User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree988Likes

Thread: December 2017 Frugal Chatter thread (last chance to party for Canada's 150th)

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

If the month is not a 5-alarm fire budget month (when budgets go up in smoke) or a financial review/plan for 2018 month, aim for being like Santa partying for Canada's 150th birthday one last time, holiday-style. Red & white theme (food or décor or clothing), activities, cool venue (cottage, party place, fave relative's residence, back deck, family room) and atmosphere (music? the outdoors' peace and quiet? carols?).

If the gift giving list is about to make you reach for really strong food or drink, shop for YOURSELF first and thank Santa as you wrap your present(s). Yes, you are a priority giftee!

OK, off the soapbox and over to you, Smart Canucks! December is ready to roll out. I'm waiting for the appearance of the CIBC bank calendar soon.
    This thread is currently associated with: ATMOSPHERE Sports
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

We made a short outing to a free of charge annual family/kids Christmas celebrating earlier this evening. We went early and didn’t stay very long...which was my compromise regarding minimizing sharing our germs with others. I got some Christmas momentums, but we left before Santa arrived. We didn’t tell our children that Santa was coming for pictures at 6:30.

Just before tucking our son into bed tonight he crossed the last day off November and we turned the calendar to December. He also wrote on the Christmas countdown board. He has been asking to put up the Christmas tree, but Christmas trees and young children don’t mix that well...so not sure exactly when we will be putting ours up this year.

I was preparing to wrap the Chinese gift exchange items and I suddenly can’t find the large dark Chocolate bars that are part of both gifts. It is now on tomorrow’s to do List...figure out where they were put.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:01 AM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Good Morning! TGIF finally. It has been a long week. Want to do running around at lunch and go to the gym but I can't do both. Will see what I feel like when the time comes.
    Angela273, Ciel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

@Angela273 :I pm ed you about our trade,are you still interessed???
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Wishing everyone a very frugal December

Stressed about Christmas even though I'm not hositing (lol). My youngest 14 is so hard to shop for, he doesn't want much which makes it extremely difficult. I have a few ideas for stocking stuffers but other than that I'm stumped.

I have some ground beef thawing wanting spaghetti but time will tell as the kids don't like it, maybe burgers for them, we'll see if I have enough momentum to make 2 dinners

We are bottling wine tomorrow, I'll do a few errands while out.

Wishing everyone a great day
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    @Angela273:I pm ed you about our trade,are you still interessed???
    I pm’d You this morning. Apparently the grocery stores in my community don’t carry that product. I’ve traded for coupons before and then couldn’t use them at the 3 grocery stores in town.
    barbis9, Ciel and cath007 like this.
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    40 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by Angela273 View Post
    I pm’d You this morning. Apparently the grocery stores in my community don’t carry that product. I’ve traded for coupons before and then couldn’t use them at the 3 grocery stores in town.
    @Angela273 : ok I pm ed you again for your colgate palmolive 4x1,00$ coupons or 6x1,00$ coupons depending of your response,I dont have a trade list only the list I sended you
    Last edited by cath007; Fri, Dec 1st, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    The goal is to live day by day not to much thinking hahaha !!!!
    I love to save money!!! Frugal life hahaah !!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Wishing everyone a very frugal December

Stressed about Christmas even though I'm not hositing (lol). My youngest 14 is so hard to shop for, he doesn't want much which makes it extremely difficult. I have a few ideas for stocking stuffers but other than that I'm stumped.

I have some ground beef thawing wanting spaghetti but time will tell as the kids don't like it, maybe burgers for them, we'll see if I have enough momentum to make 2 dinners

We are bottling wine tomorrow, I'll do a few errands while out.

Wishing everyone a great day
    I was feeling the same way and still needed to get stuff for youngest. Then I remembered on the weekend he set up his Uncle's Google Home and mentioned to me later that it was cool and that maybe he would want one! Found one on for 1/2 price still (from Black Friday sales) so now I'm not so stressed! Really need to have the house to myself ASAP so I can sort the gifts! Need to see what I have and what I need but I really feel I am pretty much done.
    Angela273, Ciel and cath007 like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

morning all -going thru a closet today -still getting rid of stuff old clutch , then there is garbage old stretch band,came across cards I kept some 38,39 and 40 years old from hubby and from myself to him -decided I will read them then toss in bluebox,had a small cry read one from my mom when my daughter was little -it said happy birthday to the best daughter ever (I was the only one) you will have a wonderfull grown daughter one day just like you are -and its so true but so nice to read brought back memories of mom
    -rounded up about 12 hangers for my son/wife as they have a ton more clothing than I will ever own
    Last edited by coupon girl; Fri, Dec 1st, 2017 at 01:50 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

It’s been a productive day. I only had one Daycare girl and it was a Kindergarten day for our son. I managed to have them all nap at the same time.

