User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: Are Stores REALLY doing all they can to protect their workers or is it BS?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I'm certain we've all have had those standard form emails from grocery stores by now explaining how they are dealing with this Covid-19 situation. Each one I read made me feel some comfort as I understood they were taking new steps to protect both the public and their staff from spreading the virus.

Things like reducing the number of hours their stores would be open each day, having the cashiers wash their hands every 15 minutes, cleaning down their work stations more frequently, one store ( I believe it was Sobeys ) said they are installing plexiglass barriers between the shopper and the cashier. WalMart started allowing only 1 customer in the service line to pay at a time, the next customer cannot load their groceries on until that person ahead is gone.

Then reality hit as I witnessed inconsistent practices at different stores.

For instance the reusable bags we all bring in now to load up. If I was a cashier I would NOT want to touch a bag from someone's dirty car or wherever they store it and so of course I fully understood when the Giant Tiger cashier told me she could no longer bag my things.
    Made perfect sense, I bagged my own.

Sadly a cashier at Sobeys who had told the customers this same thing was reprimanded by the Supervisor and told they MUST bag the groceries as they have always done. How is THIS looking out for their staff?
    Record profits are being made in Sobeys ( as well as other stores ) as customers are out stocking up but the staff will see none of this extra money. There are no sick days for them either and WHEN ( not IF ) their staff gets infected with this damn thing, they will simply push each of them aside and put in the next sucker cashier.

Don't be fooled, the washing of their hands every 15 minutes is NOT happening either. We are being lied to.
    This thread is currently associated with: Giant Tiger, Sobeys, Walmart
    Natalka, Lynn49, Shwa Girl and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Good thread. I heard a Loblaws store give their cashiers gloves and posted signs that customers must bag their own. I heard Costco wipes the carts as you enter, have social distancing at the cash register, and limit the number of people entering the warehouse at a time. Just what my friends said. No proof.

If Sobeys has unionized cashiers, they should be talking to their union rep or their health and safety rep or contact the Minister of Labour or their local public health unit. Do the calls outside of the store and away from managers
    Lynn49, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ha ha @Shwa Girl ^^ Sobeys unionized? NOPE , they would never try that nonsense if the workers had union protection.
    Lynn49, Ciel and Shwa Girl like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

@walkonby , I'm going to post this on Sobey's FB page, not of course, listing where it came from, only that someone posted it somewhere. That's so sad that their workers are being exposed like that!!!
    I have no words, honestly, about how incomprehensible that is!!!
    Ciel, walkonby and Shwa Girl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Most of what I heard in emails and media had been held true. Although At Sobeys, I usually go through the self serve checkouts anyway... but more so now because I dont want them handling my stuff (for theirs and my concern, to be honest).

Speaking of limiting the handling of my stuff... I tried this at Costco this morning:

I had a cart full of stuff (20-ish items). I positioned ALL of my items with the barcode upward.
    I suggested that instead of putting all this stuff on the conveyor, that they just scan each one with the gun and be done with it.
    There would be no need to touch or move anything in the cart. it was all visible and scanable with the gun.

Nope, they weren't having it. I was told "Everything must be put on the conveyor."
    "WHY???"
    "Store policy."
    I rolled my eyes, and said "even given this current situation?"
    "yes."
    "gee, I was trying to avoid as much handling as possible... but whatever"

They were otherwise good to keep people coralled outside and 6-ft apart... limiting the number of customers in the store... and from handling carts without the well protected staff wearing gloves and sanitzing the handles... and tape lines on the floor at the registers to ensure people were distanced as well.

They were more than happy to scan my membership without touching it... why not scan my purchases without touching them?

Not only will they not need to be handled... but I'd have gotten through a lot faster because nothing has to be unloaded and reloaded back in the cart.

But no... oh well...
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Sat, Mar 21st, 2020 at 01:37 PM.
    super_e and walkonby like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I think the practices depend on the store, At my work, we are still open but have locked the doors to the public. You now walk up to our office where we have placed a phone outside the door and you call in your order. We pick your order and then it is brought out to you. Also anyone who can work from home, myself included are working from home which has allowed us to move staff who cannot work to home to be more spread out by moving their work spaces to single use offices.

