User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best Tips For Getting Ready for Christmas/Saving Money at Christmas?

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Well, the stores are putting their decorations out, and I have already received my first Christmas card(!!) from someone who is going to be out of the country for the next two months! So, the upcoming holiday season is on my mind, and I'm really determined to keep things as stress-free as possible.

Thanks to SC, I signed up for Optimum points soon after joining. I just did my first redemption and was able to do some Christmas shopping for my family!! I was so excited!! I wouldn't have known about this if it weren't for the tips that members of SC have passed along.

So, I'm curious about other tips this community may have about getting ready for Christmas so that things don't feel rushed and last minute - and about the ways you find to save money during a time when there can be a lot of demands on the pocketbook.

What are some of your best tips??
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I always try to save up my gift cards Ive accumulated from the year to use at christmas time.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I buy things throughout the year (I actually start on Boxing Day!). It might be the reason my tiny apt looks like it should be in Hoarders.

Last year, with the Glade promo, nearly everyone got a Sense & Spray as a stocking stuffer (luckily I only have to buy for adults, I don't think a child would have appreciated that one ).

Seriously, I buy things throughout the year. I find it's easier to spend a little here & there, than a whole lot in one shot. I use a credit card that has some sort of reward program for just about everything (including phone/cable/internet bills) then redeem those points for GCs to use either as presents or to buy presents or groceries (Air Miles can be redeemed for a Metro GC - wait for specials & good deals at Metro & go wild).

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Like Andi said....it really takes the sting out of Christmas when making purchases throughout the year....esp stocking stuffers (and Vistaprint helped there, too...free t-shirts, note-pads, caps, etc...a mouse-pad with their family picture on it...)

And I find shopping on-line to be a big help!
    1. Sales and great prices (although you have to careful of shipping)
    2. I'm not tempted by everything I see in the stores and then over-spending.
    3. More time at home to do all those things that are usually rushed at Christmas...(decorating, baking, etc, and freezing ahead..)

Just keep your eyes open for sales...that's the key.
    And as all Sc/ers know...never buy anything that's not on sale or that you can't use a coupon on!

Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I shop all year as well. starting boxing day....I have enough stocking stuffers saved up and many gifts put away.....I am actually hoping to make my list this week and decide what else I need...... also have my turkey and got lots of candy this week on clearance for stocking stuffers and treat bowls!!! Just need to get some good baking supply coupons now and I will be set!! I find it helps as well to take cash shopping, then I know when I am reaching my limit and decide if it is worth putting on Visa!!!

Trading Score
    123 (99%)

I try to finish as much as possible before the end of november..I hate to fell rushed and stressed..I too shop all year long,most things are wrapped already.I make several huge batches of nutless-nuts and bolts and package them and use them for teachers gifts attaching a tree ornament. I start buying cereal etc at the beginning of Nov and mix it up towards the end.
    I have all my wrap,tissue,paper,tape etc etc all together so it is easy do wrap a gift or two when I have a few minutes..
    I wrap an open box and put presents going to one destination into it so no last minute scrambling..
    I bake and freeze several dainties and treats as well as freezing some lasagnes and cassoroles for busy time in December.
    I try and buy all the non perishables I can in October+November so I can stay out of the stores as much as possible in December.
    Keep lists and check em twice!

Thanks for this thread!

G

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

If you have the room and if the thing won't go bad, buy for next christmas after this christmas.

Things like gift baskets go on sale for 50-75% off right after Christmas, so if you can have a place to store it, I would buy it almost a year early.

Carlton Cards also has a sale so I try to buy my cards as well a year in advance, and sometimes you can get decorative items just after Christmas for cheap.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    202 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by garbagepicker View Post
    I bake and freeze several dainties and treats as well as freezing some lasagnes and cassoroles for busy time in December.
    I have never tried baking anything ahead of time and freezing it. Are there some kinds of goodies that are better for freezing than others?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

We, my family and I don't spend on Commercialization. Thats the only tip I have to offer and a good one at that in our opinion.

But I do know of one good tip if you have to have things to give at Christmas. A friend of ours worked at a thrift store for some years and she bought things during the year at the store that were brand new, in the package that was bought probably as gifts, never opened and then sent to the thrift stores. She supplied her kids with Games, Toys etc new and packaged at a very cheap price.
    Last edited by eric53; Sat, Nov 6th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.
    Taking my wife out for dinner Friday night.
    We are going to
    Sam n' Ellas

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

I don't know what I am going to do for Christmas this year, I am too broke...I think it will have to be a minimum gift and a big family dinner and movie night, maybe play some games..

One thing that I find does help me prepare though, is try and do a cookie swap...you bake however many dozen treats as there are people participating, and then have them all over for wine and cheese and do a baking swap, it's great, saves so much baking time!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think the buying presents all year is a good idea except for me!! I can't keep presents from someone for that long, I get too excited and want to give them away right away. SO I had my mom's presents picked out but I just gave them to her every time I picked something up

I will try to restart now. I like being an Avon rep for the christmas season so I can get discounts on great presents.
    "Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than You." - Dr. Seuss

Trading Score
    69 (100%)

My best advice is to make a list

I've got a list of all the food i want to buy and i pick up a little bit each week from November onwards...obviously this doesn't work with everything you want i.e perishables but it certainly spreads the costs out.

I have also been saving my pc points to use for Christmas.

As for Pressies - well i've just got the kids and dh to get stuff for.
    DD is really good and has a detailed list -for books i'll check out costco as some are available there(and for a few $$ less!), others get them from chapters....from the comfort of my armchair
    She also wants clothes, so she'll end up with a gc and we'll go shopping in the sales after Xmas to make the most of her money

DH tells kids - No list=No pressies. At least that way we have a clue as to what they want and don't waste money!!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I make a list of what I want to give my family as gifts and stick to it. I also get the kids to make their Santa wishlists that we mail to santa (and Mom gets to keep a copy) and TRY to stick to that list.

Everything goes on sale prior to Christmas, so I almost always get my gifts bought on sale.
    The average dog
    is nicer
    than the average person.

Smart Canuck GottaLoveFreeebies's Avatar
    Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BookMom View Post
    I have never tried baking anything ahead of time and freezing it. Are there some kinds of goodies that are better for freezing than others?

I mkael ots ahead and freeze it all!!! Lebkucken. pfeeffrnuese, perogies, vinatartar, a variety of cookies and squares including cherry cheese balls and skor to name a few!! They all freeze well and I have lots leftover for New Years!!!!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Well the best tip I can give is don't have any kids and you will save a fortune.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information