User Tag List

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree5611Likes

Thread: Thankful for Savings - October 2014 Frugal chatter thread

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Good morning!

Brrr.. starting the morning at Zero outside! Well, at least there is no snow on the ground.
    It's quite common for us to have already had a snowfall by this time, which would have melted.

We just always hope it holds off for after Hallowe'en - though it's usually cold then, and sometimes rainy. Feel badly for the kids, otherwise. However, everyone here knows you plan the costumes around wearing a jacket!

About allowances, when our son was young we didn't give one, we would just buy treats for him and the occasional thingee while out shopping.
    I don't remember the age, but once he was old enough to go places on his own - we started giving him an allowance - and it was purely for 'walking around money'.
    We didn't tie allowance to chores or grades. He knew that chores were just expected as being a part of the family and looking after the house.

He started working part time in grade nine, so that did change things a bit. By then, he was a very good saver, and that's how he'd end up getting the 'bigger' stuff he wanted.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie bargain View Post
    SS-oh I didn't realize that show was no longer produced. And you are right in that they were able to get some people consumer debt free within 3 years. Yes wouldn't it be nice to pay off a mortgage that fast-in our dreams! I am sorry you don't have better quality childcare closer to your home and I hear you when you have one vehicle- it is economical but not always as convenient!
    I think the people that they can't help get screened out. It doesn't make for good TV to have frugal people on that show!

Right now with the cooler weather approaching, I'm struggling to keep LO's mittens on. Daycare has had her out on 30 minute walks with no shoes, no hat, no mittens and a temperature around 8C on a day with a cold wind. I caught them when I arrived earlier than usual one day.

To all the mums with LOs, how do you keep mittens on?! When I take her home in the stroller, it can take over 40 minutes. Right now, there's a leg and feet cover to block the wind attached and I'm no longer worried that she will lose her shoes. In the past, she's taken off both shoes and socks and tossed them over the stroller. Once, I had to walk all the way back to the daycare to find them! She loves taking off her hat and sunglasses too.

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    mind you my son saved as a teenager really well -my daughter another storey-always the latest makeup,clothing etc-but all in all we told them always pay off your credit card and they both follow this rule today (the odd time daughter/hubby has had a bit on hers )-but now that my daughter is 32 i am proud to hear she has a trip fund and a baby fund set up (for the future)plus she live in toronto -expensive city for most
    Strangely enough, I found Toronto really cheap, unless you go out a lot or have a lot of friends. That part was hard as we had a lot of good friends and there were a lot of meetups, events, birthdays, etc. The food is well priced, the transportation can get you anywhere (very decent timing on the subway to never need a car), and the access to fitness is amazing.

In Toronto, I could pay $104 annually for a fitness pass that would include two exercise classes, use of a running track, gym, and swimming three times a week (five if I wanted). For the same facilities, I would have to pay well over $800 now, plus transportation, so needless to say, I just stopped exercising period. I miss Toronto sometimes.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

We never had an allowance when I was a kid. Doing chores...dishes, dusting, cutting grass was expected.

Hubby and I were both used to having our own money so when we got married we kept our bank accounts but changed them to joint so they won`t be frozen if either one of us dies. We are each responsible for paying some bills. He has a higher income so mortgage payment, heat, hydro insurance, groceries, taxes, car repairs and gas. I pay phone, cable and internet, drug deductible OTC meds, gifts. We each buy our own clothing, massages and any other things we might want. I`m sure I`ve probably forgotten some things but this works for us.
    Natalka, Ciel, coupon girl and 3 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Bobbygirl- I have a "misc" category in my budget that covers the stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else (haircuts, money for donation, (sponsorship for fundraiser, buy chocolate almonds lol) Sometimes I buy a gallon of paint with it lol, or just use it to cover extras on the budget (spent more on groceries, or my cell bill was more etc)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    75 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Right now with the cooler weather approaching, I'm struggling to keep LO's mittens on. Daycare has had her out on 30 minute walks with no shoes, no hat, no mittens and a temperature around 8C on a day with a cold wind. I caught them when I arrived earlier than usual one day.

