User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    523 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by smartmama View Post
    Thought SDM does not follow SCOP. Can anyone verify this?
    They definitely do follow it - the stickers should be on the doors when you walk in and also near each cash register. Most major stores follow it - Zellers is the one big store that doesn't (except in Quebec where it's a law). This link has a list of stores that follow the code: http://www.retailcouncil.org/advocac...racy02_eng.asp
    ~ Trade List ~ Let's Trade! ~ Wish List ~
    I'm looking for these coupons (and more )
    Purina Cat Chow/Friskies ~ El Monteray ~ Blue Buffalo cans
    Maxx Scoop ~ Fresh Express ~ Cheemo

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Sorry to bother you, but could someone tell me that what SCOP is? Thank you so much!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

First things first: You only get the FIRST of each mistake item free, not ALL mistake items combined to the total of $10, meaning if you bought 2 of something at $5.99 you do not get $10 for both. If the eggs were two for $3, you're only going to get the $1.50, sorry, but the SCOP is not there for customers to screw stores either.

Second: SCOP is only when the REGULAR price is displayed wrong or scans wrong, and it does not have anything to do with computer malfunctions. It is in place to make sure price adjustments are kept up with, NOT for people to abuse for their own gain. I am a cashier and retail stores are run by real people, not usually the owner or the 'evil' corportation. People make mistakes and don't always need a good 'smartening up' as someone so snootily put it. How would you feel if you were a bank teller and you made a typo and I insisted you give me the $1000 you typed in instead of the $100 I gave you to deposit? It is going to come out of your pocket one way or another, in a cashier's case it comes out of our profit sharing, which is really a fancy way of saying it comes out of our benefits. I do not work for SDM but just FYI, you'll get a lot more by approaching it kindly, not with an accusing tone implying that I personally am trying to screw you, which is how most people actually approach it. I'm a human and I don't do the pricing, so please ask nicely and let me/them look into it, don't just accuse them and cause a huge stink if they aren't sure if it applies, it is actually hurtful to the non-robot dealing with you who has real feelings.

Third: If you read the actual policy (which is NOT a law and only applies to stores that AGREED to it, it is not forced on stores) it does not say you get free items if their systems are messed up, only if the price on the shelf is different from the scanned price, and ESPECIALLY not if they have posted that they are having problems. I know everyone likes free stuff but in this case put your greed aside and go easy on them, it sounds like it was a chain wide system malfunction for goodness sake (you can't activate a sale in the computer if the corp master system doesn't have it up yet, each store doesn't manually type all those sales in), I doubt they will consider it a SCOP policy issue, let them fix it, they weren't intentionally trying to screw you (which is what the policy is actually for BTW).
    Last edited by 0PLS; Sun, Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:22 AM.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DixieatCamelot View Post
    Sorry to bother you, but could someone tell me that what SCOP is? Thank you so much!
    Welcome to Sc, theres an entire thread of SCOP here.

http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/18594-s...actice-canada/

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 0PLS View Post
    First things first: You only get the FIRST of each mistake item free, not ALL mistake items combined to the total of $10, meaning of you bought 2 of something at $5.99 you do not get $10 for both. If the eggs were two for $3, you're only going to get the $1.50, sorry, but the SCOP is not there for customers to screw stores either.

Second: SCOP is only when the REGULAR price is displayed wrong or scans wrong, and it does not have anything to do with computer malfunctions. It is in place to make sure price adjustments are kept up with, NOT for people to abuse for their own gain. I am a cashier and retail stores are run by real people, not usually the owner or the 'evil' corportation. People make mistakes and don't always need a good 'smartening up' as someone so snootily put it. How would you feel if you were a bank teller and you made a typo and I insisted you give me the $1000 you typed in instead of the $100 I gave you to deposit? It is going to come out of your pocket one way or another, in a cashier's case it comes out of our profit sharing, which is really a fancy way of saying it comes out of our benefits. I do not work for SDM but just FYI, you'll get a lot more by approaching it kindly, not with an accusing tone implying that I personally am trying to screw you, which is how most people actually approach it. I'm a human and I don't do the pricing, so please ask nicely and let me/them look into it, don't just accuse them and cause a huge stink if they aren't sure if it applies, it is actually hurtful to the non-robot dealing with you who has real feelings.

Third: If you read the actual policy (which is NOT a law and only applies to stores that AGREED to it, it is not forced on stores) it does not say you get free items if their systems are messed up, only if the price on the shelf is different from the scanned price, and ESPECIALLY not if they have posted that they are having problems. I know everyone likes free stuff but in this case put your greed aside and go easy on them, it sounds like it was a chain wide system malfunction for goodness sake (you can't activate a sale in the computer if the corp master system doesn't have it up yet, each store doesn't manually type all those sales in), I doubt they will consider it a SCOP policy issue, let them fix it, they weren't intentionally trying to screw you (which is what to policy is actually for BTW).
    Noone was saying that they were going to accuse the cashier or try to "screw" the store. I'm not sure why you took this so personally but comparing this to depmanding 1000$ from a bank isn't cool. Most of us Sc'ers are very kind generous people who dont just go into stores telling off cashiers and being demanding.