My Mom's work on the other hand, they seem to put policies in place and then change them. They also are no communicating this to customers which is causing frustration. They shortened hours but did not tell customers nor did they post anything, which lead to staff getting yelled out. They were supposed to be limiting customers to only 20 in the store at a time but again was not communicated, no signs posted, a number of complaints came in so they upped it to 40 customers at a time.

They have increased their cleaning efforts but most staff do not feel enough is being done for their safety. I know right now my Mom and a lot of co workers are frustrated as they feel nothing is being done for the front line workers. It is not helping that upper management (who are working from home and are not allowed to be in stores for their safety) announced the only way stores will close is if the government orders them to close. I think right now they just feel like no one cares about them.

I realize this is all a big catch 22. I understand how Mom feels the way she does but at the same time I do not know what to say as my work is doing everything to stay open and at the request of staff who cannot work from home, all staff who can work remotely are. I see both sides as right now we are getting a ton of calls, emails & text from customers asking if we are staying open and we are trying to stay open. So I see both sides of this. We are not essential but we are manufacturing and even when you speak to most of our staff who cannot work from home they also want us to stay open.

I really feel like right now there are no real answers. My work meets every 2 to 3 days (via web conference) just to try to stay on top of everything happening.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Sat, Mar 21st, 2020 at 04:25 PM.
    Ciel, plc and walkonby like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh wow!!
    Today at around 2 p.m. I was forced to enter NF to pick up cat food.....how I let my stockpile deplete I'll never know?
    It was startling what I encountered, but in a positive way.
    The store manager was outside, patrons were lined up one behind each other with a safe distance between each of them marked with a line of blue tape in the concrete.

I joined the line....he was in the middle of announcements on what patrons need to do and not do while in the store AND what NF will do and not do. I was hella impressed!
    They are not making their cashiers load up reusable bags, each checkout station has social distancing guideline markers, blue tape on the floors.
    There are staff at the entrance with cloths and disinfectant spray for patrons picking up a basket with handles, they wipe it all down before you start your shop.

They limited the number of patrons going in ( hence the line I was in ) but it wasn't long before I too was sashaying through the turnstile and down the nearly empty aisles. No chance of bumping into anyone with that kind of restriction.
    I felt so weird though, like I was in a crazy movie or something, but I certainly have more respect than ever for that location for doing the full Monty! ha ha KIDDING! no one was nekkid.
    Giseledta, Ciel, GoJays and 6 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    oh wow!!
    Today at around 2 p.m. I was forced to enter NF to pick up cat food.....how I let my stockpile deplete I'll never know?
    It was startling what I encountered, but in a positive way.
    The store manager was outside, patrons were lined up one behind each other with a safe distance between each of them marked with a line of blue tape in the concrete.

I joined the line....he was in the middle of announcements on what patrons need to do and not do while in the store AND what NF will do and not do. I was hella impressed!
    They are not making their cashiers load up reusable bags, each checkout station has social distancing guideline markers, blue tape on the floors.
    There are staff at the entrance with cloths and disinfectant spray for patrons picking up a basket with handles, they wipe it all down before you start your shop.

They limited the number of patrons going in ( hence the line I was in ) but it wasn't long before I too was sashaying through the turnstile and down the nearly empty aisles. No chance of bumping into anyone with that kind of restriction.
    I felt so weird though, like I was in a crazy movie or something, but I certainly have more respect than ever for that location for doing the full Monty! ha ha KIDDING! no one was nekkid.
    Good for No Frills. Impressive.
    Was at a Costco and they had the same lines outside, same tape stuff at the cashier and the cashier did not touch your Costco membership card. They told you which cash to go to and there was a 'bagger' and a cashier. Everybody with gloves. The customer does not empty their cart onto the belt. The bagger did this. At the exit, they did not touch your receipt but looked at it. There was no seating in the food court. The guys who do the carts spray down the carts when you return them, so they are infection control and prevention measures (IPAC) compliant.
    Good for Costco. Impressive.

