User Tag List

Page 7 of 233 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast
Like Tree7607Likes

Thread: PC Optimum - SDM and PC Unite Feb.1 2018!!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I do 98% of my shopping at No Frills and SDM. Lucky for me the stores are located side by side in my town. Hoping the new program plays off the best aspects in both programs. ie) push offers forward a week, offers automatically load offers, and bonus offers of 20x points.
    anisa, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    forgive me for being dense.

do we all wait for Feb to sign up for the new program and transfer everything over?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Yup - carry on as usual until Feb 1. Then you'll link up your cards to the new PC optimum. I'm sure by then they will have very clear instructions on how.
    barbis9, Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Pointsman View Post
    Just got one of my fav SDM offers ... 8,000pts wus $30, good Nov 15th only. I usually try to take advantage of this promo, as $30 is not difficult to achieve with 'on sale' and 'need it anyway' items. I look at this a $14.30 free money [8,000 x 1.789], that will add to the 150,000 pts [$268 value] I now have, and let it convert on Feb 1st to PC Optimum points. I'll likely end up redeeming them for $50 Gift cards, like LCBO, Marks, Golftown, etc..
    But what about that pesky restriction that now prohibits redeeming PCPlus pts for Gift Cards you might ask?
    Since majority of our grocery 'shops' is in the $50- $60 range, I simply add my fav $50 Gift Card to the order.
    Redeeming 50,000pts is allowed, as they attribute it to the groceries, but to me, hey, I just redeemed 50,000pts for a $50 Gift card.
    @Pointsman - hi - maybe I'm missing something, but how is that different than redeeming your 50,000 pts for $50 in groceries and then merely buying a $50 GC? Either way you're still OOP $50. What I understand from your post is you're adding a $50 GC to a $50 grocery order, and redeeming $50 in points, so your remaining balance is $50. If i got that wrong, please explain because at first read it sounded great
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Just got one of my fav SDM offers ... 8,000pts wus $30, good Nov 15th only. I usually try to take advantage of this promo, as $30 is not difficult to achieve with 'on sale' and 'need it anyway' items. I look at this a $14.30 free money [8,000 x 1.789], that will add to the 150,000 pts [$268 value] I now have, and let it convert on Feb 1st to PC Optimum points. I'll likely end up redeeming them for $50 Gift cards, like LCBO, Marks, Golftown, etc..

But what about that pesky restriction that now prohibits redeeming PCPlus pts for Gift Cards you might ask?
    Since majority of our grocery 'shops' is in the $50- $60 range, I simply add my fav $50 Gift Card to the order.
    Redeeming 50,000pts is allowed, as they attribute it to the groceries, but to me, hey, I just redeemed 50,000pts for a $50 Gift card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    @Pointsman - hi - maybe I'm missing something, but how is that different than redeeming your 50,000 pts for $50 in groceries and then merely buying a $50 GC? Either way you're still OOP $50. What I understand from your post is you're adding a $50 GC to a $50 grocery order, and redeeming $50 in points, so your remaining balance is $50. If i got that wrong, please explain because at first read it sounded great

Hi Silk - you are correct. Going back 3 years since the program started, I pretty much always did a stand alone redemption for 1 or more Gift Cards, Around here, you could only do this using a PC Financial Card. They would not allow it using just a PCPlus points card. I looked at it as a reward to me, or my wife, for working hard to minimize our Grocery related spending.

Then within the last year, at least around here, and I assume everywhere else, using your PC Financial card to redeem your points for Gift Cards, even PC Gift cards, was no longer permitted. They claimed fraudsters had been taking advantage, although I don't know how nor do I care. I only cared that my 'go to' choice for redeeming our points, over 3million so far, was gone ... or was it?

Really all I'm doing is a work around of sorts ... still getting Gift Cards for our PCPlus points, just not on there own ... you need to have groceries, or other store merchandise that is at least equal to the value of your Gift cards. So yes, I'm out of pocket for groceries, etc. purchased, but that will always be the case, right.
    Last edited by Pointsman; Thu, Nov 16th, 2017 at 10:25 AM.
    dagney, Tweets77, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Another article on the Loblaws online shopping via Instacart: you won't be able to earn PC Plus points on those orders.
    Customers will also pay a 7.5-per-cent service fee, said Thomas, adding prices will be higher online than in stores and shoppers will see different sales on Instacart than in physical locations. Shoppers won’t be able to order alcohol online, or earn or redeem PC Plus points through Instacart.
    https://www.thestar.com/business/201...le-stores.html

You know what I sort of anticipate happening at bricks and mortar stores? All banners will move to fee based carts as some Food Basics and No Frills stores have. I keep seeing ditched carts from Walmart and other grocers and stores in town (other than in parking lots) and rolled down into the flood plain at the Meadowlands bus terminal area in Ancaster. I won't be surprised if store owners/managers want to get some cost recovery on carts. And some stores don't have baskets (hand or rolling ones).
    Last edited by Ciel; Thu, Nov 16th, 2017 at 11:07 AM.
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

The retailer is not yet naming the stores that will close but expects the closures will be mostly done by the end of March 2018.
    http://www.zoomerradio.ca/news/lates...home-delivery/

