User Tag List

Page 58 of 226 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 ... LastLast
Like Tree9214Likes

Thread: Last thing you baked?

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Abby5 View Post
    Have you tried making them gluten free??
    Yes, I'm a celiac so I have to eat gluten free. I have eaten gluten free for over 15 years now. Making them gluten free can be tricky, I have a few recipes that I have been playing over the years. Right now, my new favorite thing is cocnut flour. I absolutely love it for everything from bread and buns to pizza crust and cakes.
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Tue, Jul 17th, 2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

I bought some of that too Just wondering if your buns can be made gf. I have found somethings just don't work Such a waste when that happens. I don't buy any wheat/gluten flours or baking things but your buns look sooooo good!!!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

I have made gluten free pretzel buns, and they tasted like this...

I'm working through a new recipe now, trying some chic pea flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour (not to much cause it can be sweet, )flax, and need to find something else for some structure. I'll let you know if I get it right.

I bet I have sp-ent thousands of hours baking breads and buns gluten free, only to have three quarters of them hit the garbage, but the recipes I do finally make are pretty good.
    Last edited by hollyquaiscer; Tue, Jul 17th, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    ninna likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Me too!! I love tea biscuits and I have tried and tried with them... My dh thinks I have made over 100 different recipes! So frustrating!
    I find most things (not all) work with 1cup brown rice flour,2tsp xanthum and 2 tbsp of tapioca starch for every 1cup of flour.

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

It's been pretty roasty toasty here in Ontario these past few days, but I bit the bullet and made a carrot cake with cream cheese icing for DH's birthday. Actually, it wasn't even a whole cake because I quartered the recipe and made 7 cupcakes instead.

He's just not a dessert eater (what a mutant!) so it seemed really stupid to make a whole cake that would sit around the house and stare at me and beg me to eat it and make me run another freakin' extra day of jogging to compensate for my sugar weakness. LOL. Sometimes I wish I was a little less interested in baking and desserts just like my DH. It's just that desserts were always a big thing in my house growing up and, well, baking is very pleasurable to me. I enjoy the time I spend when I make stuff and I enjoy the finished product.
    "Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken." Oscar Widle

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

oh really holly u use coconut flour to make bread and cake? does it turn out fluffy? do u use breadmachine or no, i have cuisinart breadmaker, i never liked it, believe it or not i found the cheaper version black and decker does a way better job, this one drove me crazy one day the loaf hit the roof and one day sunk to the floor lol

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

For those baking GF, have you tried quinoa flour?
    It seems like a good substitute for wheat flour, though I've never tried it before!

As for the recipe I used for the vegan dark chocolate cake... I used this one!
    Turns out great every time. Super moist too.
    I skip the "glaze" and use vegan butter cream, which is based off of regular butter cream...
    but made with (unsalted) Earth Balance sticks or other vegan butter sticks. Usually found in the Kosher/Parve section of the grocery store too!
    hollyquaiscer likes this.
    Get a $5 sign up bonus @ EBATES.ca -------------------- Come join me on WAGJAG!
    P.S. The cash out minimum for Ebates is $5.01!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by kashkoush View Post
    oh really holly u use coconut flour to make bread and cake? does it turn out fluffy? do u use breadmachine or no, i have cuisinart breadmaker, i never liked it, believe it or not i found the cheaper version black and decker does a way better job, this one drove me crazy one day the loaf hit the roof and one day sunk to the floor lol
    I hate breadmakers!!! Tried one once, a few years back my kids bought me one, I find you have to use to much yeast and the bread tastes funny. I do it all by hand with the help of my kitchenaid stand mixer. U find it easier and a lot faster. Plus, I love kneading the bread
    kashkoush likes this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by janetta View Post
    For those baking GF, have you tried quinoa flour?
    It seems like a good substitute for wheat flour, though I've never tried it before!

