Like Tree62Likes

Thread: QotD: 05 Mar 2015: Lending your stuff to others

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Name:  03-05-2015.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  67.0 KB
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by danger_dan; Fri, Mar 6th, 2015 at 06:57 AM.
    Andit, Shwa Girl, ticul and 2 others like this.
    DANGER

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

The only things I've ever lent to others were books, and unfortunately some never made it back to me. I'd never lend money, so don't even ask.....

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I was brought up with the adage, "Neither a borrower nor a lender be". Lending things can create a precedent for being used and your belongings taken or damaged, and asking to borrow (from my family's persective) is a form of imposing on other people. I understand that this perspective seems odd to many people. What can I say? My background is WASPy. I avoid lending things (except to very good friends), and I honestly can't remember the last time I borrowed something. Even when I borrow from the library, I feel edgy until I have returned what I have taken out! *L*

The few times I have lent things (usually books, some of them expensive or out-of-print), they have either been returned with folded pages and with stains/damage, or I have had to repeatedly ask (badger) the person to have my things back. It boggles my mind that people don't treat borrowed property with much more care than they treat their own belongings. I had a dorm room-mate my first year in university who would just "borrow" things without asking - everything from body lotion to my word processor. Just unreal to me.

One of the positive exceptions to this is a friend of my DH's who regularly borrows the whippersnipper. He always returns it promptly, and if it's low on gas when he's finished, he tops it up, which is really considerate.
    Andit, Natalka, Tweets77 and 4 others like this.

Trading Score
    726 (100%)

I don't lend things unless I don't want them. I've learned that you either never get them back or they're damaged when you do.

The only exception would be my mom. We borrow stuff from each other and give it back promptly.

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I just went through another round of weirdness with loaning things the other day. Someone wanted to use something of mine, but I had lent it to someone else. The would-be borrower (who had used the item many times before) expected me to get it back from the current borrower, cause she needed it only for a little while. Um, no.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Depends who I'm lending things to. Some people are good at returning them right after they've done with them and in good condition. My SIL kept some stuff for 4 years until she'd forgot where she put them and when she finally found them somewhere in her basement, they were damaged, dirty or she lent them to other people without asking me first. Some I just never got back.
    Now I only lend her things that I won't mind not getting back or if she asks for something in particular, I put a reminder in my calendar and I ask her if she's done with it after a while to make sure I get it back. I wouldn't let things go to the point of us forgetting about it.

I don't usually borrow anything unless I really need to. If DH and I we need something we just buy it. If I borrow something I make sure I return it clean and in good condition.

I have no problem lending stuff to my mom. We lend each other clothes, shoes and accessories.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

when i lend something to a friend, I generally don't get it back

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    The only things I've ever lent to others were books, and unfortunately some never made it back to me. I'd never lend money, so don't even ask.....
    same here
    lent a library book to a friend a while ago
    friend lost the book
    paid the fine

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think I made out better in this deal... a friend and I had basically come to the end of the friendship (we just sorta stopped talking) and I ended up with a printer (which prints all my coupons) and she ended up with a couple of my dvds and a sweater.

I'm sure most have seen on the internet that a good way to keep track of who has your stuff is to use your cellphone to take a photo with them and your item.
    Last edited by padyofurniture; Thu, Mar 5th, 2015 at 04:40 PM.
    danger_dan and TooCouponCrazy like this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I did a lot of lending/borrowing in high school, especially with clothing. "I have "xyz" event, can I borrow that cute pink sweater to wear with my dress pants?" I can honestly say with my couple of close friends we never had any problems with stuff getting wrecked or lost.

Now I don't do as much borrowing/lending. Mostly books to friends/family and honestly if they don't make it back its not a big deal since they tend to sit on a shelf and collect dust after I've read them. I have lent my expensive curling wands and triple barrel to friends who don't have one, usually they just want to borrow for a special occasion. I don't borrow much anymore, if it is something I'm only going to use once quickly I will try to borrow, but mostly I just buy second hand and re-sell when done.

One thing I do borrow often is tools from DH & my brother :D

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I don't lend things anymore. Too many items disappeared, came back broken etc. I understand if it's an accident, but some people are just plain careless, disrespectful with items that don't belong to them. No more! I rarely ask to borrow items. If so, they are returned right away in good condition (usually books).
    danger_dan, beckie.c and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i don't lend anything to anyone..... unless it's no use to me.
    danger_dan, Stifler and terry2144 like this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I learned this lesson young when I lent a cook book to someone. When it was returned it had no cover and food stains. I will still lend stuff but only if its replaceable. When someone lends me a book I keep it in a freezer bag and I hold it while reading differently than one I own. I don't bend or fold it in any new way. Its an expression of ...hey thanks for lending this to me. i'm going to return it in the same condition.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I too have have bad experiences with lending things (broken, missing, forgotten). I have difficulties trusting people.
    danger_dan likes this.

Stifler
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

saveadollardiva likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information