User Tag List

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Beware of telephone scams

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i get calls telling me to go to my computer quick bc i have a virus. they say they are a company working with my internet provider. seems anyone will do anything these days, its amazing what ppl can get away with.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    we've been called twice about the windows scam.. second time i told them that they are a scam and they hung up on me before i could say anything else
    We have received these windows scam calls many times...I'm SO tired of them calling about it. The last time they called I said we have Apple computer, even though we don't (I heard somewhere that this should help in getting rid of these highly annoying calls). We'll see...

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

The next time they phone, I'm going to complain that I haven't got my puter yet and it was my birthday and everything......

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I'm glad this thread I started is amazingly still on this page after such a long time. I'm glad to read that people are sharing the recent scams, how they are dealing with them, and hope that people aren't falling victim to the calls!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I get these microsoft related calls too.....If I ask to be off their phone list , they hang up....It is such a pain, since my daughter is sooooo eager to get the phone everytime.I am trying to get her off from getting to the phone before me.

But the other ones that bug me are the airduct cleaning guys....

Like someone else said, its best to not pick up if you dont know the number, but then how do I teach my daughter that !!!! ( she will learn in some time )

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks A Lot!!!!!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Just received this call AGAIN! Last time my hubby used the F bomb & hung up on him. Then the man had the nerve to call back & I can not repeat what he said to my husband. Lets just say ur jaw would drop!
    Last edited by NewfieGirl69; Fri, Feb 3rd, 2012 at 12:13 PM.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

They now show up as PRIVATE caller, I can't ignore these as I am on call for work and my work number comes up as private.
    I just got one of these calls and I flipped out on him and called him evil pond scum and asked how stupid does he think people are. I also advised him that we have an IT security expert in our house (I really do) and none of us would every be so moronic to fall for the scam so they should really give up calling us. I doubt it will work but we'll see
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

*if* you never want these guys from India ( or from where-ever ) to call again ...take 30 minutes from them...and pretend you having a hard time finding the "start" button or the "windows" button...guaranteed they wont call back ...

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thanks for the heads up

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by bluebeer View Post
    *if* you never want these guys from India ( or from where-ever ) to call again ...take 30 minutes from them...and pretend you having a hard time finding the "start" button or the "windows" button...guaranteed they wont call back ...
    or the "any key"...I can never find the anykey..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just received the call, and told them that we have a Mac at home.
    This is the third time I've gotten the call

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

OMG they just called my work and I work for a Tech company LOL! They are sosos stupid! I told them your calling an IT company and we know what YOU DO! They hanged up right away lol

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My post will be about another phone scam which is apparently in full swing right now. It seems they target Spanish speaking people. The calls are coming from 1-331 ... or 1-333 ... numbers. My hubby picked up a phone on Saturday. The dude on the other end started conversation like he was long lost cousin who is coming to Canada for vacation and is looking to catch up with the family. He did not reveal any information in regards to his name or even where he is calling from but manipulated my poor guy to giving him some bits and pieces which he hold into and used. He also made my husband feel guilty that he did not know his name. As of the place where he's calling from the conversation went like this: "You don't know who is calling, where do you have cousins" "Exactly, that is the one from ...". Anyway, the guy said that he is just departing and he will call back as soon as he lands. That was the first call. It seemed fishy but my husband almost believed that his cousin is coming shortly. In the meantime we've checked FB for any updates if someone is coming to Canada, called around the family to ask and when the guy called us back with the story he needs money cause he was stopped by officials because he was bringing too many goods to CAN we new for sure it's a scam.
    I know some may say it's pretty stupid and no one would fall for that but I actually did some research on the net and people are getting caught, especially seniors. So pls spread the word.
    Lets stay protected.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

For sure nikagirl! My family is from Portugal (we are close to the Spanish) and they would totally fall for something like this (Including my grandparents) and they always have people and family coming over from Portugal. I will inform them. Thanks for info!

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information