Both No Frills and Costco are stepping up their IPAC measures.
    I think if anyone tries to sue No Frills or Costco, because they got COVID-19 while shopping there, it will be easier for their lawyers to defend these stores because they have put IPAC measures in place.
    Ciel, walkonby, luvthefree and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hey walkonby, here's what Freshco is doing for their employees. I subscribe to their online flyers (got $5 off groceries) and get their email each week
    To our Valued FreshCo Customer,
    • All teammates will receive an additional $50 a week, regardless of the number of hours worked, recognizing how each one of our heroes is going over and above to feed our customers.
    • All of our teammates who work more than 20 hours a week will receive an additional $2 premium per hour for all hours over 20 hours, in addition to the $50 payment mentioned above.
    • All of these new arrangements are retroactive to March 8, 2020, and employees will receive their first payments in early April.
    • This program will be reassessed at the end of April.
    • We are mobilizing our recruitment drive and are hiring additional part-time teammates across our business.
    • Top-up programs are in place for teammates who are in self quarantine for a two-week period or for those taking time off work to care for dependents or children.
    Last edited by Shwa Girl; Mon, Mar 23rd, 2020 at 05:59 AM.
    Ciel likes this.

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Well. We are taking some of the same procautionary steps at our store (RCSS). We are limiting the number of customers in the store, we have the plexiglass shields, from what I have seen even just when I leave in the morning, everything is being spayed down and cleaned.

In terms of support for us. IF we were to self quarantine, we are STILL PAID for ALL SCHEDULED shifts we we suppose to work.
    We are getting that $2/hr premium retroactive to March 8th until AT LEAST the end of April, And of course, Overtime is unlocked for us, so if we WANT to work more we can do so.

Although apparently (at least at our store), this temporary employee program is backfiring a little, we just had someone who was hired come in this morning, and sent home cause there is no work since everyone is working overtime. So we are hiring these people that we don't really need right now... And no proper communication between front end and management...
    Ciel likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Was at Costco... ...there was a 'bagger' and a cashier. Everybody with gloves. The customer does not empty their cart onto the belt. The bagger did this.
    Here are my issues with this practice:

1.) First up: Gloves are pointless, except for show.

FACT: The Covid-19 virus cannot penetrate your skin. It's a respiratory virus and can only infect you if you get it in your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. So the glove is offering no protection. For all intents and purposes, touching things with your hands versus touching things with gloves makes ZERO difference.

they have put IPAC measures in place.
    IPAC practice (when it comes to gloves) is only effective if you change the gloves with EVERY new handling (versus having to wash your hands after every handling). -- It's how health professionals do it when dealing with patients but I'd be willing to bet they arent doing that at Costco. At least, they werent when I was there last.

The problem is more that if you touch your face. Whether you do it with your infected hand or your infected glove, you've done the same amount of damage. (try it sometime... touch wet paint with a bare hand and then touch something else. Now do the same with a gloved hand... the paint still transfers to the new surface regardless -- this is the exact same concept)

2.) That said, and speaking of "transference" ... let's say I'm infected with the virus (and I don't know it, otherwise I wouldnt be ignorant enough to be in public). I touched everything in my cart as I was shopping, attaching the virus to all those items. Now the "bagger" has touched everything in my cart moving them to the conveyor... NEXT the cashier will touch everything to ring it up. After they're done with me... they will ALL touch YOUR stuff if you are next in line... with the same gloves they used to touch my infected stuff with.
    -- See the problem?

It would be better if *I* put the stuff on the conveyor and there was no bagger there at all. One less person to touch stuff. -- or better yet... they scan all the stuff in the cart with their gun like I mentioned in a previous post -- (incidentally, Costco in the US has self-serve checkouts... I live for this because this is EXACTLY how I shop when I'm there) but granted, that's a lot trickier if customers dont position the UPCs to be visible, or they have a huge pile of stuff. But again, self-serve checkouts and no one but me is touching anything.

And no, I'm not a germophobe... not by a long shot... but I have been trained in sterile practices and the fewer people involved, the less chance there is to spread it.