Also, SCOP isn't just for regular priced items, its for on sale items as well. Now it sounds like to me like your the one ripping off innocent customers and not offering them the scop on items that are on sale or clearance. Here is our official scop thread.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/18594-s...actice-canada/

and here is the governments scop thread.
    http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/01262.html
    Last edited by Sally888; Sun, Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:40 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I take it personally because I have been on the receiving end of it, and perhaps they are not SC'ers but I wanted to make the point, in case some might haven been (BTW, some of these comments did mention 'demanding' the SCOP and there was a mention of causing a stink, I did read them all before posting) thinking as people seem to these days of getting heated in order to get their way, just to let people know that they aren't yelling at a person who has anything to do with it or any say in it.

I am glad to hear that you Sally are nice about it, but unless you've worked retail and recently you really don't know what we go through, especially with this particular issue, and I am here to tell you some people go as far as the make girls cry because of this and other silly issues. I just am trying to make things a little clearer to people on this issue becaue about 85% of people I deal with on it approach me like I walked up to them and stuck my hand in their purse/wallet, and it does hurt my feelings.

If you're not the type of person to act this way, then those parts of the post aren't meant for you and not meant to offend you, but please don't think that people out there (and maybe even a few on here, I mean I've seen enough people on here get really nasty, so I know not everyone on here is even tempered) don't act this way because they do. Everyone seems to be so confused about SCOP, even retailers who are given the signs to post but not always briefed on the specific rules (I am going to print off the article clip on page 2 to bring into work, it would be nice to have the FAQ's there to be able to show the customers who are confused and think that they get items free if they read the wrong price on the shelf -ie: for a different item, that happens too.)

It gets frusrating is all and these comments and the obvious confusion about it is what frustrated me into the previous post, if you don't deal with it (on the other end that is) every day you just won't get it.

You had to go an edit your post and call me a crook, and now you're trying to tell me that you are nice to cashiers in your area? I no longer believe you. By REGULAR I mean things that are actually signed, not sales or clearances, although clearances are always on the item in my store so we don't need to deal with SCOP that. The issue at SDM is that there were mostly no signs on anything, and what I meant in reference to SDM is that because it doesn't have a sign doesn't mean it is the price you think it is in the flyer, often things get ordered specially for sales and have different UPCs on them, and they might be the only thing on sale, not the old stock which they might update later as they run out of special buy type stock. Ever wonder why only one color of something is on sale? Thus is my point. You seem to be taking my comment about customers trying to screw the stores personally too, and although I didn't mean you or even anyone on here, I also just wanted to point out that people use SCOP to try and do that too, like if it comes up on sale when there was a higher price posted (doesn't qualify for SCOP) or as I said before, on an item that is not what the tag they read is. But please, I am so glad we are in different provinces because I imagine you're not as sweet as you think you are as a shopper, and name calling when I wasn't talking to you is just plain inappropriate as a site-runner/moderator.
    Last edited by 0PLS; Sun, Jan 2nd, 2011 at 12:59 AM.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

0PLS, First, welcome to the site. I think you bring up some very valuable points about SCOP and the relationship between merchants and consumers. I too have worked in customer service and it was a real awaking at the lack of respect that many customers have for people who work in retail. Yes, there are many people in the service sector who shouldn't be dealing with the public; however, there are many customers who abandon any sense of morality in order to gain the upper hand and abuse the system (which in the end we all end up paying more). Yes, everyone wants a deal but there are limits and treating customer service reps poorly need not be part of the equation.

I visited the Competition Bureau of Canada's website and it does seem to state that the displayed price must be incorrect in order for SCOP to apply. I don't see where it states that SCOP applies if a item on sale (in a flyer) rings up incorrectly. The way that I read it, a displayed price would be a sign beside the item and not the price in a flyer.

"Scanning Code of Practice

If the scanned price of a non-price item is higher than the shelf price or any other displayed price, the customer is entitled to receive the first item free, up to a $10 maximum. If a Code of Practice problem cannot be resolved at the store level, please call 1-866-499-4599 to register your complaint. "

http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/01262.html

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hello I went to Shoppers in Victoria and was overcharged on Thinsations $3.49 instead of $1.99 and Sunrype juice boxes $2.79 instead of 2 for $3.00. I had it corrected and was told it was my fault because only the chocalate pretzels thinstions were on sale not any other variet and the juice only the orange juice and not the apple was on sale. I wish the flyers were more specific so I wouldnt' be berated by the cashier. Happy New Year

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

0PLS the problem with SDM this weekend was that the sales were tagged on shelves but the system did not recognise the sale prices. It was not a matter of oh well the flyer says this and the store does not.

