User Tag List

Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I opened a jar of the Sweet Summer Squash Chow Chow (post #950) this past week. Hmm... it is VERY sweet and VERY peppery. I'm not sure I love this combination. If I made it again, I would use a fraction of the pepper and use dry chili flakes instead. I'm not sure how that would effect the pH/safety of the recipe, though. I would also use a combination of yellow squash and green zucchini; I just think it would look nicer.

I don't eat a lot of jam in general, but really like the Carrot Cake Jam (post #951). I'm hopeful that the postal strike will end soon, as I have some packaged up and ready to ship to family in NS. Definitely would make it again.

The Confetti Relish (#949) turned out well - tasty, but lots of chopping by hand to get the confetti look in the jar. The Cucumber (or Zucchini!) Relish (post #845) is my favourite. I used a food processor to make it now instead of hand chopping. Forget hot sauce, I put THIS "stuff" on everything!
    Last edited by TrueNorthTreasures; Sun, Nov 18th, 2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: spelling correction
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNorthTreasures View Post
    I opened a jar of the Sweet Summer Squash Chow Chow (post #950) this past week. Hmm... it is VERY sweet and VERY peppery. I'm not sure I love this combination. If I made it again, I would use a fraction of the pepper and use dry chili flakes instead. I'm not sure how that would effect the pH/safety of the recipe, though. I would also use a combination of yellow squash and green zucchini; I just think it would look nicer.

I don't eat a lot of jam in general, but really like the Carrot Cake Jam (post #951). I'm hopeful that the postal strike will end soon, as I have some packaged up and ready to ship to family in NS. Definitely would make it again.

The Confetti Relish (#949) turned out well - tasty, but lots of chopping by hand to get the confetti look in the jar. The Cucumber (or Zucchini!) Relish (post #845) is my favourite. I used a food processor to make it now instead of hand chopping. Forget hot sauce, I put THIS "stuff" on everything!
    it is so awesome when you love what you canned but sucks when you put in a bunch of effort and don’t like it. Most things I like but I made lemon garlic green beans and glazed carrots last year...hated them both.

for chopping look into a vidalia chop wizard at bed bath and beyond. Works great for lots of chopping!

still have 10 lbs of beets to pressure can. It wasn’t a good canning season for me with my dog being diagnosed with lymphoma early August. It was very time consuming helping him and then losing him a little more than 3 weeks ago. We are still devastated by his loss.
    Lavender Lady and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    it is so awesome when you love what you canned but sucks when you put in a bunch of effort and don’t like it. Most things I like but I made lemon garlic green beans and glazed carrots last year...hated them both.

for chopping look into a vidalia chop wizard at bed bath and beyond. Works great for lots of chopping!

still have 10 lbs of beets to pressure can. It wasn’t a good canning season for me with my dog being diagnosed with lymphoma early August. It was very time consuming helping him and then losing him a little more than 3 weeks ago. We are still devastated by his loss.
    So sorry @scouponer for the loss of your fur baby. I have a dog of my own and know we treat them like our child.
    Natalka and scouponer like this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

@scouponer

So very sorry to read about your loss. I know how very hard it is, one of our cats died at the beginning of the year.

"Dogs come into our lives, leave paw prints on our hearts, and we are forever changed."
    scouponer and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Awww, that is so sad. I'm very sorry to read about the loss of your dog @scouponer . Sending you ((hugs)).
    Natalka, scouponer and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

For those of you with a presto pressure canner with the gauge...I called presto in the US to order some parts. Needed a new sealing ring and new rubber ring for the pressure gauge and presto is the only place where you can get the washers and rubber ring...$2.50 as opposed to buying a new pressure gauge for $30. Anyways they offered me a free jiggler because we have no place in Canada to have our pressure gauges checked to see if they are accurate. I have one already that I ordered from amazon a couple of years ago, but didn’t mention as I can always have another one on hand in case it gets lost. I love the jiggler, makes it so you can take your eyes off the canner as you can tell by sound of you are at proper pressure. Anyways you could always try calling to get one for free.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