Guess corporate hq wants loyalty program users to keep shopping into the New Year before the locations are announced.
    barbis9 likes this.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Hi Silk - you are correct. Going back 3 years since the program started, I pretty much always did a stand alone redemption for 1 or more Gift Cards, Around here, you could only do this using a PC Financial Card. They would not allow it using just a PCPlus points card. I looked at it as a reward to me, or my wife, for working hard to minimize our Grocery related spending.
    Then within the last year, at least around here, and I assume everywhere else, using your PC Financial card to redeem your points for Gift Cards, even PC Gift cards, was no longer permitted. They claimed fraudsters had been taking advantage, although I don't know how nor do I care. I only cared that my 'go to' choice for redeeming our points, over 3million so far, was gone ... or was it?
    Really all I'm doing is a work around of sorts ... still getting Gift Cards for our PCPlus points, just not on there own ... you need to have groceries, or other store merchandise that is at least equal to the value of your Gift cards. So yes, I'm out of pocket for groceries, etc. purchased, but that will always be the case, right.
    Thanks for your reply @Pointsman but I'm still not understanding unless you're saying that your store will not let you buy a GC alone, that you must buy groceries in order to buy a GC. Or are you saying that psychologically you're telling yourself you're getting the GC for the points and just paying for your groceries as usual? That's cool if that's what you want to do but I don't see that as a work around Still wondering if I'm missing something here

I also have a PC Financial Card and like you, I miss the days we could redeem our points for GCs. But I don't remember ever having a problem buying GCs alone, without a grocery purchases - whether on the PC Financial Card or another credit card. (I used to just buy the GCs to get points on my non-PC CC and then use them them to shop at my leisure )

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being stubborn - I'd really like to know if there's a real way or a real work-around to use points to get GCs as you seem to be suggesting Telling myself I'm getting the GC for my points and then having to pay for the groceries which would have a been free with the points, is not what I'm looking for. Logically, if I'm going to be out of pocket either way, it doesn't matter to me if I'm out of pocket the same amount for the GC or for the groceries. I like free groceries as much as free GCs Thanks!
    Last edited by Silk; Fri, Nov 17th, 2017 at 12:20 AM.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Sorry if it sounds like I'm being stubborn - I'd really like to know if there's a real way or a real work-around to use points to get GCs as you seem to be suggesting Telling myself I'm getting the GC for my points and then having to pay for the groceries which would have a been free with the points, is not what I'm looking for. Logically, if I'm going to be out of pocket either way, it doesn't matter to me if I'm out of pocket the same amount for the GC or for the groceries. I like free groceries as much as free GCs Thanks!
    Fwiw, I'm not seeing any benefit either except for Pointsman who prefer consider the GCs are free instead of the groceries, or that they're less $25 each, or any other combo. If there's more to it that that. I'd like to know too.
    Silk, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Now the 20 times the points is for $100 on the upcoming flyer......I think things will really change in feb.
    Ciel likes this.

Princess of Paying Less katie333's Avatar
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Now the 20 times the points is for $100 on the upcoming flyer......I think things will really change in feb.
    I think that's more because it's close to Christmas vs. an impending trend but time will tell. For the last couple years SDM has been experimenting with higher dollar thresholds for the 20x events, $75 and $100 were both around this time last year if I recall.
    barbis9, Ciel, redhdlois and 1 others like this.
    Kate

Have a question about cross border coupon shopping? PM me!
    Earn free GC and more with Swagbucks!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Ellen Roseman answers a query from a reader about whether she should redeem her Shoppers Optimum points now or wait.
    https://www.thestar.com/business/per...rs-points.html
    Silk, barbis9, coupon girl and 1 others like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Has anyone learned yet if we will be able to transfer points between different accounts (like we can in Optimum now) in the new PC Optimum program? That's the biggest question I have yet to have answered

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nalaric View Post
    Has anyone learned yet if we will be able to transfer points between different accounts (like we can in Optimum now) in the new PC Optimum program? That's the biggest question I have yet to have answered
    Afaik, this hasn't been specifically answered, but fwiw, I expect the answer will be "no", and that the closest thing we'll be able to do is put multiple people's entire accounts into a "household" (at least I think that will be the term), but I gather that will involve making all your points available to the other member(s) rather than transferring only the number you want to.
    barbis9, Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    Afaik, this hasn't been specifically answered, but fwiw, I expect the answer will be "no", and that the closest thing we'll be able to do is put multiple people's entire accounts into a "household" (at least I think that will be the term), but I gather that will involve making all your points available to the other member(s) rather than transferring only the number you want to.
    That's what I'm expecting as well... which is really too bad! I love being able to able to transfer between accounts. A favourite cousin of mine had a baby a while ago, so for a baby gift I gave her 50k pts at a bonus redemption time. That was fun!

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nalaric View Post
    That's what I'm expecting as well... which is really too bad! I love being able to able to transfer between accounts. A favourite cousin of mine had a baby a while ago, so for a baby gift I gave her 50k pts at a bonus redemption time. That was fun!
    I'm guessing it will still be possible to do things like this, but not as easily. If you have a family member or someone close who doesn't have a PCO account, it seems like it should be possible to create one in his or her name, collect the number of points you want to give away, then add the account to the household of the person to whom you want to give the points.

Page 7 of 233 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast

Thread Information