User Tag List

Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree2646Likes

Thread: Covid-19 situation

the beautiful Richelieu River Valley area of Quebec
    Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Im sure you have all heard that Montreal is the epicenter of the Covid-19 outbreak in Canada. It is a really bad situation here. The "Hot Zones" are Montreal, Laval and the Monteregie area (where I live). We live about 25 minutes from downtown Montreal but it seems like another world, very rural so you would never think that we are in the think of it. I think the situation has gotten worse for us here is the fact that Montreal is sending its overflow from the Covid hospitals to 2 South Shore (Monteregie area) hospitals. the infections are growing and the deaths are increasing and not just in the long-term care homes.

Elementary Schools in the Monteregie area are opening on Monday but parents arent obligated to send their kids. The measures in place are as follows: only 15 kids per class, they have to be 3 meters apart, no recess, have to eat at their desks, no playing together, and no real learning because lots of kids are missing. Also they will probably not have their regular teacher. I have 2 grandkids in elementary school and their parents have decided not to send them to school on Monday. The other 3 grandkids are in secondary school and that is closed until September. To me it just doesnt make sense: either you close all schools or open all schools. Anyway who am i to biatch about this.

We are strongly recomended (like the rest of Canada) to wash wash wash our hands, keep social distancing, etc and also it seems that we will be obligated to wear masks when we go out (not yet a law) but strongly recommended. What really bothers me is that me and lots of other people follow these guidelines but there are others who completely disregard this. And it is worrysome.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO, francine1985 and Thatdone like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

So far Ontario is still up in the air about re opening schools (supposed to be announced this week), I just have one niece who is school aged and if schools re open she will not be going. My cousin has said they are fortune his wife is at home after baby#2 it didn't make sense to go back to work and they now have baby#3.

Although we do not know what Ontario will do yet my concern is I feel Ford is feeling the pressure to reopen (possibly too soon) and some feel they may re open schools so parents can go back to work. If this happens I feel for parents who may have to go back to work and whether they feel it is safe or not are forced to send their children back to school (if the schools reopen).

I agree with people who are not following the guidelines. I have some neighbours who are treating this as an early start to summer. Where is we are doing everything we can basically not leave out house, even grocery shopping we have gone to once a month.

It snowed here today and I kind of feel like this is Mother Nature saying hey follow the rules stay inside
    ROMEO, francine1985 and SnowFlakey like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Riverside school board in the Monteregie only has 1 school opening next week, the rest are opening on the 25th (for now)
    ROMEO and francine1985 like this.

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

I’m in New Brunswick and we currently only have 2 confirmed active cases (zone 2 and zone 3). There are no active cases in my zone but I still wouldn’t be sending my kids to school. I pulled my kids out on a Friday when we got our first confirmed case and schools were officially closed the following Monday. There is still way too much unknown of the effects of covid-19 on kids. Many believe that kids aren’t effected and recover just fine, however there are kids who are hit quite hard and this new illness that acts almost like toxic shock and is killing kids is believed to be linked to covid-19.

2 cases isn’t much, however that’s only known confirmed cases. Our borders are surrounded with highly infected areas so I don’t exactly trust our numbers.
    Last edited by francine1985; Sun, May 10th, 2020 at 01:58 AM.
    ROMEO and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

My 2 elementary school age grandkids both go to French school in the Monteregie, The school board is Commission Scolaire des Hautes Riveres and they are opening on Monday. their parents have decided to keep them at home.

The fact that it is becoming known that yes children are getting affected by this virus in a completely different way is very disquieting. There have been deaths linked to this new covid-19 symdrom in kids. How can it be safe to send kids to school. And yes, in my opinion, i think Premiere Legault and his team are probably opening schools as a first assault to reopening the economy: parents have to put their kids somewhere before they go back to work. But then why are high schools closed until September. Anyway, just my opinion.

Quebec was one of the first provinces to close things down so i dont understand why we are the hardest hit and it is becoming worse every day. One thing was is being said is all those Snowbirds were forced to return early and to self quarantine. Most respected the self quarantine, others didnt and it is being said that this is one of the reasons for the spread. Who know, eh.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

High schools are probably closed until September because most high school kids are old enough to stay home alone, they could also do more hours at their part time jobs. So far all of the parents I have talked to are keeping their kids home. I know some people will need to send their kids to school as they need the income, not everyone is entitled to the money the government is providing. A more sensible solution would have been to let every household pick 1 other household to share "daycare" duties. A healthy grandparent can care for a healthy child without endangering the families of the other students and staff of a school.
    Last edited by dq14; Sun, May 10th, 2020 at 11:11 AM.
    ROMEO, francine1985 and SnowFlakey like this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dq14 View Post
    High schools are probably closed until September because most high school kids are old enough to stay home alone, they could also do more hours at their part time jobs. So far all of the parents I have talked to are keeping their kids home. I know some people will need to send their kids to school as they need the income, not everyone is entitled to the money the government is providing. A more sensible solution would have been to let every household pick 1 other household to share "daycare" duties. A healthy grandparent can care for a healthy child without endangering the families of the other students and staff of a school.
    I totally agree with you!
    francine1985 likes this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