That is great customer service!
    Ciel likes this.
    Unique items and great deals to be found on the Halifax Cat Rescue Society auction page.
    Love snail mail? Try
    Postcrossing!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by scouponer View Post
    For those of you with a presto pressure canner with the gauge...I called presto in the US to order some parts. Needed a new sealing ring and new rubber ring for the pressure gauge and presto is the only place where you can get the washers and rubber ring...$2.50 as opposed to buying a new pressure gauge for $30. Anyways they offered me a free jiggler because we have no place in Canada to have our pressure gauges checked to see if they are accurate. I have one already that I ordered from amazon a couple of years ago, but didn’t mention as I can always have another one on hand in case it gets lost. I love the jiggler, makes it so you can take your eyes off the canner as you can tell by sound of you are at proper pressure. Anyways you could always try calling to get one for free.
    Please excuse my juvenile frame of mind @scouponer but as I read the words " free jiggler " in your perfectly serious normal post about cooking I just started laughing! It became worse when you followed up with your love for the jiggler.
    That being said I am happy you got such decent CS from Presto.
    o.k. I will now go sit in the Time Out chair.
    Ciel likes this.

babies teach us acceptance

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

3 batches of stewed tomatoes done and one batch of veggie soup done. Tomatoes prepped for 2nd batch of soup will do today, lots of chopping! The soup takes 75 minutes to process. Canner had very little water left in it. Don’t know what is going on. I used the new sealer ring and all the other new parts I recently purchased. Anyone have any ideas?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

3 batches of stewed tomatoes done and one batch of veggie soup done. Tomatoes prepped for 2nd batch of soup will do today, lots of chopping! The soup takes 75 minutes to process. Canner had very little water left in it. Don’t know what is going on. I used the new sealer ring and all the other new parts I recently purchased. Anyone have any ideas? My new puppy Romeo( born Valentine’s Day so we had to name him that) likes to be helpful and lie in front of the sink or whatever area you are working at which is NOT helpful lol! Don’t want to spill hot stuff on him!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Peaches done...just finished processing 12L of peaches...12 pints and 2 1/2 pints. Still thinking about more tomatoes and veggie soup. Still to do beets, potatoes, and applesauce.
    walkonby, Lavender Lady and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another batch of soup and 10 lbs of pickled beets for my mom. Still to do applesauce and potatoes
    dededi likes this.

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Lots of good stuff here. Which peeps would post their recipes because they sound delicious!

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

This recipe is for TrueNorthTreasures. It is an old French Canadian recipe that i have been using for years. Im posting it in French but it can be easily translated. It is a Zucchini Relish and totally delicious. Ive made 21 jars so far this fall. It can be eaten withkind of meat but excellent with hot dogs or hamburgers. Enjoy!

KETCHUP AUX ZUCCHINI

Ingrédients

• 16 tasses zucchinis coupés en dés

• 2 poivrons rouges coupés en dés

• 1 poivron vert

• 1 poivron orange ou jaune

• 4 tasses oignons émincés

• 3 cuillères à table sel

• 4 tasses sucre

• 2 1/2 tasses vinaigre blanc

• 1 cuillère à thé poivre noir

• 1 cuillère à table curcuma moulu

• 2 cuillères à table graines de
      céleri

• 1 cuillère à thé graine de
      moutarde

• 2 cuillères à table fécule de maïs

Étape 1

Dans une grande passoire Ajouter les zucchinis, oignons et les
    poivrons.

Étape 2

Mettre le sel sur les légumes.

Étape 3

Égoutter quelques heures.

Étape 4

Dans un chaudron Ajouter le sucre, le vinaigre blanc, le poivre
    noir,tuméric, les graines de céleri,les graines de moutarde, la
    fécule de maïs.

Étape 5

Amener le tout à l'ébullition. Ajouter les légumes.

Étape 6

Faire cuire le tout environ 20 minutes. Laisser moins longtemps
    pour des légumes plus croustillants.

Étape 7

Mettre dans les pots chauds. Fermer

Délicieux servi avec les viandes, hot dog or hamburgers
    TrueNorthTreasures and dededi like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Also for you mushroom lovers, here is a recipe for Marinated Mushrooms. This is also an old French Canadian recipe that has been passed down for about 50 years in my family. I have translated this one into English for everyone.

MARINATED MUSHROOMS

3 cups vinegar

1 cup water

2 cups sugar

2 tbsps salt

2 tsps pepper

1 tsp celery salt

2 tsps dry mustard

2 tsps oregano

1 green pepper, cut in strips

2 onions chopped

3 cloves of garlic chopped

1 Kilo small mushrooms (8 – 10 of
    those mushroom containers)

1. Mix vinegar, water, sugar, salt,
      pepper, celery salt, dry mustard and oregano in large pot. Boil for
      5 minutes.

1. Add chopped green pepper and
      chopped onions. Boil for another 3 minutes.
    2. Add the mushrooms and the garlic
      and let boil for approximately 5 minutes or a bit longer.
    3. Ladel into sterilized jars and
      seal thightly. Store in a cool dark place.
    TrueNorthTreasures and dededi like this.

Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 LastLast

Thread Information