I mended some clothes when they were napping. I sold $30 in baby clothes to two ladies. I organized the small collection of Christmas gifts and made sure the gifts were ready for tomorrow night’s Chinese gift exchange. I didn’t wrap them yet because our son really wants to help with that. I organized, purged, and cleaned 4 of the 6 shelves in the cupboard above our washer and dryer. I posted more stuff for sale and will also give a few items to a friend. We donated food to the food hampers that our son’s school does each year.
    Last edited by Angela273; Fri, Dec 1st, 2017 at 09:33 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 4 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I finally got over to the Social Security office in Niagara Falls, N Y and got a promise that money would be deposited in my account from my late dh's pension in 5 days. That was Wednesday. So, Tuesday, maybe? Some details to still be worked out but let's see if this happens.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

@Aconcallingu I hope it works out soon.
    barbis9, Ciel, cath007 and 1 others like this.
    Caddle Referral Code:

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by avoncallingu View Post
    I finally got over to the Social Security office in Niagara Falls, N Y and got a promise that money would be deposited in my account from my late dh's pension in 5 days. That was Wednesday. So, Tuesday, maybe? Some details to still be worked out but let's see if this happens.
    Hope the transfer occurs as promised. Do you have to get a US $ account for it? Then you'd be a US person if the account is at a Canadian bank. Ditto if you had to open a US account in NY state.

You will need to track what the 2017 US exchange rate is for tax purposes when declaring the income on your return. Believe the CRA provides it or maybe the bank you use has it posted.
    If you received a pension from another country, you must report the total amount on your return in Canadian dollars. Use the Bank of Canada exchange rate in effect on the day you received the pension. If you received the pension at different times during the year, use the average annual rate. The average monthly rate and the daily rate are available by visiting the Bank of Canada website.
    https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...n-country.html
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Dec 2nd, 2017 at 02:05 PM.
    cath007 likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

@jasperandchar -the frugal part is very important. I was just discussing with Mom about planning to downsize the annual dinner she wants to do for later in December and she is sticking to her usual assortment of dishes. Too much work for her-have to let it go that she wants to do it (and I need to pretend it's not happening).However, she wants us to visit Mississauga next week with qualifier we bring our own meals (no lunch out) and I get to buy what I need from the balance of my personal spending money for the month. There are two places we have to see and maybe get photos snapped in front of the sparkly tree in Square One. I'd like to find gloves for me and woolen things for Mom (both stores of interest carry items so it's just a matter of getting around and trying things on without tiring her out).
    For your youngest son, are there causes or charities he likes? Maybe a gift to one or more in his name could settle the gift issue for you.
    I was looking at the Canadian Tire flyers and noticed two versions of Tile tags that would be ideal for keys and things if giftee has Bluetooth on their cellphones. I am going to mention to my sibling as he got a truck (sigh) and could likely use a tracking gadget at this point for the keys.
    barbis9 and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Value Village will have 30% off activewear on Monday, if that is of interest.

Today's Toronto Star has some Christmas cookie recipes published: https://www.thestar.com/life/christm...ous-years.html

The Hamilton Spectator also has a holiday carol book/cookie recipe section in the front of the tv listings. Cannot locate the link. There was one recipe from past food reviewer and book author Norma Bidwell in the collection.

Yesterday, I raked oak leaves that had the impulse to drop some days after the last mulching effort. I don't want the leaves to freeze on walkways and areas where we walk when frost is around. Really want this raking to not be an ongoing matter as various joints are complaining from the dusktime effort and bending.

Not sure what to make for supper tonight as I have finished the quinoa and black bean chili. This morning, I cooked a fresh pot of quinoa and had a small roasting pan of chopped carrots and half an green apple in the toaster oven just to use up produce and provide something cooked with the quinoa for breakfast.

Family is absorbed in the last season of Downton Abbey as sibling bought the DVD and put it on last night. I really have missed too much of the past seasons, but I lost interest after the second episode. Made some time for personal care instead. I was glad I did most of my laundry yesterday and had just one load this morning to run in the machine and hang up while the heat was on.

I intend to get chestnuts and white pomegranates next week to vary the produce offerings at home. Both items are advertised in flyers and I'm curious if the white pomegranate is any different from its red relative in taste. Besides, my chestnut pan needs to be made useful.

Shoppers has 20% off its Tom Smith packages of 3 wrapping rolls and matching gift tags. Suggest you stock up now. Michael's has 50% off wrap (per flyer) and Cdn Tire also has reduced some wrapping paper prices too.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sat, Dec 2nd, 2017 at 02:49 PM.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information