To all the mums with LOs, how do you keep mittens on?! When I take her home in the stroller, it can take over 40 minutes. Right now, there's a leg and feet cover to block the wind attached and I'm no longer worried that she will lose her shoes. In the past, she's taken off both shoes and socks and tossed them over the stroller. Once, I had to walk all the way back to the daycare to find them! She loves taking off her hat and sunglasses too.
    As a daycare provider and Mom this is a problem I have had with every single child around the age of 1 - 3. These are some tips that have worked for me:

Mitts: buy or knit your own mitts for LO that are connected with a string. I found some at the dollar store before but they did not last very long so then I had a crafty friend knit a whole bunch for me. She came up with the idea of making the mitts extra long so that they fit half way up their arms so they are harder to pull off and even if they pull them off they can't throw them away because they are attached together by the string. The trick is to put the mitts on before you put their coat on. Even if you don't have mitts that are attached together, having longer mitts and putting the mitts on before you put their coat on will make it more difficult to get them off. Another option I've used is diaper pins (the kind you use for cloth diapers) to pin the mitts to their jackets. Diaper pins are safer than safety pins as they have a child proof plastic end to them so that kids cannot open the pin and hurt themselves.

Boots: Generally if they can't get their mitts off it is much more difficult to get their boots off lol. But a general rule I follow is to let kids learn the hard way that if you take your boots/shoes off you don't get them back and your feet will get cold. Otherwise if you keep stopping and putting their shoes back on they think its a fun game lol.

If it is extremely cold and I still have to take them outside to go pick up or drop off at the school I would bundle them up really good in the stroller with extra blankets (in addition to snow suit, mitts, boots etc...). Bundling them up will also make it more difficult to remove hats, boots, mitts etc...

Hope that helps

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Happy dance, we just got our tax refund for 2013! I filed late September and I completely forgot to include the receipts for our medical expenses which were well over $3,000 last year. I really thought they would contact us for the receipts but it would have been a pain to copy them all.

I gave DH our tax forms to put back and he's somehow "lost" them so any questions they had would have been hard to look up. Thank goodness for bank statements and T4s sent to the government by banks and work!

On the topic for budgets, I have a category for most everything. Haircuts, donations, home repairs (everything from screws to painter's tape goes in this category), etc. We don't have a misc. category, but every time we have something a little odd, I make a note. When I had to have my wedding ring serviced (it got damaged and the stone chipped), I put it under home repair with a note to explain the cost.

Our budget isn't really a budget as much as it is just keeping track of what we spend on. I can't control DH's Tim Horton's expenses. He decides what he needs to arrive home alive, and I just try to make sure I don't buy anything outside of my list unless I know we need it, or it's a treat that we've been looking forward to. At the end of the month, I just let DH know if any expenses were out of line from last month and that sort of thing. We're not chronic shoppers and nor do we go out much. LOs have a way of changing that.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbiegirl2010 View Post
    Mitts: buy or knit your own mitts for LO that are connected with a string. I found some at the dollar store before but they did not last very long so then I had a crafty friend knit a whole bunch for me. She came up with the idea of making the mitts extra long so that they fit half way up their arms so they are harder to pull off and even if they pull them off they can't throw them away because they are attached together by the string. The trick is to put the mitts on before you put their coat on. Even if you don't have mitts that are attached together, having longer mitts and putting the mitts on before you put their coat on will make it more difficult to get them off. Another option I've used is diaper pins (the kind you use for cloth diapers) to pin the mitts to their jackets. Diaper pins are safer than safety pins as they have a child proof plastic end to them so that kids cannot open the pin and hurt themselves.

Boots: Generally if they can't get their mitts off it is much more difficult to get their boots off lol. But a general rule I follow is to let kids learn the hard way that if you take your boots/shoes off you don't get them back and your feet will get cold. Otherwise if you keep stopping and putting their shoes back on they think its a fun game lol.
    Thank you! I've heard that mittens with string are no longer allowed at daycares for the strangulation hazard, but I'm not sure if that's true. The diaper pins are a great idea, and I might try the yarn with a pair of mittens that have the plastic connectors on them for the trip home. The loose mittens she can keep at daycare.

