User Tag List

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree2504Likes

Thread: March 2017 Frugal Chatter - All Welcome!!!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @sweet sparrow sorry to hear dd1 is hurting herself. Does she a have a stuffed animal to snuggle with and act as a distraction. I wouldn't do as you recommended because that could open a whole new set of problems if people read or hear about it...if you get my drift.

I do feel it's perhaps for attention or for her a copping mechanism, I would talk to your doctor if she continues to do this and I can only imagine how concerning it is.

Can she look at a book before falling asleep/napping to act as a distraction.

Have you asked her why she does it, I know we sometimes look for solutions but perhaps she will answer why, she seems very intelligent from what you've said.

Does she want to be more involved with helping with the baby or perhaps resents the baby?

Good luck
    Agree with @jasperandchar about DD1's situation, @Sweets parrow -she's hurting herself because something is bothering her and maybe she does not know how to say it. Ironicially, this can be seen as a form of self-medication-doing something to block some kind of pain (emotional or otherwise). Does DD1 ever say anything jealous or negative about DD2 in front of you and DH? Is DH aware of DD1's actions? If she has a blanket with a satin binding, see if she finds it soothing to run her nails on the blanket (something I used to do as 5-7yr old) at bedtime. Maybe you have something else that is tactile for her to run her nails on. Keep her nails short or have DH do the nail trimming.

Remember how DD1 used to be able to do whatever on her walks home from daycare with you to bus-she could throw or drop things, have you push her in the stroller, etc. Now she is stuck waiting for you after DD2 has her needs met. She is faced with a competition of attention/time. Is there a possible diversion (friendly neighbour or teen) that could drop in a couple of times per week to give her one on one time?
    Giseledta, Angela273 and barbis9 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Meal plan for the next few days:

Tonight-Homemade burgers with coleslaw and side my honey picks (I put him in charge of that part lol)
    Saturday- Beautiful roast beef with mashed potatoes, gravy, corn and asparagus.
    Sunday- Leftovers since we have an out of town hockey game (will make up Tupperware containers Sat night when cleaning up dinner so we can just heat and eat!)
    Monday- On my own-So leftovers if any left or something simple (egg and toast)
    Tuesday- Thinking pork chops in the slowcooker with rice and green beans

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@Frugalbigmama -yes, it's exciting to do laundry with a repaired washer. I like the top loader without an agitator idea. Our agitator seems to be snagging anything tie or stringlike and wrapping it viselike under the agitator fins, regardless of my knotting drawstrings or such. Machine is going on 21 years old and rust is showing. Still like GE. Might visit a Hamilton appliance store (independent) to see what models are in-store.
    @Angela273 -good plan for the day! Hope you get that nap break later today.

Last night, I went to Eastgate Square after a quick look at pants at Value Village (more pants to see but did not find the one pair). Shoppers' clearance endcap (opposite pharmacy counter) had Purell hand sanitizer pumps with 25% extra. Scanned one at the post (near exterior door cash) and it was $3! Had to get one (reg. bottle retails for $4.49). The Twinings tea assortment boxes are NOT on sale-there were 2 on the shelf-the one scanned at $4-. Ditto the small Jelly Belly bean bags--$3 each (Star Wars and Frozen). So not everything on the shelf is a deal (nevermind trying to see a shelf price tag). The food section had All Bran bars on sale and my beloved orange-cranberry flavour (got two boxes). Would have loved to purchase the $3.49 Coke Life pop but it was too chilly a night to lug 12cans around on buses. Will see if local store might have it. Noticed Coke Zero sugar pop cases but not the Cherry version too at Eastgate store.
    Popped into Fortinos-the Ryvita booklet holder is on the shelf with product but holder was empty. Got my popcorn (I had a points offer) and a sale package of PC Lunch napkins. Noticed a few school supplies in the middle of housewares. Lined paper for 54 cents, report covers, index tabs and one other thing.

Tax talk last night at a library branch-lots of discussion of OAS/CPP. Basically the older you are when you apply, the bigger the monthly amount. The money is indexed (OAS) to inflation. Once your apply for either pension source, you cannot change your mind to a later date. There are tax consequences if you have working income and also receive OAS or CPP-everyone's situation varies.
    Can use RRSP to buy a first house but RRSP can only have contribution money from earned income, not pension income.Speaker teaches at a college too and often students ask him where to put their savings. For new workers, he recommends they save in a TFSA and when the balance is big enough, move it into an RRSP (have to hold it for at least 90 days) then apply to use the balance as downpayment on first home (I know @MortgageQueen has mentioned a form/process that is required before RRSP funds can be used this way or there is a tax hit).

Heard some situations discussed at the talk. Basically, have money to live your lives and goals. I know I need income!

