User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Trading Score
    10 (100%)

hi-many of you know that I started a thread "having a tough time" and I didn't go into specifics about everything. One of the things that has been bothering me (among many) is that our puppy Coco is getting worse in terms of biting and growling. She has always nipped and it has been a constant problem that we have tried to fix because she is a big dog but the nipping is getting worse and she is starting to nip and latch on and I can't get her to let go right away. She has not actually bitten yet but she's progressing into that. so we have been trying to decide what to do. We have been thinking that she is a good dog half the time or some weeks a little more than half the time and so we thought maybe she could go to a home where there is someone who can train her better. but she is starting to snarl and I don't know if she will bite. I don't want to wait until after she bites someone that we do something. but maybe she won't bite anyone. we tried to sell her on kijiji awhile back but she is half pit bull (something we were not told until after we ended up with her and pushed for answers) and kijiji does not allow pitbulls to be sold on their site. anyways we could try find another place to sell her but we can't be sure she is going to the right home and if the person isn't firm with her, she could bite and harm someone and then it could come back to us possibly right? I would also feel awful if she bit someone whether she was our dog or someone elses. I don't feel I can give her to someone else in good conscience knowing she is getting worse about biting. I don't know if we should put her down or not? it is such a tough thing to think about. I obviously can't tell the future but I don't want to chance her biting someone or me. The biting is when she has something in her mouth or she is eating and I can't use a muzzle at that time. she also gets the muzzles off despite us trying different muzzles and tightening them as much as we can. I feel we are in a tough position. she is all muscle and if she would bite someone which she seems on the verge of doing-it would do very serious damage. I feel so torn right now. I have cried alot of tears over this. I don't know what to do. I can't give her to another person without warning them of her nipping and stuff and if I say that-who would want her? they would say forget it and find another dog. if I would give her to the spca I would have to pay the fee which I can't afford and I can't pass her to them with out warning them of it. I don't know what to do right now.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Please take a moment to visit my blog! www.heatherv11.wordpress.com

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I almost forgot to mention that she still goes after Felix and this week she had her mouth around his neck again which happens a fair bit if we don't catch her in time. this week she bit him and hurt him and I can't lose Felix. she isn't good around children and small pets. oh my word this is so hard to do but the right thing to do isn't always easy right?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow! That is tough. But Felix is in danger!
    It sounds like he definitely needs some training. Is there a place in your area that offers dog training to owners?
    Could you put an ad in your local paper explaining that you have a dog needing a home for someone with experience training?
    If none of that works, I think if I had to make the decision myself, I would take him to the Humane Society. They would likely have to put him down but at least there would be a chance there that they could find someone to train him and make him adoptable.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I think you need to quickly seek out some obedience training for the dog -

Red Deer has a kennel club
    http://www.rddkc.com/training_classes.html

Training in different communities
    http://www.albertadogs.com/training.htm

- lots of places you can investigate; google your area, check with other dog owners for recommendations.
    Good luck!

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Have you talked to your vet about this? Maybe there's some reason for this starting to happen?

If this is an older animal who is starting to behave this way, it might be necessary to have the animal put down because it is dangerous.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

there is a pitbull rescue in alberta please look it up and get in contact with them. they might be able to direct you in a trainer or if you need to rehome. this group helps out with the pitties in ontario

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    83 (100%)

Have you thought about steralization? My parents had dogs the entire time I was growing up at home and sometimes agression issues were solved after the dog was neutered or spayed.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I checked the pit bull rescue for Alberta and they charge $300 to take a pitbull and they are so full they are only taking certain dogs. I dont have that kind of money to spend. she has been biting since she was a puppy when we first got her. we can't get her to stop doing it.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    70 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    Have you talked to your vet about this? Maybe there's some reason for this starting to happen?

If this is an older animal who is starting to behave this way, it might be necessary to have the animal put down because it is dangerous.
    That was going to be my suggestion. I had the same problem with one of my dogs and found out that he had severe allergies and was feeling miserable. After going on medication, he is a totally different dog.

Also, just to keep in mind...a vet once told me "there is no such thing as a nip with a dog, it is serious and is biting".

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

So sorry Deals....I know this is heartbreaking for you and to decide what the right thing to do is hard. I can't offer any advice but just know that I am thinking about you at this difficult time.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Deals, we've only ever experienced this with puppies, and trained them all not to nip by holding their jaws closed whenever they tried to do that, or when our hands have somehow found their way into their mouths, just grabbing the lower jaw and holding on until it's uncomfortable for them, perhaps a few seconds at most. They eventually got the idea that biting isn't fun. I wish I could tell you what to do with a grown-up dog, but the suggestions about seeing a vet or speaking to someone at the kennel club would help. Cesar Milan has a web-site and he answers such questions...

