hit target as well. If you sell a buggy full for a buck a pack at a flea market or wherever then that's pretty lucrative.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

People will steal from anywhere. We had people steal 25 cent items from our garage sale once. I think its the thrill of getting away with it, for some people.

Hope those kids learned their lesson and don't go down that road

These people should really just turn to coupons and learn the thrill of getting things for free LEGALLY
    barbis9, Ciel, GoJays and 7 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    People will steal from anywhere. We had people steal 25 cent items from our garage sale once. I think its the thrill of getting away with it, for some people.

Hope those kids learned their lesson and don't go down that road

These people should really just turn to coupons and learn the thrill of getting things for free LEGALLY
    Lol so true!
    Ciel likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

Ugh, I think you've turned me off of chocolate bars for good now. That's just... ick.
    I've never seen anyone steal out right like that, generally where I live, people just pick it up off the shelf and stuff it in their mouths right away so it isn't uncommon to see empty wrappers in the food isles.
    Ciel, Shwa Girl and Davetherave like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Its so frustrating to see people do those things.

I saw one person not long ago power-walking towards the Walmart exit (from the opposite side of where the checkout line was, so it looked odd). There was a large Rubbermaid tub in her cart. The greeter stopped her before she left, asking for her receipt. She didn't even acknowledge him and just took off without the cart. He pulled a lot of stuff out of the Rubbermaid tote.
    Ciel, Shwa Girl, Candini and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Smart greeter!
    Quote Originally Posted by beckie.c View Post
    Its so frustrating to see people do those things.

I saw one person not long ago power-walking towards the Walmart exit (from the opposite side of where the checkout line was, so it looked odd). There was a large Rubbermaid tub in her cart. The greeter stopped her before she left, asking for her receipt. She didn't even acknowledge him and just took off without the cart. He pulled a lot of stuff out of the Rubbermaid tote.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

People steal for lots of reasons. For kids, could be peer pressure, cheap thrills, perhaps want something and can't afford it

When I was in retail I caught a girl, maybe 17 stealing. Security was called and had to contact her parents. When her dad arrived, he was proud of her and said good job....
    Ciel, GoJays, toronto166 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post
    People steal for lots of reasons. For kids, could be peer pressure, cheap thrills, perhaps want something and can't afford it

When I was in retail I caught a girl, maybe 17 stealing. Security was called and had to contact her parents. When her dad arrived, he was proud of her and said good job....
    I have to wonder what else he encouraged her to put her skills towards.
    toronto166 and Davetherave like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Sounds like someone I used to know where the parent felt the world owed them for various reasons and they had a right to things they could not afford and this is what they taught there children. So I think in some cases it is almost like it is passed down from parent to child and in some cases as wrong as it sounds they do not think anything is wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Candini View Post

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information