Oh, he also touched on some executor stuff. He and his spouse updated their list of accounts, papers etc and had their family member know where it all is located. He asked us if we have our powers of attorney and our own lists done. One woman says she does the list for herself-it's not for an executor-every year. I don't know who'd I want for my POA. I have many loyalty cards but no investments/cash/assets/credit cards.

Some discussion on RRIFs-for tax planning purposes.

The executor roles and responsibilities talk will be at Ancaster branch in April (before Good Friday) if there is anyone in Hamilton wanting to hear the information and get the booklet that helps you figure out all the papers/information you need to know if you are an executor or have been named as someone's executor. Have to register in advance for the talk.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@mom 0f5boys hope you feel better soon
    @coupon girl continue to take it easy
    @Natalka we consider ourselves to be very luck we have really great kids, we are so blessed

The accountant called our taxes are ready, I will ask dh to pick them up on his way home so I can sign my portion and he will drop off on Monday or maybe tomorrow on our way back from the city.

Ds2 is going to a movie with my mom tomorrow, we're dropping him off in the city.

We'll venture into Costco as it's not a place to send my dh alone (haha). I need some croutons, spices and some other stuff.

Costco fees are going up $5 for normal memberships & $10 for business, geez....

The good & bad news is dh is getting quite a bit back but unfortunately things are in his favour for claiming tax breaks so he get's a bigger refund and well I'm grateful I'm getting a refund but it's less than 1/2 of what I normally get....So I can't set aside $1k for my future trip to China (maybe next year).

My plans for my return now must change and prioritize, I was allotting $1k for china which is not happening and $1k for splurge (wants) not happening either. So I guess I will get 3 trees removed from the cottage, the man we purchased the land from owns a skidder so I'll see how much he'll charge me to pull them up the very steep hill. We could do it but it would most likely take a whole day because we are on a point and it's pretty steep. So he'll have those 3 trees pulled up in less than 1 hour so it's worth it to have a better view of the lake. If there is anything left, I plan on buying enough siding to do the top level of the cottage as we are closing in all the building this spring/summer it would be the perfect time to install the siding since the scaffolding will be up anyways.

I'm so excited for supper tonight (slurp)...

I tell you staying off the computer until 11am or NOON makes a huge difference in what I accomplish. If I don't do the things I need to do in the morning it likely doesn't get done in the afternoon because I get extremely tired.

Yesterday I scrubbed the whole bathroom, I can't wait to redo the bathroom as it's original to the house but 1st we need to install the powder room. The powder room is on hold because the nicer weather is quickly approaching. We have decided to pay to have the millwork made (baseboards/window trim) to match the rest of the house and dh will install, this way all the trim is on in the basement and looks more finished.

I tackled our bedroom today....wiped down the walls, scrubbed the floor, shimmied under the bed (removed the lost socks) and scrubbed the floor.

Wishing everyone a great day & weekend
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Yes I heard that about Costco fees going up this morning too. Guess it was a matter of time. Honestly surprised it hasn't gone up sooner. Some people really abuse their return policy.

Dropped DS off at his friends house at lunch. Won't be picking him up till later tonight. I'm sure he will be hungry for a burger before bed (that kids is always hungry So it means more leftover burgers for the boys for tomorrow and hopefully Sunday!
    Giseledta, Angela273, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Happily shopped in the US today-shirt and nightgown for $17.Then treated my friend for lunch. Spring here with the flowers blooming and the trees budding-a couple of months ahead of home.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

I don't like receiving phone calls from dh's family sometimes. MIL nearly always calls in the middle of the day when Dh is at work, then I receive bad news that I have to pass along to Dh. I have told him of the death of two grandparents. Today I found out that MIL is going to see a cardiologist later this month and her GP was talking about the risks of open heart surgery. She is in her 60s. She is suddenly on 24hr oxygen, having difficulties getting around, experiencing financial problems, and had to move. She lives in Calgary, so it is not easy to visit her. I'll need to tell Dh when he is home tonight. I've decided that I should do up a new envelope of pictures and mail them this weekend.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Mar 3rd, 2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Nope- When my front loader went before this one I vowed never to get another. Top loader HE without the agitator only for this gal. So of course machine alone is around $1000!
    This is what we did based on reviews. We are very happy with ours. It is almost 3 years old now! Warrantied for 6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Yes I heard that about Costco fees going up this morning too. Guess it was a matter of time. Honestly surprised it hasn't gone up sooner. Some people really abuse their return policy.
    That is an understatement. On one of the Facebook groups there are a few "Costco will still take it back..." moms. I think to myself, how do you sleep at night! lol

I have been working full-time and then some for my half-time salary this week. Every day, every night I have been plugging away at work. I am longing for a night for me and not responsibility. Since March Break is the week after next, I will have at least one soon enough. I have packed our schedule a little heavier than I should this week and next and am looking forward to the slow down during the break.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I don't like receiving phone calls from dh's family sometimes. MIL nearly always calls in the middle of the day when Dh is at work, then I receive bad news that I have to pass along to Dh. I have told him of the death of two grandparents. Today I found out that MIL is going to see a cardiologist later this month and her GP was talking about the risks of open heart surgery. She is in her 60s. She is suddenly on 24hr oxygen, having difficulties getting around, experiencing financial problems, and had to move. She lives in Calgary, so it is not easy to visit her. I'll need to tell Dh when he is home tonight. I've decided that I should do up a new envelope of pictures and mail them this weekend.
    Angela sorry to hear about your MIL's health problems, aging is not fun.

