User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Amazon : Inflated Regular Prices to make it look like a deal, when on sale.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Is it just me , or are Amazon's regular prices inflated a lot to make it look like a deal, when they say 50 % off , 75 % off etc.

I know lot of retailer's do that , but Amazon seems to be way up there with these jacked up regular prices.

I don't even know , when they have sold at these so called regular prices.
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've noticed that too.

I've also noticed that when they use those inflated prices to say things are 75%, that the sale price tends to be maybe only a dollar or two cheaper than what you can find in stores. You really have to do your research before buying.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

**Cough** Sears....

Current user title here.
    Trading Score
    17 (100%)

**Cough** Canadian Tire....

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:46 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Wal Mart atleast seems to be generally honest with their regular prices. Not sure , but I think Target is good too & seem to have genuine sales & discounts.

So if its a sale or clearance price at WM , usually its a REAL sale on not some fake discount.
    GoJays, macw1960 and Decaf like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This goes back a bit, but I had to buy a specialized finish remover (in between wax and varnish) for a hardwood floor. It came from Europe. The North American distributor charged me $75 US for the first bottle, but I got the same product from Amazon for $25 US, so sometimes it works out.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

This happened to me with a DVD. It was $28.99 and I was waiting to place a big order for the holidays and have everything charged at once. Well it was $28.99 for maybe 3 months and now it's $50.

I actually need it now so I'll buy it for $28.99 at Futureshop (where it still costs that much). I'll probably buy all the other stuff when I'm there. Lost sale, Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    Listen, I put a stir fry pan in my cart at Amazon and saw the price creep, dollar by dollar, from $29.99 to $49.99 in honour of the holidays. I'm not buying anything there until next year or until that pan goes back below $30.

Canadian Tire has crazy 70% off deals that I consider "regular price" because those items go on sale like clockwork.
    macw1960 and GatineauGirl like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

when I use to work at the call centre that was home for Bestbuy and Future Shop - we use to have a program that with the sku number we could see how prices went up and down - and when. Plus what they bought it for and how much they are selling it for. I noticed that on computers and high end sound systems they would inflate the regular price then boxing day people thought wow I am saving money. In reality they didn't and FS still made a lot of money from you. That is why I don't ever buy accessories from them or any high end things. I know other contracts in the same building were shoppers and few other retail places and they all had a similar program

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Happened to me, My mom really wanted a Chair Gym which was priced at $149.99 for 4 months. I went to order it (once I had enough giftcards from Swagbucks) and the price jumped to $199.99 which put it out of our budget. Even if price drops we have decided we will not purchase.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yup..lot of nonsense at Amazon.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I think when any retailer uses the term "manufacturer's suggested retail price" or words to that effect, it's very deceiving...no one sells items at that price. There's a watch line Amaxon sells...."reg" prices around $500 , on "sale" for $75 for examples...googling that watch reveals that every retailer sells that watch line at those low prices! I find that very deceitful.
    macw1960 and GatineauGirl like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I shop a lot at Amazon...You def need to do your research and know your prices before purchasing from them. I have scored a ton of amazing deals from Amazon.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Amazon.ca is losing me as an active customer because of these sorts of shenanigans. I have bought the "Prime" status from them since it began, but will not renew. There are too many "add-on" items that require you to spend over $25 anyway. I find it difficult to reach their customer service, and do not get a satisfactory result when I do (lack of follow-up.) What annoys me the most, though, is this inflating of prices. It is insulting and misleading. I agree that you need to do your research, but I do not trust them anymore.

Oh....and there seems to always be, "Only 1 left."
    Last edited by GatineauGirl; Mon, Dec 15th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
    macw1960, lecale and Decaf like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Last edited by lecale; Sat, Jan 17th, 2015 at 11:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information