If it were not for the fact that advertising it in their flyer and not in store (and while SCOP is one thing, they are still open to false advertising lawsuits and could lose their business license or be fined by the competition bureau if they do it, so its not all about the SCOP) they could regularly not honour prices and refuse SCOP or matching the flyer price of their own flyer.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

I didn't call you a crook, OLPS. In fact you came on here with your claws out and most of us are great honest people. But in all seriousness I didnt call you names.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    0PLS the problem with SDM this weekend was that the sales were tagged on shelves but the system did not recognise the sale prices. It was not a matter of oh well the flyer says this and the store does not.

If it were not for the fact that advertising it in their flyer and not in store (and while SCOP is one thing, they are still open to false advertising lawsuits and could lose their business license or be fined by the competition bureau if they do it, so its not all about the SCOP) they could regularly not honour prices and refuse SCOP or matching the flyer price of their own flyer.
    +1

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

**update**

I really don't know where to begin with this story. My visit back to SDM was terrible and will never go back to that location again.

I showed cashier#1 my receipt who said she could calculate the difference and refund my money. She said the only way she could do this is if we went throughout the store and picked up every item that I had bought so she could void it out and charge me again. I said fine, whatever, if that's what it takes. I then asked about SCOP. Immediately, cashier#2 scowled at me and stared the whole time I was talking with the cashier about the issue. She kept putting in her two bits so I assumed she knew what was going on. Cashier#1 then called her manager and asked about SCOP. She explained the whole situation to the manager, to which she replied "you can do SCOP, which means you can give her $10 off her bill once you void it and charge it again". I was extremely pissed off about this, however she wasn't budging. I just kept thinking about how I will call head office when I get home, seeing as this store doesn't seem to want to help me. I also told cashier#1 about how I didn't receive the 20x points. Cashier#2 scowled again and said "well, the sale is over, so even if she scans the items again, you aren't going to get it". Ugh. Again, thinking about calling headoffice about this, I said "ok whatever, fine". After picking up all the items again, I had to wait in line for 10 minutes. Finally, cashier#2 said I could come to her till. I figured since she was listening to the whole story earlier, she would know who I was. I showed her my messed up receipt and she stared blankly at me and didn't know what was going on. I reminded her and she looked pissed off that she had to ring my stuff through - she also said "well.. do you seriously want your points??" with such an attitude. Ugh ugh ugh. The manager then came out and said that since my receipt said i was rung through till 2, i had to walk over to till 2 (weird?!). Cashier#1 was back, so she voided everything I had, then charged it back to me at....guess what... TODAY'S prices and NOT the friday/saturday price. Amazing. I really didn't think anything else could go wrong? The prices were wrong on only a couple items worth maybe $2 so i didn't argue. Finally at the end, she said she would give me the $10 SCOP credit that the manager promised. She tried to do it manually, then tried to pretend it was a coupon, then finally she grabbed an $8.99 item, voided it, and charged me $0.01 for it, then grabbed a $1 item, and charged me 0.01 for it, then grabbed a $0.69 item and charged me $0.03 for it. Confused yet? Annnnnyways, that was my Sunday afternoon, how was yours? lol.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to dispute this? I think i'd rather email shoppers as i'll probably get more words across rather than talk with an agent. Sorry for the rant and the long post, but really, this is the worst experience in a store that ive ever had!!
    Last edited by amymichelle2; Sun, Jan 2nd, 2011 at 05:55 PM.

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

OH dear it was very crusty how you were treated! Not very nice at all, I would call head office tomorrow (if there open due to the holiday) it wasn't your fault you were overcharged!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

That is not the SCOP rule at all, it is each item up to $10 (and if the items are the same item, where you bought the two Everyday Chunk @ $0.89 / $0.59 sale you get the first one free and the second for the sale price. Not $10 off your bill. I marked each one on your receipt below

I would definitely call head office and tell them about the attitude of the cashiers too, SDM HO have always been more than helpful when I have had to call them
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    That is not the SCOP rule at all, it is each item up to $10 (and if the items are the same item, where you bought the two Everyday Chunk @ $0.89 / $0.59 sale you get the first one free and the second for the sale price. Not $10 off your bill. I marked each one on your receipt below

I would definitely call head office and tell them about the attitude of the cashiers too, SDM HO have always been more than helpful when I have had to call them
    YUP...the SCOP rule was definitely applied wrong. The issue was NOT chain-wide (as I made a bunch of purchases and everything came up properly and I got my 20x the points) so you should contact head office and go through your entire story. I do understand that the people entering it into the system are human (I know the lady who does the updates at my local metro) but I've seen the way they handle SCOPs. They've given them to me and then the immediately correct the problem without giving me any attitude whatsoever. Which is how it should be handled.

That cashier wasn't great either. I'm very sorry you had to go through that.
    My Trade List Saved $1993 in 2010..trying to beat that in 2011

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information