ADDED AFTER: The more I think about it, the "bagger" should be a second cashier. Taking turns between customers. One puts a customer through, then goes and washes their hands while the next rings people through, swap, repeat...
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Mar 24th, 2020 at 09:55 AM.
    super_e, Ciel, Ladybug2011 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Hey walkonby, here's what Freshco is doing for their employees.

• All teammates will receive an additional $50 a week, regardless of the number of hours worked, recognizing how each one of our heroes is going over and above to feed our customers.
    • All of our teammates who work more than 20 hours a week will receive an additional $2 premium per hour for all hours over 20 hours, in addition to the $50 payment mentioned above.
    • All of these new arrangements are retroactive to March 8, 2020, and employees will receive their first payments in early April.
    • This program will be reassessed at the end of April.
    • We are mobilizing our recruitment drive and are hiring additional part-time teammates across our business.
    • Top-up programs are in place for teammates who are in self quarantine for a two-week period or for those taking time off work to care for dependents or children.

I subscribe to their online flyers (got $5 off groceries) and get their email each week
    @Shwa Girl Sounds almost decent of FreshCo doesn't it? But when the fine print of the paperwork was examined by some sleuth employees it was discovered that the managers are getting $500.00 per week extra, PLUS time and a half for anything past their 39.5 hr work week.
    A tad " unbalanced " with their hero pay I think.
    Ciel and luvthefree like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bhlombardy View Post
    Here are my issues with this practice:

1.) First up: Gloves are pointless, except for show.

FACT: The Covid-19 virus cannot penetrate your skin. It's a respiratory virus and can only infect you if you get it in your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth. So the glove is offering no protection. For all intents and purposes, touching things with your hands versus touching things with gloves makes ZERO difference.
    I wore latex gloves and I am well aware that the virus doesn't penetrate skin. I wore the gloves to remind myself to not touch my face. I was never one to be constantly touching my face before any of this happened, but the reminder doesn't hurt.
    Purdee, bhlombardy, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I wore latex gloves and I am well aware that the virus doesn't penetrate skin. I wore the gloves to remind myself to not touch my face. I was never one to be constantly touching my face before any of this happened, but the reminder doesn't hurt.
    this is SOOO weird! @GoJays I also wear gloves when I go out for that same reason...the thin clear disposable ones, to remind myself not to touch my face ( especially my nose which instantly becomes itchy when I am instructed not to touch it )

Also wrt the gloves. This virus stays on surfaces so when I have to be out and touch any of those surfaces the potential virus contamination would be on the outside of the gloves. When I come back and peel them off downwards from the wrist edge, the outside is now on the inside and I toss them, then I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer after that.

It may all be a false sense of security on my part, but hoping it helps.
    Purdee, bhlombardy, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by GoJays View Post
    I also wear gloves when I go out for that same reason...the thin clear disposable ones, to remind myself not to touch my face ( especially my nose which instantly becomes itchy when I am instructed not to touch it )
    I dont dispute this logic at all... in fact I do agree with it. (and I DO wear gloves as well whenI shop). My point was more about the folks at Costco who are constantly wearing the same gloves and touching everything just as they would with their bare hands. The transference will still occur from product (to glove) to product, and cart to cart (for the cart handlers) and thus customer to customer. The only way to prevent it would be if they changed their gloves with every transaction (and/or washed their hands with every one)... otherwise the gloves are pointless (other than reminding them to not touch their face)

Gloves, if worn for protection, are ideal for short-term. As @walkonby mentions:
    Also wrt the gloves. This virus stays on surfaces so when I have to be out and touch any of those surfaces the potential virus contamination would be on the outside of the gloves. When I come back and peel them off downwards from the wrist edge, the outside is now on the inside and I toss them, then I wash my hands and use hand sanitizer after that.
    This is really a better practise to be sure... and the absolute PERFECT way to remove them.
    It may all be a false sense of security on my part, but hoping it helps.
    What you're doing isnt false-sense. You really can't be TOO careful right now. There's no taking chances and you seem to be mindful of how the gloves will/wont work.
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Tue, Mar 24th, 2020 at 10:45 PM.
    Ciel, GoJays and walkonby like this.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information