User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Transit Rant

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

My DS turns five on April 2nd. Hard to believe that five years have gone by!

And with that milestone comes another. Since we've decided to live as a car-free family, we have to start buying him a transit pass.

And how much is a monthly transit pass for a five year old?

$52!

That's only $18 less than what we pay an adult pass. It's crazy!

Rant over, I now return you to your regularly scheduled evening.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

That is RIDICULOUS! That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard... $52?? IMO I think kids under 6 should always get on the bus for free (here in Ottawa it's until 6 I believe).
    Last edited by xox2010; Mon, Mar 28th, 2011 at 07:35 PM. Reason: --

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ouch. That's a lot of cash to pay for a 5 year old every month for transit. You'd think public transit would have a better system for children...you know, maybe something like they do at the all-you-can-eat restaurants in the USA--where you pay X dollar amount for every year the child is old. That way, you're paying an amount comparable to what gets consumed by the kid

(Gosh, did that make any sense at all?)

But, congratulations on your decision to go car-free. That takes courage, but it's so good for the environment, teaches your little one to be environmentally responsible, and will eventually give him a very good sense of his city with the skills to know how to get around. You'd be shocked at how many people can't use public transit because they don't know how (my DH is one of them).

Even though 52 bucks seems like alot--that's one gas fill up in a car.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Ouch. One little thing to take the sting out is save them to claim on taxes (if that program is still around).

Happy early birthday little fella!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Wow! I guess transit wouldn't be an option for large families.

Trading Score
    14 (100%)

I pay $140 a year for a bus pass I don't use, I have to pay for it with my tuition but I live out of town so it is of no use to me.

I can't believe it's that expensive for a 5 year old, I'm surprised there isn't a family deal or something.

Earn swagbucks while you surf - http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/graciesm

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I thought it was a lot for a little kid. You pay that until you're 16, after that you have to pay adult fares, $70 for a bus pass! That's dumb too. It wouldn't be SO bad if we had an excellent transit system here. Unfortunately we don't. It's ok, but not great.

But overall, cheaper than owning a car that would be parked in my driveway all day anyhow, because I wouldn't pay $150 a month to park downtown (plus the price of gas right now, ACK). And our bus passes are a tax deduction too, which helps a bit.

And to be honest, he's quite excited about the idea of having his own pass! There's one bus driver in particular who squawks if you haven't signed your pass (no idea why she thinks it's so essential, no one else cares). I wonder what she'll say to him? I'll be like, um, he's not in school yet, his signature is a bit...different?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It is expensive. I don't know how often you use the bus system with him, would it be cheaper to buy a package of tickets or would you use the bus more than that?

It would be justifyable if the bus system here in Halifax were better .
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Wow, your adult bus pass is cheap! Ours is $71/month. It's $51 for high school students. Seniors are $21.
    Children under 5 are free, but I couldn't find a monthly pass price.
    Individual price for K-8 is 1.65 (10 for 11.50) ; adult is 2.75 - but there are GoPass cards which are 10 rides at a cheaper rate.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

DH pays $110 a month for his (Mississauga).

orv
    Female
    Trading Score
    77 (100%)

Its insane isnt it?? same with airfare.. why does DD have to pay an adult fare once she turns two??.. if anything, she took up MORE space as an infant..
    Niagara Falls for New years!!! YIPPY!!!!!

Admin
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Do they check id? You could probably get away with another year or two not paying if they dont.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    Do they check id? You could probably get away with another year or two not paying if they dont.
    I'm worried about that. I think it's free until 3 for Brampton (not entirely sure) and Luna's so big, I'm worried they'll think she's 3 when she's only 2. Blegh.

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I live in the lower mainland of BC - greater vancouver area...so 1 zone bus pass for myself is 81$ ...but say if I was going to travel to another zone a 2 zone pass is 110$ then to add insult to injury to travel right into downtown vancouver if I was going to use a montly transit pass that 151$ because i would be traveling through 3 zones just to get there.

it says on their website age 5 - 13 is a concession pass which no matter which zone is 46.50$

does your transit do this?

Sunday and Holiday FareCard Special
    On Sundays and Statutory Holidays you can use your FareCard to take five other riders with you for free! A total of six riders is allowed: Two adults (14 and older) and up to four children (13 and under) can ride on a single Adult FareCard, West Coast Express 28-day Pass, or Annual Employer Transit Pass. (Does not apply to Concession Passes.)
    but which is equally as interesting as did I find this...
    Federal Tax Credit

Remember to save your monthly passes – you could be eligible for a Federal Tax Credit! Visit www.transitpass.ca for more details.
    for the 6months I used bus passes last year it calculated out to that I get 72.90$ in tax credit
    Last edited by greentires4me; Tue, Mar 29th, 2011 at 12:25 AM.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    It is expensive. I don't know how often you use the bus system with him, would it be cheaper to buy a package of tickets or would you use the bus more than that?
    We don't own a car, we use the bus every single day. Kids tickets are $1.30 for each ride, so wouldn't be any cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    Wow, your adult bus pass is cheap! Ours is $71/month.
    Sounds like your passes are only $1 more than ours?

Quote Originally Posted by Sally888 View Post
    He's a very big kid; he's four feet tall and 60 pounds and has been that size for about a year or more. We get asked how old he is on the bus a few times a month. No one has asked us for ID, but they could.

Besides, I'm not going to teach him that it is OK to lie to save a buck.

Our transit doesn't do the Sunday thing. We do get a tax credit, but it doesn't add up to huge amounts, maybe a free bus pass a year.
    Last edited by Zonny; Tue, Mar 29th, 2011 at 07:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information