User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

i'm just curious what everyone pays for groceries every month (including: food, beverages, pet food/litter, baby food/formula/snacks/diapers, household products like cleaners, and health & beauty items).

we spend $250 per month right now. there is 2 adults, 1 14 month old, 3 cats and 2 large dogs. i'm thinking we will have to bump it up to $300 soon because we really want to start eating healthier and dang that healthy food is expensive!

*note, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this! its dealing with money, that's why i posted it here.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by mrsjanuary; Thu, Sep 30th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I asked this recently, it really varies. I know we spend a lot more on the pets than you do because they are on special diets, so excluding them, we spent about $250 a month
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have no idea since...well I haven't really gone grocery shopping in two months (lazy) and in terms of my stinker's food, I keep getting free food at work (yay), but if I were paying for it it's about 25$ for an 8lb bag (holistic, but once my free bag dries up, I'm thinking of switching her to a grain free food, so that'll be more, I think 16$ for a 5lb bag).

Edit: my stinker is a cat, and she doesn't stink anymore, in so much as it was the male cat at my last place who stunk up her litter box (ew).
    Last edited by lekate; Thu, Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:19 AM.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

For food, less than $200 - for three adults (me and two always hungry men!). I cook everything, except for takeout maybe three times a month. No lunches or coffees out!
    Cleaners and HBA items - around $10 each per month
    Pets - two cats - litter and food - less than $20, for sure.

There's been a great thread/discussion running on this already -

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/144894-...ceries-canada/
    Last edited by Natalka; Thu, Sep 30th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.

Banned
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

oopsies, sorry gals, i didnt see the other thread!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

np, I asked people to exclude baby / pet / household anyway
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Banned
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

oh ok!

looks like alot of people are around $200-$300 so i dont feel so bad now. i read alot of US freebie sites and those people pay like $100 a month for a fam of 4! so jealous

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

They have a lot more coupons than us and different pricing on groceries. Many grocery stores down there give you coupons for $5 off $50 bill etc if you buy certain products etc as well as the coupons and store discount cards. I don't think we will ever see deals like those
    ~ ~ ~

Banned
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

i know, and i dont understand why we dont get more deals like the ones down in the states. grrr!

tightwad and proud of it! brunt's Avatar
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I spend about 30% of my time in the US. They also have more "bargain" stores. Our favourite is "Amelia's", which has about 20 stores in the Pennsylvania area.

Really cheap - boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1 per pound. Stouffer's meatloaf and gravy - 8 serving tray for $2.99. Cereal for $0.75 per box. Ketchup for $0.25 per bottle. You get the idea. Down there we eat for less than $75 per month for the two of us.

Funny thing is that my employer gives me a daily allowance for food while I am down there for just myself that is $35 per day.

It's insane what people can pay.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post
    I spend about 30% of my time in the US. They also have more "bargain" stores. Our favourite is "Amelia's", which has about 20 stores in the Pennsylvania area.

Really cheap - boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1 per pound. Stouffer's meatloaf and gravy - 8 serving tray for $2.99. Cereal for $0.75 per box. Ketchup for $0.25 per bottle. You get the idea. Down there we eat for less than $75 per month for the two of us.

Funny thing is that my employer gives me a daily allowance for food while I am down there for just myself that is $35 per day.

GREAT !!!
    You are lucky, save as much as you can.
    The price you mentioned, reminds me of past century (I mean over a decade ago)......................
    Who says..."there is deflation"........this is an excellent example of Inflation.

And Govt. excludes food & energy while calculating CPI. This helps them in "intentionally" quoting a lower CPI, so people on fixed income get less raise, people on pension get negligible raise, people unemployed can stay happy as there is no inflation.

Banned
    Trading Score
    192 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by brunt View Post

omg those are some crazy low prices!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    They have a lot more coupons than us and different pricing on groceries. Many grocery stores down there give you coupons for $5 off $50 bill etc if you buy certain products etc as well as the coupons and store discount cards. I don't think we will ever see deals like those
    Plus the stacking in US ..which almost all the US stores accept .

In Canada except LD ( which doesn't really sell groceries ..maybe it sells bread , chips , pop etc like SDM ..not sure ) ..you can't stack anywhere else

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Plus the sales tax in US is also much lower unlike the 13 % HST on pop , chips etc over here .

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    i'm just curious what everyone pays for groceries every month (including: food, beverages, pet food/litter, baby food/formula/snacks/diapers, household products like cleaners, and health & beauty items).

we spend $250 per month right now. there is 2 adults, 1 14 month old, 3 cats and 2 large dogs. i'm thinking we will have to bump it up to $300 soon because we really want to start eating healthier and dang that healthy food is expensive!

*note, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this! its dealing with money, that's why i posted it here.
    Yeah .. I wish they had coupons on apples & oranges instead of junk food like pop , chips , pizza pops etc

Does your budget also include eating out ( nothing fancy ) but just the occasional trip to McDonalds , Tim Hortons etc ?

I have a friend he drinks his coffee @ TH everyday when he goes to work in the morning , plus he grabs a bagel or something .

Also for Lunch , he grabs a pizza slice , subway sandwich or something .

So basically 5 days a week his lunch & breakfast are outside , only eats dinner at home during workdays ... so I bet his grocery bill is less every week but not his total expense if you consider his eating outside

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information