I have taken her mittens away when she's tossed them for the 40th time and we're close to home. I'm not sure she understands the consequence of being cold at 15 months. She can sometimes get them off again (mittens, socks, hat) before I've even taken the safety lock off the stroller wheels. Now she's discovered she can pull mittens off with her teeth. Smart little monkey...

bobbiegirl2010, you may be a warm hands lifesaver. My friend told me that if her kids don't keep things on, they go right back in the house (hers are under 3) and her 1.5 year old understands. It doesn't work when you have to walk home from daycare though. No choice in that matter! Once the snow falls, or it gets dark on the way home, we'll have to take the bus, which takes just as long as walking (go figure!) but offers some safety and a few minutes of warmth.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

sweet sparrow. im there with ya. lost so many mitts, shoes, hats, etc when the kids were younger, duct tape came in handy kidding!!

as for our budget / CC stuff.
    dh takes care of it all quite well. never worry.
    our kids don't get allowances either. they need to learn when your a grown up that you don't get paid to take care of your home.

well i was off early this morning to go to a very large rummage sale. my word. 3 HUGE bags full of awesome finds.
    if i had of taken the car probably would have bought more. taking the bus made me frugal
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

SS-you could also try a warm pair of baby kneesocks under her jacket( or maybe tights-I don't think they would be a choking hazard resting up against her chest?) as she probably doesn't need her thumb out on the walk home. Also be sure and give her lots of praise and attention for keeping boots and mittens on or whipping them off may qucikly become a surefire way of getting your attention! By the way it does not sound like you need to work out if you work, have a little one and walk her home in the stroller! Not to mention make dinner, clean house etc!

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    sweet sparrow. im there with ya. lost so many mitts, shoes, hats, etc when the kids were younger, duct tape came in handy kidding!!
    Oh duct tape crossed my mind yesterday...must be a Canadian thing.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 3 others like this.

momof5boys
    Trading Score
    509 (100%)

What does LO stand for....little one? curious...

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

SS-you could also try a warm pair of baby kneesocks under her jacket( or maybe tights-I don't think they would be a choking hazard resting up against her chest?) as she probably doesn't need her thumb out on the walk home. Also be sure and give her lots of praise and attention for keeping boots and mittens on or whipping them off may qucikly become a surefire way of getting your attention! By the way it does not sound like you need to work out if you work, have a little one and walk her home in the stroller! Not to mention make dinner, clean house etc!
    Socks are thinner than her mittens and I haven't seen kneesocks in the stores. I'm pretty sure she's treating it as a game as she holds out her hand for me to put them back on afterwards.

Oh, I was not looking to work out for the sake of working out before. When I lived in TO, I wanted to learn how to swim because I had a huge fear of water. I took a weekly exercise class to build endurance so I could make it to the other side of the pool. Any half hour swims during weekdays were just to increase my comfort with the water.

Nowadays, I walk (quickly) to her daycare because it's just as fast on the bus with all the transfers, unless it's bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by momof5boys View Post
    What does LO stand for....little one? curious...
    Sorry, yes. Little one or little ones, in your case.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

sweet sparrow congrats on your tax refund my friend
    Crochetlady, Ciel and SassyAshley like this.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Ashley, I think I would suggest just letting your Mum wash her own sheets when she feels the need. I would definitely want help with the housework unless my Mum was disabled( which she was for a time this summer after her fall) so I did wait on her hand and foot for a few weeks and now she is again able to still do for herself at 82. Anyway just my opinion-it sounds to me like you are really pushing yourself at work and at home and yet still perhaps not being fully appreciated. Time for you to slow down a bit and have some me time-and if your Mum gets cranky she can take out her frustrations on the dishes or bathroom! Boy I sound really tough don't I- Certainly if a person is elderly or disabled I get that they need help but it sounds like your Mum is able to do more at home? Take care. L
    Quote Originally Posted by Crochetlady View Post
    Well I didn`t get to Zehrs. She said come early...we always play aggravation and today we got thoroughly trounced. The guys always win more than we do but today if you looked up pathetic in the dictionary you would have seen our pictures. lol

@ Nancy Congrats on selling your trailer.

