User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Crappy produce rant

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Has anyone else noticed the quality of fresh produce going down hill lately? Doesn't matter where I buy it from, Zerhs, Superstore, No Frills, Freshco, Sobeys, Food Basics, Walmart or even the farmers market, I have to dig through containers of bruised, mouldy berries to find ones with no mould and only a few bruised berries, take them home, pick out the bad ones, wash the good ones and they still don't last more than a day in the fridge before they go bad. Lettuce is brown and wilted, peppers are soggy(although if I get them from the farmers market they are nice and firm but I'm not always going to drive 25 mins just for peppers), raspberries are black on the inside, bananas are always either green or half brown, I have yet to buy a melon or pineapple this year that I haven't had to toss out at least half of.
    I'm spending more money on produce that I end up tossing than we actually eat. I know I can take them back to the store if they go bad, but with two kids that aggravate each other to no end in stores and a dh that doesn't get home until 8 or 9 at night in the summer that's not always an option and it still doesn't solve the problem of having crappy produce in the first place.
    Any tips on how to make produce last longer than a day or two in the fridge?
    This thread is currently associated with: Food Basics, FreshCo, No Frills, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Sobeys, Walmart
    walkonby and ticul like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Not really. If it looks like crap I just don't buy it. All the stuff I bought this week has been wonderful, seedless green grapes, raspberries, peaches and pears. Sometimes I find if it is at the end of its selling time it looks like crap (like the peaches, I'm sure they won't look so good come the weekend if it is the same stack sitting there that was there last weekend)
    pippinelkhound and ticul like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Yes I have noticed this too!!!! Even expensive stores like Sobeys and Loblaws. I wonder if there is a crop issue?

It is so annoying, I go with a huge list of stuff and walk out with practically nothing because the food is already bruised (sometimes even rotten). Longo's is one of the few places that doesn't have this problem (but you'll pay for it).
    tjthemanto, ticul and SassyAshley like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I guess I've been very lucky. I buy all my produce at Walmart and not only have they been perfect, I have found the size of the broccoli and cauliflower to be bigger in size than No Frills, Food Basics and Freshco. They have lasted in my fridge up to one week (and in some cases longer). Sorry to hear that your produce hasn't been good lately. It is really frustrating to spend money and then to just throw it away.
    ticul likes this.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I haven't had any problems at all - I just know where to buy what around here, I suppose.
    Sometimes if the lettuce doesn't look great, it's fine at the next store, for example.

To keep veggies longer, I take them out of the bag they are in, wrap in paper towel, and put into a grocery bag and put into the crisper. Don't wash anything until you are going to use it.

For berries, don't keep in the original container. I usually separate them, and wash what we will use in the next day in a colander.

Usually buy fruits and veggies at Co-op, Safeway, Sobeys - veggies sometimes at Extra Foods.
    Never at WM or SS - or meat.
    ticul and torontogal12 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Sorry to hear about your produce going bad so quickly. I usually price match most of the produce at WM and I have been quite surprised at the quality. Corn has been deliciously sweet and berries (strawberries, blueberries) have been awesome too - I have had them in the fridge for over a week without any issue. Some items are hit and miss, but overall, I have been very happy with my WM produce shops.

I do find that they turn on the sprinklers a little too often - this contributes to soggy veggies. I usually know the times when they bring out the fresh produce from the back - so that's when I try to go. Otherwise, Natalka had some very helpful suggestions

Remove your produce from plastic baggies/containers - the moisture quickens spoilage.
    Dont wash anything until you are ready to consume it
    Keep everything in a dry cool place and this will prolong the shelf life of your produce

If your store consistently has bad quality produce, it may be an issue with the supplier, or they are just keeping things in the back for too long...so by the time it reaches the aisles, it's been around for awhile and isn't 'fresh'.
    Natalka and ticul like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I notice walmart usually keeps old stocks out until they get sold before they would bring out the fresh ones. in times I get to know the produce staffs, then I just go straight to them and ask for the fresh ones they keep in the back
    Last edited by cinpow; Tue, Aug 12th, 2014 at 04:59 PM.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Lyssia510 as Frugalbigmama has said I also will not buy any produce that does not look firm and fresh UNLESS I am scouring that great damage rack for sales on stuff I am going to take home and use up that day or the next.
    Regular priced produce should be lasting more than a day in the fridge. Possibility that your crisper below is not cold enough?
    Oh and I know that some people have had success with those green plastic produce bags that help foods stay fresher longer.
    I think if I were having that issue I might show some of the stuff that each store is displaying to the produce manager.
    Mention that you have had problems finding good quality produce there before, see what they tell you. There may be a reason??
    Last edited by walkonby; Tue, Aug 12th, 2014 at 04:29 PM.
    Natalka and ticul like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes I've noticed too. A few times I've bought produce at Extra Foods. Looks healthy on the outside, ends up rotten inside. I refuse to buy produce at Extra Foods. I never see anyone stocking.

Safeway and Walmart I haven't experienced problems. There always seems to be people removing and stocking produce.
    ticul likes this.

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Funny tip, wrap the ends of your bananas in plastic wrap to keep them longer. By ends I mean the part where they are all connected, where they are attached to the tree.

~~I'm married to a produce manager with 22 years experience~~
    Last edited by OgresWife; Tue, Aug 12th, 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Ugh I bought some corn that was on a tray that was packaged at the farm. It looked fine but I just opened it and the bottom sides are all dried up!!!!!!
    ticul and Durham Couponer like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Yup..I have noticed it too.

not only the produce is crappy , the price is higher too, these days.

Wal Mart seems to be the worst !

I have to really dig in , before getting some good apples , peaches , green peppers , egg plant etc.
    ticul likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Yes I have noticed this too!!!! Even expensive stores like Sobeys and Loblaws. I wonder if there is a crop issue?

It is so annoying, I go with a huge list of stuff and walk out with practically nothing because the food is already bruised (sometimes even rotten). Longo's is one of the few places that doesn't have this problem (but you'll pay for it).
    True , I find Longos produce to be very nice ..but usually twice as expensive.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I'm surprised actually as Walmart is generally pretty good with produce. The only things I will not buy from there are berries as they just don't sell them as fast as they go bad. Another store I go to for produce often is superstore as they seem to sell a lot that they are constantly restocking and have good quality. No frills have always been a no go no matter where in the province I am and having spoken to family members they always agree with me.

It could also be if you live in a small town and there are a lot of competing grocery stores but not as many customers therefore the produce doesn't sell quick enough. I've noticed that where I am in the fall/winter/spring when we don't have all the cottagers and vacationers around.
    ticul likes this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Thanks everyone for the tips! My kids LOVE berries which is the only reason why I buy half decent looking ones because I'll hear about it if we don't have strawberries/blueberries/raspberries in the house, and I only buy enough to last us 2 days,
    I honestly don't think I've seen a red strawberry since February, and that includes the local ones from the farmers market, so maybe it is just a bad crop this year.
    torontogal12 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information