As for the recipe I used for the vegan dark chocolate cake... I used this one!
    Turns out great every time. Super moist too.
    I skip the "glaze" and use vegan butter cream, which is based off of regular butter cream...
    but made with (unsalted) Earth Balance sticks or other vegan butter sticks. Usually found in the Kosher/Parve section of the grocery store too!
    I use quinoa flour in a lot of thing, but I find you have to be very careful because it can leave a real nutty flavour depending on what you are using it in.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Same here...also I find I have to add other flours and starches to it..a lot more ten brown rice flour

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

So today being dh's b-day, Ryder (my grandson) wanted to be in control of the cake (with a bit of measuring and oven help from me). He did the eggs and liquides, the mixing, the pouring into the pans, the decorating of the cake, which was his favorite part Not sure who got more icing, Ryder or the cake. He did a fabulous job. I think he's turning into quite the little chef

Natalka, Abby5, ssbean and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

Here is the bread recipe I use most often for myself. It's chew, crusty and just simply wonerful. Even if a person doesn't have a gluten alergy, it's worth making.

Gluten-free Sorghum Rosemary french bread recipe

Ingredients
    Special equipment *french bread pan- worth every penny!
    spectrum shortening (or other palm oil shortening, or coconut oil)
    Millet grits (or cornmeal if corn is not an issue for you)1 1/2 cup sorghum flour
    1/2 cup millet flour
    1 cup tapioca flour (or, for a more delicate bread, arrowroot starch)
    1 tbsp. xanthan gum
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    2 tsp. egg replacer
    2 tbsp. sugar
    1 1/2 cup lukewarm water
    2 tbsp. rapid-rise yeast
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    3 Ener-g foods Egg replacer “eggs” (4 1/2 tsp. egg replacer whisked with 6 tbsp. warm water)
    1 tsp. vinegar (i use cider)
    melted Soy-free dairy-free earth balance margarine
    crushed rosemary
    kosher salt (flaked is perfect)

Directions
    Preheat oven to 375F.Grease TWO SIDES of french bread pan with shortening or coconut oil and sprinkle with millet grits or other gritty gluten-free substance like cornmeal. (Recipe makes two french bread loaves) Do NOT line french bread with aluminum foil or anything like that- the holes are there for a reason and the dough is thick enough that it will not leak out the bottom.
    Combine dry ingredients (through 1st egg replacer) in a medium mixing bowl of a standing mixer and fold together. Put sugar and lukewarm water in a small bowl and add yeast. As it starts to puff up, add the yeast water to the medium mixing bowl. Add olive oil, egg replacer “Eggs” and vinegar and mix on medium for 3 minutes.
    Carefully scoop out your dough and make TWO bread shaped ovals in your french bread pan. Baste with melted margarine and make a few slightly slanted decorative slices in the top. Sprinkle with crushed rosemary and flaked kosher salt.
    Let rise for 20-30 minutes or until about doubled in size.*
    Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bread sounds slightly hollow when you tap it and is a nice brown color.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    16 (100%)

^^ looks good ...I can't find sorghum flour

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    209 (100%)

So cute! The icing is the best part.

I want to try your Rosemary french bread recipe but will wait for a cooler day. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by hollyquaiscer View Post
    So today being dh's b-day, Ryder (my grandson) wanted to be in control of the cake (with a bit of measuring and oven help from me). He did the eggs and liquides, the mixing, the pouring into the pans, the decorating of the cake, which was his favorite part Not sure who got more icing, Ryder or the cake. He did a fabulous job. I think he's turning into quite the little chef

If you are interested in Houseseats here is my referal link:
    http://www.houseseats.ca/[email protected]

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I made chocolate cupcakes w/ tiedyed cream cheese icing last night for my Bff's DD's birthday. They were soooo yummy. Sorry I have no pic to share

Name:  Tie Dye Single 4.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  21.9 KB

This isn't the cupcake I made, just found the pic online to show you all what they looked like! So neat, I will definitely be doing this again!
    Last edited by MomOfOne79; Thu, Jul 19th, 2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: added pic

Page 58 of 226 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 158 ... LastLast

Thread Information