I found this, too...but I couldn't see any cost to it...

http://www.sessionswithcesar.com/les...ggression.aspx

Here's another good article...
    http://www.aspcabehavior.org/article...dult-Dogs.aspx

I wish I could be more helpful...does he just do it when he's excited? Does he get enough exercise so that he's too 'worn out' to play-bite? I know even our Jenny gets barky and nippy when she didn't have her walk or exercise outside...it does her a lot of good to just get out there and run for a while. Does he have his own chew-toys?
    He's exhibiting dominant behaviour, I'm guessing...and needs to know that he's not the boss, you are. I've heard of people having a leash on such a dog in the house...at the first sign of nipping or whatever the behavior, a gentle tug and reminder "No." teaches them that it's not acceptable. Reward him when he's playing with his own toys. We've also used "time out" when Jenny was nipping. She got the idea that when she was aggressive, she was removed from her 'pack'.

I hope something works, and I'm sure it will. He needs to know someone else in in charge...it will make him less nervous, hence nippy. No worries...there's lots of information on the net to 'google'. Good luck, Hon!
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sun, Mar 6th, 2011 at 06:27 PM.

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

Lynn we have done all of that. We have spent alot of time reading and watching Ceser's stuff. the biting has always been a problem and possibly not even because of her being a pit bull. some dogs just have biting problems. but even as a 4month old puppy she was already getting too strong to be able to hold our hands around her mouth and now she is way stronger than that and when she starts biting-you can't get your hands close to her face without the possibility of losing a finger. we always have a leash on her in the house and outside of the house because we can't trust her and Felix to be together without us having the ability to grab her and pull her away. a gentle tug on the leash does nothing though. also she is getting way too strong for me because I am not fully recovered and I can't handle her when she gets going. she bites whether she is calm or excited. she just does it.
    We don't want to put her down and we are going to talk to the vet first of course but we have tried to do what we can to find her a home-trust me! Also we are no stranger to bringing up dogs. We have trained quite a few dogs and had them through obedience and we know some stuff. This isn't something simple and I am not giving up easily and i have been fighting for her for so long and trying to find her a new home but everywhere I turn-it doesn't work out. The spca won't take her either because there is a waiting list to take in dogs because they are overrun with dogs. I feel so extremely stuck with a dog that I can't seem to get rid of and I can't seem to get to a point that we can co exist. I also know that I can't really pass her off to someone else anyways because she has issues. I can't not say what issues she has either. There are sooo many dogs available around here that people would just go find another dog. this isn't a simple situation. maybe the vet does know someone that would be able to handle her. I don't know.
    I don't want to be labeled a horrible person or a monster for wanting to get rid of her even though I feel like one. please don't hate me. We have tried so hard to do everything we possibly could. I just can't do any more. I understand though if people think I shouldn't own another dog-right now I don't think I should either. I am heartbroken because despite her being difficult-I have spent so much time and energy with her and have grown to love her. I am so upset right now and feel horrible. I don't know what to do.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Well, I kind of figure that in our world today the only real role available to animals like cats and dogs is as a pet. If an animal is aggressive and dangerous and can't be corrected, there really aren't many options -- I mean, letting the animal go free and make its own way in life isn't a possibility. If you give it to someone, the animal may still continue the same behaviours and bite someone. It could be a child walking past the yard. The dog has already shown aggression toward the cat. If your dog killed your cat, would you feel as guilty about putting the dog down? When I was a kid, there was a family with a very aggressive Rottweiler down the street. One day, the dog broke through the fence and bit the head off of another neighbour's cat. What could it have done to a child walking home from school?
    Talk to your vet and see what he or she suggests. If something is medically wrong, or if sterilization could help, those may be places to start. If the dog is not responding to training or medical treatment, do not feel bad about putting it down. In my opinion, that's a part of responsible pet ownership.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Trading Score
    184 (100%)

I would definitely seek the vet's advice but this would be an expensive option, too. I think what I'm hearing from you is that you are afraid of the dog. The Humane Society has a "temperament test" that they do on animals to decide if they are adoptable they also have them checked over by a veteranarian. I hate to say it, but they might be the best option for you. No one should be afraid of ANYTHING in their home - especially their pets. I know it's a tough decision, but think how you would feel if your dog attacked a child or a friend, or Felix, or you. Sometimes the right decision isn't the easiest one to make - I'm sorry to have to say.
    Here's to all you great SC'ers
    Join Swagbucks and make $$$
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/avoncallingu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information