Might she be able to be put on a short list for subsidized care in a hospital or facility. Her cardiologist could make the recommendation and if her condition is quite serious can fast track the request and she's be on a short list for available space.

Perhaps she calls when you are home because she finds it comforting, just a thought.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

angela sorry about your mother-in-law's health -my dear mom had open heart surgery in her late 80"s they are so advanced today -they do surgery most always in the later years
    -well good thing it was a p.a day today as hubby was off and helped me with Ashlyn -as I took a pain killer knowing I had him to help otherwise I wouldn't have -makes me tired -lets hope this shoulder/neck problem heals in 3-4 weeks as my doctor said it may take
    -stopped in shoppers on the way home from my sons spent 41 got 6,700 points -I needed more volateren rub

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    Thoughtful of you to mail the pictures to your relative. Yes, it's emotional labour to always be the messenger for inlaws. Some people want time/attention and sometimes their own offspring don't consider to keep in touch often (my own experience is that mothers/aunts do the bulk of social contact/emotional connecting while the menfolk coast or not bother). DH may need to ask any siblings if his mother has any power of attorney or care plans or help set up because if she's recovering from surgery, she won't be able to do her banking/ bill payments without someone authorized to do her banking for her. It'd be one big shock to lose hydro for late payment if she needs medical devices or electricity during recovery. I assume there is a FIL in the picture/involved with helping MIL at home for meals/laundry/shopping?

If anyone is a Loblaws banner shopper and uses PC Free laundry detergent, check if your local store has put any size jugs of the detergent on 50% off in clearance. My Fortinos did and I made a second trip with my cart to get 4 x96 ct jugs and collected 6400pts (personal offer). Also see if today your store restocked the Ryvita coupon booklet on the CZ board-mine had both holders filled this afternoon. Got one more plus a new Special K granola coupon $1 off.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Supper was great, inlaws popped in for cake and gift opening.

Ds2 was disappointed that he didn't get the Nintendo NES mini (loaded with 30 games) they've been sold out online & in stores (walmart, toy r's us, best buy, the source). Once they restock I will order 1 and set aside for Christmas.

We're off tomorrow to drop ds2 off to meet my mom for a movie tomorrow. So we'll pop into Costco, I'll run into Loblaws (whole chickens $1.88lbs), Value village (maybe), drop off my signed taxes on the way home and of course SDM shop.

Wishing everyone a great evening.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

So glad the week is over, I am in my Jammie's with a tea and in bed. So not normal for me, but I just can't shake this cold. My nose is sore from all the tissue, but at least the stuffy, runny nose has been my primary symptoms.
    We are having trouble with timelines for the kitchen so it look like a late May start, but that gives me more time to save and do some of the other work we want to do.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -Value Village is having 50% off clothing for club card members on Sunday. Everyone else gets the deal on Monday. I realize you are going to be near the location you frequent but see if you can put aside any finds for the big sale (better than the 30% off of winter clothing of about two weeks ago) or take the truck on Sunday morning! The guys can find their own breakfast. DS2 will have to wait longer for his present-at least you have the big item confirmed as something of interest. Glad he was able to have time with his grandparents.

Super happy collecting coffee cups to pitch into the trash tonight (found a McCafe sticker for my card) and that ice cream tub container was not empty-it was full of ice cream. Odd way to toss ice cream by pitching it into a ditch. Have $1.70 to add to my shoe fund tomorrow (the rest is to offset the stamp purchase I made today). Treated myself to a chicken snack wrap at McDonald's and read two papers. Did the wrap price go up? $2.30 with taxes. It used to be $2.25 with taxes. Could not find the $1.99 price on the board. I saw $4.30 on the board under the Happy Meal options.
    @lizzie bargain -have you visited any Toronto stores or are they part of a future shopping trip? Lucky you to see Target in US! Still miss the store two years later.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Dh's best friend got injured at work, so he's on leave for a few days while he tries to heal up. They are at a movie tonight and Dh is using the free $7 gift card towards his ticket.

Our son son and I went for a walk before supper. I found two cans to recycle and picked up the mail which had food FPCs from the manufacturer. I also found a kids day book with phone number, so I called the mom and they stopped by to pick it up this evening. The mom was quite happy because it had disappeared earlier in the week. I'd taught the student while substitute teaching.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information