User Tag List

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Beware of telephone scams

Addicted To Laughing Cow TrixyLuxx's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (79%)

Quote Originally Posted by ange410 View Post
    I got the call about 100,000 Airmiles, but I got it at work, of all places - I work for National Defence. It started out as an automated call, requesting that I hold for a representative. So I waited. After about 4-5 minutes a representative started reading his script about how I may be able to win 100,000 travel reward points, and then I talked over him. Basically I said something along the lines of, "How did you get this number - this is National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa, Canada - who gave you this number?!" He hung up. LOL.

neat, my father in law works at national defence

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

With all the technology out there I dont understand how these people dont get stopped sooner. There should be an well advertised number/website that you can go to to deal with these people. Countries that these scams come from should deal with them more seriously. Some people dont know better and end up loosing everything they've worked so hard for, which is so sad. It baffles me that anyone would steal someones life savings. Just because they dont feel the need to work hard, doesnt give them the right to take everything from hard working class people.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the heads up

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have received airmiles call a couple of times. I always hung up. Thanks for sharing the windows call. Never received it and will be careful now.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I never answer the phone if it's a number I don't recognize. I'll google it first and see who it is or if its a company I'm with I'll answer it next time they call.

The computer repair calls only need a few details to gain remote access to your computer, usually looking for credit card/banking info. Best thing to do is just tell them you don't even own a computer, and chances are they won't call back again. Or better yet, tell them you work for microsoft or apple. lol Thats what I do and they hang up.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just got one of the computer scam calls tonight! I knew it was a scam right away but wasn't sure how to handle it. At first he asked if I was the main user of the computer, to which I said "what computer?", then I told him I had a Mac but wasn't interested and was in a hurry so I had to go. The guy was in the middle of say "what do you mean you have to go?" when I hung up. Really just wanted to yell I know this is a scam I'm calling the cops! LOL, but I'm too polite for that... I might try the "I work for microsoft" if they ever call again.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I got a 10,000 Air Miles Call a year ago. I talked to the person and they wanted me to a book a trip and although I had one 10,000 air miles they wanted me to pay money. I told them it was too expensive. High Pressure Sales eventually talked to the Supervisor after 5 minutes, I guess they thought if I hadn't hung up yet they had a chance. I eventually hung up.

Later I saw on the Air Miles site that they will never say you won a prize through an automated message.

I never pay for anything over the phone, even Charities.

Coupon Queenie #376
    Trading Score
    37 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by awhit066 View Post
    I just got one of the computer scam calls tonight! I knew it was a scam right away but wasn't sure how to handle it. At first he asked if I was the main user of the computer, to which I said "what computer?", then I told him I had a Mac but wasn't interested and was in a hurry so I had to go. The guy was in the middle of say "what do you mean you have to go?" when I hung up. Really just wanted to yell I know this is a scam I'm calling the cops! LOL, but I'm too polite for that... I might try the "I work for microsoft" if they ever call again.
    Yup I got the same one a couple times...last time they were saying about how my highspeed is slow I said "What are you talking about, I"m on dial up." and they hung up lol, I was surprised I came up with that one as fast as I did!

Busy Bee
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We had the same call 3 times but we were warned about it on local TV,so I said Id call the police if they didnt stop.It also seemed like it was from India too because of the accent.

Be a little kinder than necessary,remember everyone is fighting their own battles.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you very much for posting.

My friend received a call from these so-called computers techs. They said his computer was sending them warnings about his computer having errors. He advised them this was not possible, they went on for a couple of minutes until my friend told them he was an IT guy and what they were saying was a complete lie as well as impossible. They abruptly hung up immediately! The nerve of some people...

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Got the computer calls continually, but in the last one I started acting like a salesperson--started saying "have you been served yet?" and "what can I help you with?" The guy finally (frustrated) said did I understand I had computer problems? --I said I would transfer him to that department--(he actually sayed on the line for 4 minutes)--then my husband took the phone and asked "what can I help you with?" HE HUNG UP!----no calls since --it has been more than 2 months!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I got those calls a few times and couldn't seem to stop them . I got a canned horn and used it and they have not called since. One buck at the dollar store and problem solved.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

thnaks for info

Trading Score
    32 (100%)

I receieved a call yesterday saying that i won a vaction... and they were asking for a credit card and even when i said i dont have one he tried to tell me that i put on an entry form that i did have a credit card. to start i have not filled out any contest forms to win a vacation where it asks if you have a credit card so watch for this one as well.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I got the computer one to lol! I was home one day from work (Day off so needed it)! and this guy called saying that my computer was sending a virus to various websites I was on and he needed to me help me right away so he could stop the virus from spreading...I laughed right away at the guy (I knew it was a scam) and second me and my husband just moved into our new home so we didn't have any internet or computer running LOL. I said to the guy...REALLY!!! oh my god...But wait..two problems, don't have the internet or a computer LOL. The guy then hanged up right away.
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Wed, Feb 1st, 2012 at 01:09 PM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information