User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    58 (98%)

dd was born December 1,2007. She is turning 3 this year and I am wondering when I should put her in school. So in a few months next year she will turn 4....do i put her in school for the next September or when she is 3 turning 4 ? or when she is 5?

I am thinking the answer might be 4 turning 5 but not really sure
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

There's a choice to send your child to school at age three? I wouldn't send them THAT young.

Where I live, you start school the year you turn five, whether your birthday is in January or December.

Z

Trading Score
    118 (100%)

Look into it locally. I believe they have a system where Dec 31 of that school year (starting in Seotember) is a cut-off of turning 5. So you're in with my daughter... she turned 3 at the end of July. So September 2012... they should start kindergarten. My daughter will be newly 5 and yours will be 5 that December. But again, check into it.. it may have changed. I remember hearing things had changed when I was in school... and always remembered this one girl, same grade as I, that was younger than me... her bday was Feb... mine is Sept. So if we blast back in time, she would have had to wait to start school...

as far as my knowedlege goes.
    Last edited by SmackUTwice; Mon, Sep 27th, 2010 at 08:26 AM.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Yup, for K it depends upon what the cutoff birthday is for your school division. Just call the school and ask the secretary.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Because you are in Ontario, she can start JK next year (i.e. they start JK when they are turning 4 in that calendar year. Because in 2011 she'll be turning 4, she is eligible. That being said, it's totally your choice whether to send her (it's not mandatory) and some parents do not send their kids for another year. It really depends on how comfortable you are about whether you think she's ready or not at that time. My sister was a December baby (13th) and started in JK and another of DD's friends is the same.

Trading Score
    18 (100%)

My niece is 3, she turns 4 at the end of Oct but she started half day school this year and loves it!

Trading Score
    211 (100%)

I know for us my son is born January 2007, so I will be putting him in kindergarten in September 2012 when he will be 5 and a half.
    Last edited by BuggaBugga; Mon, Sep 27th, 2010 at 01:31 PM.
    Amazon and Starbucks GiftCards for Searching the net? Yes I did and so can you!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/canadianbugga

Trading Score
    115 (100%)

My son's birthday is at the end of October so he started Junior Kindergarten last year at age 3 and loved it. He is very eager to learn and honestly the JK & SK curriculum is a bit slow for him because I taught him a lot before he attended school.

That being said, my 3 year old daughter will turn 4 next July and is eligible to start JK September 2011 and as of right now she is nowhere near ready to go. I think it all depends on the child.
    Last edited by jessandjake2005; Tue, Sep 28th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Trading Score
    445 (99%)

Nicholas is able to go to Junior Kindergarten when he is 3 going on 4 (October 2012)... again its not mandatory. It will all depend on his development & my comfort whether he goes or not!! lol Plus another girl I watch would be starting the same year, she would be 4 (February 2012) but they would both be in the same JK class, same year (Septmeber 2012).

ALSO if you are in Ontario & the local school is one of the ones with all day every day JK, they have a teacher, Educational assistant and early childhood educator in each class. My sonc school is starting all day.every day JK next year.
    Last edited by cmoody8107; Tue, Sep 28th, 2010 at 03:01 PM.
    SWAGBUCKS!!! Earn gift cards for searching & doing surveys!
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/cmoody8107

Check out my Wishlist!
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/239234-cmoodys-wishlist-canada/

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

My youngest was a December baby. She started JK (in Ontario) in September at 3 and 3/4 years old. It was made easier for us (and her) that she had an older sister going to school. Otherwise, I think if she'd been the oldest child (and didn't have a sibling to run to), we might've waited. It's hard to say.

Anyway, she did just fine at 3. Turns out, there was a rush of December babies in her class. We thought she'd be the youngest kid there, but there were 5 or 6 other kids with December birthdays too. (lol. Poor teacher!!!)

Call the school and ask about your options. I think you are able in this province to opt to wait. (That is, you won't have the school police knocking on your door because your 3 year old isn't in school on the first day of September. lol)

You could consider a January start instead of the September start--that is--wait til the 4th birthday before starting school...though, by January, all the other kids will have had 4+ months in school together to form friendships etc, so that is a consideration as well.

Another consideration is whether or not your school has full day, every day kindergarten yet...though, I think you can also opt out of that if you want & only send them every other day. We don't have full day every day kindergarten at our school and for that, I'm grateful. Because 3 years old seems WAY too young to have them going every day, in my opinion anyway.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll make the best decision for you at the time!
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

toodles is a month older.. i'm putting her in kindy at 4 turning 5, we're thinking preschool next year.. a number of the kids from her baby group (same age) are in preschool this year but i didn't want to do preschool two years in a row, i just want to enjoy her (the selfish part of me doesn't want to let go of her yet to send to any type of school pre or otherwise.. though we'll be starting a classes-i'm thinkin gballet- after christmas)
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Trading Score
    58 (98%)

OK,thansk for all the advice. i think i'll go with the september after she turns 4 (5 in a few months after anyways). I kinda want to send her to pre school as well or something but i don't want to lose her too early here either,lol. They change so much in school from what I can remember.

I definately don't like the full day kindergarden,lol. I am just going to try picking her up at lunch anyways or send her just in the afternoon or something. I don't think that they could really do anything about it since i've read they don't legally have to start until age 6 maximum. & whos going to fail kindergarden?lol.
    https://legerweb.com/VADJC Join Leger Web And Start Earning Today =)

34591328S1 Sign Up at ING Direct With This ORange Key To Receive Free $50

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

my oldest had just turned 4 when he started school his birthday is early Sept and my little guy was 3 his birthday is at the end of Nov although it was hard because they are so little it's great for them a little bit of learning and some learning too

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    49 (100%)

wow I am now lost my girl just turned 3 Aug 20th born in 2007 so would she start next year or the year after????

Trading Score
    569 (100%)

My DD is 3 turning 4 on Oct.8 and I sent her to kindergarden this year three afternoon a week.It is offered to us and we pay $150 a month for it.She doesn't go to daycare and has no kids her age to play with so i feel it is good for her to learn how to be away from Mommy and Daddy for a little whille and play with kids her own age. Next fall she will start primary at the same school in which the kindergarden is offered so it will not be a strange and scary place for her.My youngest DD's birthday is on Nov.24th when she will be 2.I think I will follow the same path with her as well. Ever kid is different and what every choice you make I am sure there will be someone to tell you you are whong!!LOL!! But they are your kids and you know what is best.Best of luck in you decission.
    Want free Christmas shopping???
    get giftcards to Amazon!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information