@ Ashley Hang in there. I never had my mother live with me, thank goodness. I know it wouldn`t have worked, our lifestyles were way too different. I agree with Lizzie...let her do her own thing and demand some help with the everyday chores. You can`t do everything...you are only one person and deserve to have some time for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andit View Post
    I've met people through all sorts of different avenues. The friends I was supposed to have lunch with yesterday, I met them on a local forum discussing dogs (joined it 10ish years ago when I first got Lily dog) and one person suggested meeting at a restaurant to put a face to a name. Next thing you know, 10 yrs pass by and a core group of us are getting together regularly to chat about religion, politics, health, tv, everything under the sun. Oh & dogs.

Another group of friends I get together with weekly, I met them when one gal held a free workshop in my building on making jewelry. Every Monday we get together to make pretty baubles, talk about all sorts of things, and eat. How else can we keep our strength up if we're not snacking?

I've met friends through classes I've taken, volunteering, places I've worked, the brats I live with (there are very few people who don't walk up to an oddball with a cat on a leash ), the internet. Lots of places to meet folks. Oh & I'm not much of an extrovert, I'm fairly shy (less so as I get older).

Do you have any clubs? Night school courses (not necessarily term classes, but lectures as well)? How about a Sunday afternoon cooking class (my local Loblaws offers these)? Somewhere you can volunteer? Some places don't need long term commitment, a day or 2 a month works for them. Or doing something online, then a party at the end of the year to meet other volunteers. What about your neighbours? Any of them friendly? And age isn't a factor - I have friends who range from 20 to 77 (I'm 46).

And these are also places to potentially meet a significant other. I know one couple who met through a gardening club in their neighbourhood. Another friend met her bf while walking her dog (she actually met his mother, struck up a friendship and when her son came over for a visit, bingo). Another friend met her DH while shopping for books - she was a regular in the store, the owner was on the phone with his son, and when she went to pay, he handed her the phone and said "I won't let you buy this book unless you go out with my son" (they've been married nearly 20 yrs). One classmate of mine went to a club, a boy spilled a drink on her, 27 yrs later they're still happily married. A gal I know took in a boarder to help pay her mortgage - a year later I got an invite to the wedding. I met one bf through work (not the best idea), another through volunteering (he was the volunteer co-ordinator). In other words, lots of places to meet someone special.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    That's terrific! We also need to replace some of our doors and windows. Our neighbour talked us out of it because he made us second guess whether we were getting them done because we wanted new ones or if we could just add a little insulation. Yesterday, condensation was running down the one window like a stream, and our one side door does not fit the frame, letting in a lot of cold air. Still, we're hesitant because getting them fixed would cost several thousands. Maybe we'll get it fixed as our anniversary/Christmas gift...it's just so expensive.

Ashley, you know if you were physically close to any of us, we'd all hang out with you. You're a great person, sound like a lot of fun, and we all have wanting to be frugal in common. I'm waiting to hear you tell us a While You Were Sleeping sort of story, working out either one way or the other. I'm such a sucker for romantic comedies. We're rooting for you to be happy. If things didn't happen with your friend before, you probably weren't ready. Try not to overthink things, which is so easy when you're alone. Things have a way of working themselves out, just not at the exact time we expect.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    I completely get ya on that one Nancy. my kids were the same.. the last time they went together with my parents. that was it.
    well heard back from a recent job app. waiting to hear back when they want to see me. part of me doesn't want to screw this up as we need the money.
    the other half says forget this year. dh is on holidays soon. (although i know if i worked he'd be having a hey day on his holidays and have the house ready by himself, dinner would b ready everyday).. im so tempted.
    just not sure. its only seasonal. what to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!!

Do you have a debt repayment plan or course of action? Is it paycheque based, monthly based or do you pay the minimum or whatever you can afford, or do you put whatever is left at the end of the month on your debt?

And if you are debt free (lucky duckies) whatever your interpretation is of being debt free it could include being mortgage free or not counting your mortgage, not having a car payment, student loans are paid off, have you redirected or funneled the debt repayment amount into another debt repayment, rainy day fund, retirement savings, education fund, home renovations, travel, emergency fund, etc......sky is the limit!!!!