Its definitely that time of year again when we have to change our snow tires (mandatory in Quebec) to summer tires. When we called for an appointment at the dealership, we were told that there are certain protocals to follow. Like follow the marked line to present ourselves, then make sure we and the employees are properly protected etc, After make our way to the service counter where we had to stand 6 feet from the service clerk, deposit our keys into a box and then we were told to follow the marked line again and to wait outside. We were not allowed to wait in the service area. I asked the service clerk if it would be about an hour and he said yes. Well, it took 2 hours for an oil change and a tire change!!!! and it was cold waiting outside. Usually the 2 together take about 1 hour. I biatched and complained but hey im a woman and im elderly so they think they can get away with stuff like that. Even with social distancing in the service department, it should take 2 hours. Every mechanic has his own bay to work at so its not as if they are crowded. We have been dealing with this dealership ever since we bought our car so its not the first time we are there. Ive had issues with the service clerk before when the car was brand new and there was a problem and he tried to tell me ithe problem was normal. Obviously because im a woman and elderly. I hate that crap. So it isnt just the Covid-19 thingy.
    SassyAshley likes this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I hope the hair salons will open soon. im starting to look like a shaggy dog! Im actually thinking of asking son to borrow his doggy clippers!

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I thin i had a slight melt-down last night. On TV they were talking about grandparents and grandchildren not being able to hug and i started crying. My grandchildfren are all huge huggers; the oldest will be 17 next week and the youngest will be 11 the end of June. Waving to them from the car or doorway doesnt quite cut it.

So imagine the joy i felt today when the Gov of Quebec announced that we would be allowed to get together in a park or backyard but not inside: only 3 familes for a total of 10 people and we fit in exactly!!!!!! So next week for Granddaughter 1 we will be holding a b-day party at her fathers house for her. Also we will be celebrating all the other b-days that we missed. 5 in total with 5 different b-day cakes. It will be a simple affair: hotdogs on the BBQ, potato salad, macaroni salad and cole slaw, chips, ice cream. We still have to maintain distancing but only 2 meters and everyone can be together again and spend a few hours. The cousins will be happier than pigs in s**t. I just hope it doesnt rain on next Saturday.
    Skippy, walkonby and Linda Evans like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Canada's top doctor recommends use of non-medical masks when social distancing difficult

by The Canadian Press, News staff
    Posted May 20, 2020 12:09 pm EDT
    Last Updated May 20, 2020 at 2:45 pm EDT

https://www.680news.com/2020/05/20/n...rudeau-says-2/

Canada’s public health experts are now fully recommending Canadians wear non-medical face masks in public when they aren’t sure they will be able to keep their distance from others.

Dr. Theresa Tam said the new recommendation comes as stay-at-home orders are lifting in different provinces and more people are going outside, riding public transit, or visiting stores.
    “This will help us reopen and add another layer to how you go out safely,” Tam said Wednesday in her daily briefing to Canadians on the COVID-19 pandemic.
    SnowFlakey likes this.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I have been wearing masks for quite a while now when doing grocery shopping. With the warmer weather and wearing a mask, i find it more difficult to breath. My skin crawls and i just want to tear the mask off! My face it all sweaty and hot under the mask. I have 2 different kinds of masks and both are hard to breath through. I have the standard ones that you get at the clinic and i have a homemade one. Cant stand either of them. Im looking for something breathable for summer. If anyone knows of something like this, please let me know.

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

On another note, things are starting to open up in my area of Quebec. Dentists will start to reopen on June 1. I need to go badly: i cracked a tooth the end of March and the filling fell out. When i called the dentist back then, the secretary who was taking calls told me the office was closed until further notice but she would relay my message to a dentist. Anyway she got back to me a week later and i was told to use Ortho Wax to fill the hole in the tooth and to take Tylynol. I called the dental office yesterday to remind them that i am waiting and its urgent.

Also i needed an eye exam, so on the off chance that someone would answer i called. And they opened as of May 19. So the receptionist gave me an appointment to this evening and im very happy with that.

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I was at Dairy Queen this afternoon. It was a very warm day here and there were lots of people there-including chikdren. People were, to some extent , observing physical distancing, but NOT ONE PERSON , except myself, was wearing a mask. If we have another spike in 2 weeks, I won't be surprised.
    ROMEO, walkonby and SnowFlakey like this.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Trading Score
    73 (100%)

I can understand why peeps dont want to wear masks. They are very very uncomfortable in this warm weather and its not even humid. Can you imagine what it will be like with humidity. Anyway, all signs are predicting a second wave.
    avoncallingu and walkonby like this.

Page 1 of 60 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information