Do you have any advice for debt repayment for your fellow frugal friends besides not incurring debt
    I hear you FBM-when you have kids at home you are always shelling out whether it be school or sport fees or a special outfit for the band concerts, award or grad ceremony, gifts for friend's birthday parties etc. Oh and my daugher suddenly announced last night she needed a $150 calculator for her grade 10 math course. Fortunately we have enough in our monthly budget and savings to cover such expenses but I did say to my DH how do low income parents pay for school fees etc especially if they have multiple children? I think our high school has a fee waiver in place if you can't afford the school supply fees etc but it has a very low cutoff rate of something like $29,000 for a couple with one child so is definitely geared to very low as opposed to moderate income famillies.

So far in 7 weeks of high school we have paid

$262 instructional resource fee-mandatory
    $250 band supply fee( compulsory if your child is in band)
    $260 band camp( this one was optional)
    $41 per month for a subsidized bus pass as the high school is too far away to walk
    $70 for gym( $10 for a mandatory gym t-shirt) and $60 for optional off site gym activities like rock climbing etc
    $60 the other day for dress pants and dress shoes for the band concerts( the shirt, tie and vest are loaned by the school and must be dry cleaned at the end of the year and returned or you will be charged $100.

This is all in a public high school-not private. I know elementary parents have to pay for bus transportation and noon hour supervision unless they live close to a school that has room for their child-although I think rural kids get this for free.

Anyway just saying I don't know how low to mid income families do it with multiple children-or maybe Calgary is more costly than other places. This does not include any extra curricular sports, requests to buy chocolates etc to raise money for the band, purchase school pics or school insurance etc. Parents, at least here, are certainly inundated with requests to spend.

Granted we used to pay private school fees for elemenatry school so our school fees have dropped significantly this year- but I guess the days of a free public education are long gone-at least around here and perhaps in your neck of the woods too.
    Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Inquiring Minds Want to Know!!!

**** You don't have to answer the questions if you don't want to - absolutely no pressure to participate.

What are your thoughts on spending $ or as some others call it an allowance for adults & kids.

If your kids get an allowance, do they do chores or something to earn it? And what types of things are they expected to spend their allowances on?

Do you budget for it? if there is the $ to budget with?

Perhaps in the past you got spending $ but at this moment you cannot and that's okay.

In your budget is it a fixed expense/need in your budget and that's okay too? or do you have in another catergory as budgets are all personalized to each individual.
    To answer/respond too at home as it is it time to finish up my day so I can head home as it should be a fun night (will explain later).
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, Oct 24th, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Afternoon all,

DH got back last night during the night, I asked MIL last night if she could drive me to pick up some 2nd hand school uniforms tops at someone's house this am before Logan's doctor appointment to get his DTC questionnaire filled out. So I got 2 shirts for $15.00 these are $27.99 each but I will admit 1 of them is okay (a few pull marks I didn't notice) and the other is mint condition but for that price I won't complain.

Then the doctor was in a great mood (phew) she is great 1 day and nasty the next and thank goodness today was another great day mood wise as I have been waiting for these to be completed since June . So now I sit and wait 6-8 weeks to see what CCTB and DTC say (fingers crossed) it's a go otherwise I need to repay them which I am already doing but it would be so nice to not have this debt as they sent me the $ before he was actually approved.

Then came home and realized I had more in my freezers than I thought (not complaining) but we need to pick up our moose meat tomorrow, the total weight cut & wrapped was 442 pounds, so we get 221lbs and FIL get's this 221lbs.

Also going to pick up a pair of dress pants and top again school uniforms which a lady is giving to me for free as she has had them posted since August and only has a few things left, so hoping the stuff fits Jaden if not positive thought is they will likely fit Logan when he goes soon enough.

So tonights dinner consisted of a bunch of odds and ends, small packages of meats frozen, asparagus, yellow beans all which I pulled from the freezer as I need the room.

I pulled a turkey to cook on the weekend as a late Thanksgiving dinner with the boys and dh as he was away.

Wishing everyone a wonderful evening and I'll check in later when I get the laptop back from the kiddos.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Page 41 of 57 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information